“not for more than one night - but top breakfast!”
Review of Royal Hotel

Royal Hotel
Royal Hotel
Ranked #48 of 53 Bristol B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 May 2011

We booked at the last minute for a gig in the city centre and no city centre hotels available. Yes the place is old and clearly furnished via auction rooms (bizarre pictures on the walls...), and the carpets are old. Some of the furnishings really do need replacing. But it was clean enough - not sparkling but good. I had a single room, it was quiet. warm, the bed was comfy. The staff were friendly and helpful. I would not have felt comfortable staying here alone due to the location. The breakfast is served in a transport cafe type place, and was a proper good old fry up. Lovely. Free internet but connection very slow.

You do get what you pay for. £35 for a Saturday night you can't complain really.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank gilly6beans
There are newer reviews for Royal Hotel

Reviewed 10 May 2011

This Hotel es good because you can get a bus o train for Bristol, but the restaurant es very poor, old, not nice. The rooms are good and you can park your car in the main door of the hotel. It's good por one night.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 April 2011

My colleagues stayed for 4 nights last week, wish they hadn't booked by company due to late request of client to carry out work. Rooms were dirty, holes in the carpet & food awful. Would not recommend to anyone

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank burnleyworker
Reviewed 18 March 2011

The hotel is a bit tatty and dated and not in a very good location, but in its hay day this place must have been magnificent. I had booked a single room but was given a double for the same price which was £35, it was small but very clean, no wardrobe, small flat screen TV, fridge, coffee/tea making facilities, free WI-FI, and a nice clean en-suite shower room with plenty of hot water. The room was very warm (had to open the window). The main clientele seemed to be contractors, which is not suprising considering the price, but they were all friendly enough. Very pleasent suprise in the bar when I went for a drink, it was happy hour 4 - 8 and only £2.10 a pint. Breakfast was good and served in what I can only describe as a cafe which is within the building. Food quality was good and hot. Overall, not exactly a place to go on holiday to, but if you are going on business to Bristol (only a 20 minute drive) somewhere nice and cheap to stay.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 September 2010

We booked this hotel at the last minute on Lastminute.com, as we paid £50 and stayed here as opposed to Bristol city centre I did expect a decent standard of hotel for the money. Was I wrong. The check in process was initmidating taking place at the bar which is full of locals. The communal hallways smelt musty, the room was cold, the bed had someone's hair on the underside of the pillows, the small TV didn't work. The carpet was threadbare in a large patch in the corner of the room. The place was generally very run down. We left and didn't stay the night.
For £50 p/n in this lcoation I would have expceted far better from the hotel itself and would not recommend anyone wastes their money on this. Pay a small amount extra and go elsewhere.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank hayley789
Reviewed 5 July 2010

We booked 2 twin rooms for myself and my sister and our teenage children. When we booked we checked on the website to make sure there were things for the children to do. It said there was a pool table in the bar and a diner so we booked 2 rooms for £55 each.

When we arrived we walked into the bar to check in. The bar was full of locals and the whole room went silent as we walked in!!! It was like something out of a horror film!!!!! The lady that took our information was quite friendly. Then we noticed a large sign above the bar saying that children had to be out of the bar by 830pm!!!!! I asked her if there was an area where we could go with the children and she said we would have to go to our rooms!!! Well we were not impressed!! This was the first day of our holiday and we didnt expect to have to go to our rooms so early when we had teenage children!!! There is nothing else in the vacinity to do!! It is like the end of the earth!!! The only thing further down the road is some huge iron gates that we assumed went to the working docks.

The diner wasnt open in the evening for dinner so we had to go elsewhere. We eventually found another hotel up on the main road that was much nicer but again, children were only allowed in until 9pm. So we bought some chips and went and sat in our rooms!!!!!

That said our room was ok, nice and clean. No fridge as stated unfortunately, but had a small flat screen tv. We were right above the bar which was very noisy!! Would not have wanted the children in the bar after 830 anyway as there so many drunk people in there and spilling outside. Was quite intimidating when we walked back into the hotel in the evening,

I wouldnt recomment anyone stay here, especially if you have children. And I would advise the hotel to state on their website that the diner doesnt actually serve food in the evenings and children have to be out of the bar for 830pm. If we had known these two things then we would have chosen somewhere different.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank wiggywightman
Reviewed 6 June 2010

This was all I could find on the net but waited to see it before I booked. Glad I didn't. Not too friendly, no food, bedsit like rooms. No, don't bother, walk down the main street go to the Miles Arms. Cheaper, gorgeous room with ensuite for half the price. Pub downstairs, not noisy, cheap gorgeous food, massive steak for £4.49 with chips, onions, and tomato. Cheap dirnks and friendly staff. Free car park check out 10am. Tea, coffee, flatscreen, hairdryer and trouser press. I went to meet my BF who was there with the Navy but apparently there is a lot of sightseeing to be done in the local area.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Skydiver22
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bristol
Berwick Lodge
A4 Hotel
A4 Hotel
#34 of 53 in Bristol
Kyle Blue - Bristol Harbour Luxury Hostel Boat

Been to Royal Hotel? Share your experiences!