“A bit pricey”

City Cafe
Price range: US$7 - US$27
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Nestled in the heart of Temple Quarter, with views overlooking Temple Gardens, Recess offers a wide variety of dishes that can be enjoyed at any time of the day or evening. Recess offers fantastic value with light bites, an array of burgers, salads and pasta dishes in a modern setting. The recently refurbished outdoor terrace is very popular throughout the year with young professionals and our weekend revellers, with a retractable canopy and heating for your comfort. The recent enhancements provides both lounge seating and restaurant style for you to enjoy throughout the year. Continuing on our reputation for providing excellent value and high quality food over the years in Recess, our newly appointed Head Chef's creative approach to local and international produce ensures this is at the heart of all he does. Not your typical hotel restaurant, we like to think our service and food quality speak for themselves. Ideally located for business lunches or a romantic evening out.
Reviewed 1 September 2012

Food was OK, but choice was a bit limited, and a bit pricey. When we ate there, most of the red wines on the menu were unavailable.

Reviewed 7 August 2012

We have eaten here 4 times and always loved the food,very good and well presented. The staff are hrlpful and friendly. We have only eaten here at lunch time. Weekdays good, a Saturday found the service wanting.

My only gripe is the bar. Twice recently I asked for a Campari and soda before the meal which they didn't have, so asked for a dry sherry, which they also didn't have. I felt this was pretty poor for a large hotel in which the restaurant is situated. The wine list is very good.

Reviewed 31 July 2012

Menu very sparse! not much choice at all.
chips arrived 5 minutes after the steak . and they were hardly busy!
staff were preparing tables around us for next day breakfast around 9.30pm,
atmosphere awful with same 'lift music' playing throughout our visit.
food ok , and pricey.

Reviewed 2 July 2012

Menu lacks interest but it is solid. Service occasionally slow

Reviewed 26 June 2012

I've eaten here loads of times. The food has always been wonderful. The portions may look small but the chef is very artistic and often the food is constructed like a tower. The set price lunch menu is always very reasonable. However! I think the wine is extortionately over priced and that has started to put us off coming for a 'girls lunch'. They have to make their money somewhere I agree but I like a glass or two with lunch and it's just too much for my wallet at the moment.
The staff are just great. I won't mention the ones I know by name as that is unfair to the others - but they know who they are!