“Don't stay here ever!”

Royal Hotel
Royal Hotel
Ranked #45 of 49 Bristol B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 December 2012

This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. Apparently you can rent the rooms by the hour - say no more! Its filthy dirty and I had to place my suitcase by the door for security. There was no where to hang your clothes (not that you would want to stay at this place). Can't comment on the food as there was no way I would eat anything prepared here.

Like others go a junction down the motorway and book another hotel - stay away!!!

Room Tip: Book another hotel!
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Fire H

Reviewed 24 October 2012

This hotel was dirty. The restaurant was like a transport cafe! Everything was old and shabby. Would never stay there again even if it was free. Far better hotels in the area for around the same price.

Room Tip: Don't bother!!!!
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Elliemaemae
Reviewed 8 September 2012

Stayed in this Hotel whilst working in Bristol. It is a bit of a trek to and from bristol however at the time the Bristol Hotels were showing a big lack of availability at the time.

The Room was okay Tired looking decor but the bed was reasonable and the bathroom was okay shower was powerful and it had a bath.

Breakfast was in the cafe downstairs this was also okay

The Bar is frequented by the locals and this can be a little daunting if you want a nightcap but once we had a natter they were quite cool really.
Massive DVD library available if you have a laptop with you.

Curry house over the road was excellent.

Good parking and overall my stay was okay.

Improvements would be freshen up the decor in the rooms and hallways.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 August 2012

This is the first poor review I've ever written. I booked this hotel because it was close to where I had business the next day. As a woman travelling alone I was genuinely afraid here. It was old, dirty, the sash windows were rotten and the draft from them made the tatty thin curtains bellow. I couldn't believe where I was staying. In the end, knowing I'd never sleep, I booked a Premier Inn a junction up the motorway and I'm sitting now in a big clean bed having had a good hot bath and a nice cuppa feeling safe and warm. I'm sure there is a place for such hotels but at £50 for a night, you could get much much better. My advice would be to give the Royal Hotel a very wide berth. It felt like a homeless hostel or something like that.

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank t_hornbuckle
Reviewed 13 July 2012

I had a pleasent stay back in Feb while on a business trip.

The girl in the office who checked me in was a bit miserable, but I found all the other staff to be warm and friendly, especially the Asian lady who checked me out of the hotel the following day - she tried so hard to make me stay for breakfast, but sadly I had to shoot off first thing.

My room/bathroom was clean, TV worked and my bed was extremely comfortable. The fridge was stocked with complimentary bottles of cold water, which I thought was a nice touch. There was a bottle of "luxury" handwash in the bathroom, which was covered in died soap and a bit gross - that's my only complaint with the room really.

The decor was quite interesting; the downstairs is plastered with nude/semi-nude paintings, which I found quite interesting, being an artist. I can imagine this isn't everyone's cup of tea (especially families) - I didn't mind though. Other than that, everything seemed clean and tidy.

The bar is a real interesting place and I met a few real characters while I was there. There was a bit of a language barrier with some of them, but it was all quite entertaining. Beer wasn't cheap, but it's a hotel.

Over all it was great, I enjoyed it. I'd rather stay here where there's a bit of character, than some lifeless PAlouetteremier Inn.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank climbingfences
Reviewed 6 July 2012

We have been using this hotel for a number of months without complaint. If there were any problems that needed solving such as a damaged shower this were replaced the same day by the staff. All of the reception staff are friendly and helpful.

The breakfast is served in the cafe next door, there is a range of breakfasts available included within the room price which are very well prepared and a good variety of choices both hot and cold. The staff are very friendly and welcoming and made the stay more enjoyable and were happy to help with any queries regarding the local area.

The rooms in the hotel are clean and basic but perfectly comfortable for our needs. The prices are reflective of the type of hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Anon823
Reviewed 1 July 2012

Where do i start in commenting on how AWFUL this place is!! It is in the middle of nowhere! One comment called it the end of the earth, but actually it's hell! The carpets are threadbare throughout the 'hotel', there was hair in the bath and the beds (which looked and smelt like they hadn't been changed for weeks), there were dubious stains on the carpets, dust everywhere, the carpeted bathroom clearly hadn't been hovered since the 1980s! There was also blood on the wall by the toilet roll holder! Dance music from the downstairs bar was playing at 2am and it was still playing when we woke at 8am! The room comes with a fridge, which hasn't been cleaned for a good few months, some mismatched plates, cups and cutlery and a kettle which i would recommend avoiding!! The shower was okay, once you got rid of the last 10 guest's hair... But stepping out onto the carpeted floor made you feel dirtier than when you got in! The local residents were intimidating, standing outside the bar watching you come and go, in particular one who thought he would go to the toilet just outside the front door at 4pm!
Only one taxi company would come and pick us up and the driver was genuinely worried for us because we were staying here!

Don't come here, ever! Even if, like with us, it's the only place left to book! Just stay at home instead, you will feel a lot safer, and cleaner!!

• Stayed: June 2012