“By far the worst Thai meal we have (tried) to eat”

Siam Harbourside Thai Restaurant
Ranked #437 of 1,712 Restaurants in Bristol
Price range: US$11 - US$46
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Description: Welcome to the Siam Harbourside - an authentic licensed Thai restaurant located on the Bristol waterfront.Under new management since February 2010, we offer a new menu of delicious Thai food with a very authentic taste; from our famous Thai green curry to a rare sticky rice. Why not try our delicious Tom Yum Goong, one of the iconic dishes of Thailand. Our attentive waiting staff in traditional Thai costume, and our ornate carved wooden chairs and decorations re-create an atmosphere of Thailand. We are open for lunch and dinner Tuesday - Sunday. Take away orders welcome.
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Based on the reviews here we decided to make the 60 mile round trip lat night for dinner. We have often driven part when visiting Bristol and commented on how nice it looked, lovely location right on the waterside.

Arrived quite early at 7pm on a Wednesday, place was literally empty and we were warmly greater and shown to our table. Ordered drinks which arrived promptly, if a bit warm so asked for a wine bucket to chill the wine - when it arrive it was also room temp retire and had (literally) six ice cube in it.

I ordred prawns in coconut milk batter as a started and my wife ordered satay chicken. They arrived incredibly quickly (i.e., less than 2 minutes ) which surprised us. The say was fine, the sauce was interesting is it had a title heat from what was (going by the taste) some old fashioned curry powder in it, unusual but not unpleasant. Sadly the prawns were nothing short of disgusting, they tasted as if the had ben rolled in stall sausage meat, covered with sesame seeds and baked of years. Tryly disgusting and next to inedible.

My main course was the duck in tarring sauce served on a sizzling platter, except it wasn't. The duck was stake and tasted like it had been kept warm from the previous day and the sauce was mainly soy sauce and nothing special unless you enjoy salt. No sign of the sizzling bit but frankly by then I had started not to care. We shared what was described as noodles, bean sprouts and ginger served with soy sauce - bland and devoid of any say sauce, when we pointed this out the waitress said yes there was and that it was inside the noodles !!!!
My wife's curry was ok, nothing special and the chicken tasked of nothing and had the same texture as tofu - total cost £52.00 and served at breakneck speed, we arrived ate and left in less the an hour.

Really sorry but if this was the first Thi food I had tasted it would have put us off for ever.
in a word: horrible

7  Thank Chepstow C

Reviewed 6 May 2014

I've been meaning to come here for years and finally did for the first time about a month ago.

I ordered the vegetable thai green curry with coconut rice. Genuinely the best I've ever had!! Incredible flavour and a good mix of vegetables and tofu. My boyfriend ordered a meat dish and was equally impressed. The staff are also very helpful and attentive.

Less than three weeks later we went back as I had to have it again! I have a feeling we're going to become regulars as we only live five minutes away.

Reviewed 19 April 2014

Hands down the nicest Thai restaurant I've been to in Bristol. It's a cute little independent where the service and quality of food was excellent. Will definitely return!

Reviewed 11 March 2014

We travelled to Thailand last year for our honeymoon and discovered the deliciousness that is Thai food. Friends recommended this restaurant, we realised we had walked past it for years and always said we would like to give it a try one day so we did. The food is varied, authentic, tasty and generous potion sizes and the staff delightful. We were surprised when the bill came by how reasonable our meal and drinks were. We will definitely go again.

Reviewed 26 February 2014

Excellent food and service. The servings were very generous with a big range of dishes. Lovely decor and setting.