“Don't stay here!!!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Full Moon Backpackers Hostel

Full Moon Backpackers Hostel
“Don't stay here!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2012

Well what can I say!! Where to begin. Firstly the mattresses are so bad the princess and the pea wouldn't have stood a chance. Secondly the duvets are so thin I was freezing for most of the night and thirdly it's been a while since I was given a duvet cover with so many holes at the seams it was hard to tell top from bottom. Despite having booked several days in advance we were unable to stay two consecutive nights in the same room meaning we effectively had to waste time packing our stuff up after the first night, putting it in a store room while having to check out at 11am only to be told we couldn't check in again till 3pm. There was no attempt by the reception manager to try and clean the room any earlier and we were left effectively with no room for 4 hours and no apology from the manager. On our return in the afternoon to check in again we were met by a sullen and unapologetic manager and then found out there would be a party till 4am meaning our room would be unsleepable till then!! Shame no one had told us this in advance. All in all our stay has been made up if lots of small things that are singularly mildly irritating but add up to make an unpleasant stay. I would not recommend this place to anyone!!

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Cushionh
Full M, Manager at Full Moon Backpackers Hostel, responded to this review, 23 December 2015
Our team are upset to find that your stay was not satisfactory and we can only offer our sincerest apologies for this. Guarantee of staying consecutive nights in the same room without changing is subject to availability, therefore we strongly recommend that if this is a major concern guests book as far in advance as possible. Because it is essential that rooms are clean and presentable following others checking out, we must always allow significant time to prepare and clean the rooms before others are allowed to enter. Occasionally we are happy to make alternate arrangements, but only if this is actually possible and does not compromise our standards. Whilst we would have appreciated any feedback immediately at the time, our team recognise that it was a long time ago that you stayed with us. Many improvements have been made since and our team would love to welcome you for a return stay. There are alot of changes and improvements to see!

Thanks

The Full Moon Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2012

Ok, so it's a centrally based hostel and it's fairly cheap. This however, does not excuse the standards found at the Full Moon.

I booked the twin room at £40 for the night. The girl on reception was very warm and friendly and so I had high hopes for the place. I was shown to my room, with a front door right on the hostel/pub courtyard. It was a cold, bland, dimly lit and smelly room with two single beds and a bedside cabinet. It was raining heavily outside and interestingly enough inside too, as water poured through the ceiling onto one the beds. This appeared a longstanding problem judging by the damp and mold. The beds themselves were ridiculously uncomfortable, without proper mattresses, instead inch thin, very heavy (and stained) 'futon style' on a cheap wooden frame. The bedding was in poor condition too, with just an old thin quilt which was nowhere near warm enough.

I tried to settle down at about 11pm only to be kept awake for hours by very loud music from the adjoined club (not mentioned when I made enquiries). This was compounded by the fact that there appears to be a smoking area literally outside the room. This meant at about 1am there were four or five people leaning against my window talking, shouting and laughing for what seemed like hours.

I eventually got to sleep at about 5am, with the hope at least of a lie-in. Again, I was out of luck as the staff working the morning shift congregated in the smoking area from about 7:30am onwards. Ahhhh!!!

So, in summary, yes it's a fairly cheap option but that doesn't mean offering conditions on a par with a Thai prison! Judging by the amount of negative comments here I'll assume The Full Moon are more than aware of their shortcomings yet obviously don't give a ****.

• Stayed October 2012
3 Thank RumpoleBailey
It is a great shame to us at The Full Moon to hear you were so displeased with your stay last time you were with us. Whilst we would like to draw attention to the fact that at the time which you visited it was a very different establishment to the place we are now. Our hostel has since undergone an extensive refurbishment and redecoration, as well as many different alterations in order to ensure it is an efficient and comfortable service. Although we are situated in one of the busiest and most colourful areas of the city, substantial efforts are made by staff to ensure that the experience is satisfactory for our guests. Our team encourage and take on board any customer feedback, therefore we would more than welcome you to return to our hostel in order to compare and contrast your previous visit.

Thanks

The Full Moon Team
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2012

Am currently staying here for a night and its shocking!!! Tramps have better facilities and conditions! Honestly thinking about going to sleep in the minibus its that bad! As previously stated, beds shocking, cleanliness shocking, smell terrible!

• Stayed September 2012
2 Thank Marcjuleff
Full M, Manager at Full Moon Backpackers Hostel, responded to this review, 8 January 2016
Our team here at the Full Moon are naturally very disappointed to hear that your last stay with us was an unsatisfactory experience. Understandably it brings us great dissatisfaction to think that previous visitors have departed from our hostel with a less than positive opinion of our establishment. As we strive hard to ensure that each guest is guaranteed a comfortable and friendly duration of time with us, this is something we would take pleasure in resolving. Whilst our staff are always happy to try and address any complaints immediately and we always encourage feedback from our guests. It would seem that at the time you stayed with us our hostel was a very different place. Since your stay, we have undergone significant transformation. Improvements include new facilities, new décor and even complete refurbishment of some our old dormitories and rooms. We would love for you to come and see our new hostel, particularly as we have worked so hard on creating an environment which we believe is exemplary for our guests. Sincerest apologies! The Full Moon Backpackers welcome you for a return visit anytime you should wish to do so!
Austria
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2012

If you have the chance to stay somewhere else just run! We had an awful stay in a moldy and dirty twin room. I'm still coughing from all the black mold! The beds where dirty too, with lots of stains and bits on the mattress. The window was closed but did not prevent the loud music from getting in (until 3 or 4 o'clock in the morning). The rubbish bin in our room was already full when we arrived and the whole room looked like it had never seen any polish or vacuum cleaner. Our bathroom door couldn't be closed because the handle was broken. After check out I went to the Ladie's and 2 out of 3 toilets couldn't be locked.
I would definitely not recommend this Hostel!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank insel12
Newton Abbot, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2012

This was fine for a fun weekend in Bristol. If you're used to more quality establishments then you will hate it. If you need a cheap, clean bed in Bristol for a night and will be enjoying the lively nightlife that surrounds the hostel then you could do far far worse.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Ashley B
Cambridge, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2012

I organised a stag do in Bristol through a stag company and had the option to go with a 3-star hotel or a hostel for about £10 each cheaper. Even thought we are all in our early 30's and it wouldn't have been a deal breaker, I've always been of the opinion that for any laddish weekend away all you need is a place to pass-out. I now no longer stick by this rule....

