“Worst hotel I have ever stayed in”

Tyrells Restaurant @ Thistle Hotel Bristol
Ranked #1,125 of 1,712 Restaurants in Bristol
Price range: US$40 - US$49
Cuisines: British, Bar
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Buffet, Reservations
Reviewed 28 January 2014

It all started with trying to book. After constantly ringing for about 30 minutes nobody answered! So booked on the day I had a stupidly long wait just to check in! When we checked in we went to the restaurant just as appalling as the check in service there was nobody there to take us to a table so after 10 minutes of waiting we sat ourselves then was greeted rudely by the waitress, the food was burnt and tasted awful we ended up having to go to another restaurant! Finally my partner ordered room service at about 01:15 the person on the phone was the rudest person she has ever spoke to so she cancelled the order. If it wasn't for the seagull at least i might have been able to sleep! So left unhappy and tired when i asked to speak to the manager when i checked out they told me there call him, and guess who never showed up after waiting 25 minutes disgusting service will never be back. To the readers avoid at all costs!!!!!

Reviewed 16 December 2013

For a straight forwards Steak and Chip type dish absolutly fine, the menu covers many more choices but the steak was mine on the night and very acceptable

Reviewed 7 December 2013

A fawlty towers experience.

The menu looked great so me and my colleague decided to eat in. Right from the start it started to turn into a bad experience.

We did get to choose a table as the restaurant was fairly empty, and it was a Tuesday evening. The chairs are actually too low for the tables and way too soft. They are more chairs to relax in than eat.

We promptly got menus and then we were left and left... Whilst others came into the restaurant, and were attended to, specifically people known to the staff, we got left. We were quite visible, so there was no excuse.

Eventually we got to order our wine and the first waiter for the night served us. He poured one serving into a wine glass and the second into a tumbler.... we didn't make a fuss and just resolved this ourselves, though the waiter was "beside himself" fro what he did.

We then made our food order, clearly stating what we wanted.

The food was delivered in a reasonable time by our second waiter for the night. And it was wrong. The chicken was missing from the chicken noodle dish... This meant my colleague had to wait another 5 minutes for his dish and when it came it was substanitally less in noodles than mine.

The sides we ordered were cooked well, but had so much salt on them than I suspected one of us would suffer a coronary if we eat them all.

Our third waiter, a pleasant girl, but obviously one with some nerves, came and attempted to chat with us about the food. And then attempted to poor wine with the top still on...

After we finished, both of us leaving the main course unfinished due to the salt issue with those, she came quickly to clean up and promptly dropped sauce all over the floor. She apologised but no effort was made to clean it up.

In the end we decided to cut our loses and get the bill and leave.

In one sense I am glad we were on business expenses for the meal and our company picked up the bill, but its one of the only times I can remember not leaving a tip.

1  Thank markcst
Reviewed 14 November 2013

To celebrate my colleague's last day before maternity we went to The Grand by Thistle for Afternoon tea - Quite honestly, the BEST afternoon tea I have ever had!!

Tea, Bucks Fizz and a mug of mulled wine followed by brie and brioche, little lovely sandwiches, every type of cake you could imagine and of course, a delicious warm cream scone.

We were very well looked after and had a lovely afternoon

Reviewed 21 October 2013

The food was great and we had excellent service from our waiter, David. He was very friendly, helpful, funny and knew when to leave us to enjoy our meal. Thoroughly enjoyed our evening.