“Never again avoid like the plague.”
Review of Royal Hotel

Royal Hotel
Royal Hotel
Ranked #47 of 52 Bristol B&B and Inns
“Never again avoid like the plague.”
Reviewed 5 April 2013

We arrived late at night after flying down for a 2 day job. Got into the room and the smell hit me straight away. Bed was ok bathroom small and cramped. On the last night we had a curry front the takeaway across the road. Back at the room went to plate up and to cut a long story short I ended up eating out of the foil container. Plates and cutlery just not clean at all. Pleased to be going home tonight. I'd rather travel 20 mile further everyday than stay here.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank andrewds

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Falmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 December 2012

Only had a drink there once. Couldn't stand the idea of staying on. I felt unsafe having left my car outside - will it be there after my pint is quickly downed? If you really want a treat, chaps, you should try the barber shop on the station platform. Having had you hair sawn off you'll probably be glad of a shower at the Royal whatever the carpet is like. By the way I guess the hair in the showers and under the pillows is provided by the barber shop free of charge - it made me feel physically sick.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Bristol hotels

Kettering, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 December 2012

A colleague and me had business in Avonmouth and saw that this hotel looked ok and was cheap. It is very basic, delapidated, and in need of urgent renovation. It's like something out of a 1950's seaside boarding house, without the good points. We are fairly rough and ready blokes and it even surprised us. The restaurant ambience reminded me of sitting down to a school dinner, albeit the food was satisfactory. The rooms were very basic. The one redeeming feature was the bar wherein one could purchase copious amounts of reasonably cheap beer in order to diminish the overall experience. Stay here if price is your only consideration.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank ward s
Manchester
Reviewed 4 December 2012

This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. Apparently you can rent the rooms by the hour - say no more! Its filthy dirty and I had to place my suitcase by the door for security. There was no where to hang your clothes (not that you would want to stay at this place). Can't comment on the food as there was no way I would eat anything prepared here.

Like others go a junction down the motorway and book another hotel - stay away!!!

Room Tip: Book another hotel!
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Fire H
Luton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 October 2012

This hotel was dirty. The restaurant was like a transport cafe! Everything was old and shabby. Would never stay there again even if it was free. Far better hotels in the area for around the same price.

Room Tip: Don't bother!!!!
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Elliemaemae
Blackpool, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 September 2012

Stayed in this Hotel whilst working in Bristol. It is a bit of a trek to and from bristol however at the time the Bristol Hotels were showing a big lack of availability at the time.

The Room was okay Tired looking decor but the bed was reasonable and the bathroom was okay shower was powerful and it had a bath.

Breakfast was in the cafe downstairs this was also okay

The Bar is frequented by the locals and this can be a little daunting if you want a nightcap but once we had a natter they were quite cool really.
Massive DVD library available if you have a laptop with you.

Curry house over the road was excellent.

Good parking and overall my stay was okay.

Improvements would be freshen up the decor in the rooms and hallways.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2012

This is the first poor review I've ever written. I booked this hotel because it was close to where I had business the next day. As a woman travelling alone I was genuinely afraid here. It was old, dirty, the sash windows were rotten and the draft from them made the tatty thin curtains bellow. I couldn't believe where I was staying. In the end, knowing I'd never sleep, I booked a Premier Inn a junction up the motorway and I'm sitting now in a big clean bed having had a good hot bath and a nice cuppa feeling safe and warm. I'm sure there is a place for such hotels but at £50 for a night, you could get much much better. My advice would be to give the Royal Hotel a very wide berth. It felt like a homeless hostel or something like that.

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank t_hornbuckle
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bristol
Days Inn Bristol M5
#3 of 38 in Bristol
Travelodge Portishead
Travelodge Portishead
#1 of 2 in Portishead

Been to Royal Hotel? Share your experiences!