First impressions were very promising, there was large out-door terrace with quite a lot of people chilling out and drinking as it is affiliated with an adjoining bar and club. The staff on the reception were very friendly and polite although they were a bit funny about parking in their compound. Over the phone they said it was fine but when we got there they said we couldn't park there because of the risk of damage. There was on-road free weekend parking not far away though.

That is pretty much it for good points. I've stayed in a fair few hostels over the years but this is the first I've even heard of where you pick up your sheets and pillow case at reception (although a few others had heard of this). We then went up to our rooms (2x 6 beds) to settle in. One of the door frames was hanging off, apparently from being kicked down at some point. Inside the rooms the beds were particularly disgusting with a variety of stains, some on my pillow looking particularly like blood. I quickly made up the bed and tried not to think about it too much! The corners of the rooms had dirt piled up, presumably as there was no rug to sweep it under, and there was nothing lockable to secure your belongings. When I sat on the mattress I had to have a quick look behind me to check that some one hadn't whipped it away as I lower because it was as hard as wood (only about 2 inches thick). As I mentioned we aren't all spring chickens and a couple of the group had ongoing back problems but we managed to get in to some empty rooms and nick the mattresses for them to double up.

The other particular highlight was the showers. I've been to some hostels where there is one in the shared dorm but wasn't surprised that these were communal. There were 4 showers serving our floor. One was locked from the inside constantly (either out of order or some one had died in there), two had broken locks presumably from being kicked in and the final one had a superbly functioning lock but no light. None were particularly clean, not the kind of place you want to walk around barefoot in). Most importantly, all three that you could get into were freezing cold trickles of water, it was like a cold tap screwed to the wall at head height!

Although the toilet on our floor were 'ok', my expectations had been reduced to rock bottom by that point. However, some of the lads said that the toilets in the bar area were akin to those at festivals (I don't want to be too descriptive). A couple of the guys who went home a bit early (midnight, 1-ish) on some of the nights and said the music from the club was pumping until 2 and they couldn't get any sleep which is what I'd heard in a few other reviews. On our last night I had to step over a couple having sex on the stairs on my way to bed but that was comparatively a highlight! I never made it up for the free 'continental breakfast' but apparently is was ok.

The real punch line was a few days afterwards when I had itchy bites up my arms and neck like gnat bites but in condensed areas. Having looked this up and checking with a few of the others it seems that the place is infested with bed-bugs. After reading about this we all had an anxious week waiting to see if any new bites appeared, indicating that we had brought some back in our luggage as that means you basically have to get your house fumigated and even then they can easily survive! Fortunately it seems we were lucky and the itching has now stopped. Top tip here, avoid getting bitten by falling asleep in your clothes every night which worked for one guy (although that won't stop them climbing into your bag or clothes).

So in summary, if you require no more than a place to crash out in bed and get cleaned up ready for a night out then even then this is not the place for you. I say in my title 'One step up from sleeping rough' but perhaps that is wrong as sleeping rough is free and you don't get bed-bugs!

Room Tip: Choose the room across the street in the Premier Inn
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Oxford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2012

Full Moon backpackers is far and away the worst youth hostel I have ever stayed at. We had booked a three-bed private dorm room but, when we arrived, the receptionist gave us the keys to the wrong room. Although this was corrected, he then gave the keys to our room to some other guests too! Incompetence doesn't even cover it.

The room was horrible - it had neither been cleaned nor decorated for a good few years and had clearly seen some 'fun times' during those years. The window did little to block out sound from the busy bar area below and the mattresses were, uh, well-used. The bathrooms had a similar level of hygiene and hot water seemed to be limited to the upstairs showers which also had little to no water pressure.

We had a quick look at the very limited bar menu and decided to use the self-catering facilities and bought some food from a nearby Pieminster and convenience shop - MAJOR ERROR! The self-catering kitchen was dire - it looked like it might have been cleaned last century and most of the utensils had long gone. The cupboards were falling to pieces and the bin was overflowing. And, worst of all, we had to repeatedly boil the kettle to get hot water to wash the utensils as there was only cold water coming from the taps, a bit like the downstairs showers. Ironically there were notices around the kitchen asking guests to be hygienic and wash with hot water. We ate as quickly as we could and departed. A few hours later one of our party came down with food poisoning and I wish I could say it wasn't the kitchen but...

So we all retired to bed. The two of us not kept awake with food poisoning were instead kept awake by the booming disco downstairs which continued until 3am and was followed on by an after-party in the dorms by the stag and hen party staying there. All in all, little to no sleep.

I have stayed at many a youth hostel in my time and continue to do so. I am used to fitting in with the habits and sleep patterns of other guests, and to stick in some ear plugs if it gets noisy but this place really takes the biscuit.

I would strongly recommend anyone considering staying at the Full Moon to avoid it at all costs!

Room Tip: Abandon hope all ye who enter here!
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends