“Great B&B, Excellent Value”

The Base Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #16 of 49 Bristol B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 March 2014

I recently stayed with a large group of friends. The house was well set up to accommodate us, with great communal facilities. All the beds were clean and comfy. The hosts were friendly and professional. Given the cost, I couldn't have asked for better value.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 20 February 2014

We stayed for two nights it was brilliant. There was a log fire when we arrived, we were made to feel very welcome! A home away from home. It was very resonably priced and made the weekend so much more fun than it would have been in a regular hotel. The photos dont do it justice!!!
Thankyou

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 December 2013

We stayed here for a hen do and really loved it, we had the house + apartment so could totally chill out in our own space. Lovely clean rooms, warm, cosy and had everything provided that we needed. Was really nice to have our own kitchen/lounge space too. Although a little outside bristol (25min bus, 10 min taxi) it was such good value for money that we saved money even including our transport costs. Would definitely go back and would recommend to others.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Nlah
Reviewed 7 November 2013

A well equipped clean apartment in a good location.We were allowed to take our dog which was the initial choice for the apartment but we were not disappointed. The information sheet proved very useful enabling us to find a good dog walking location and also vegetarian restaurants nearby. The purpose of the visit was to visit our son at Bath university and the amount of space enabled him to be able to stay a night as well. Very good value for money and would stay again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 October 2013

The location is good - there are shops and take-aways near by. About 15 min drive from centre of Bristol. Apartment was clean and well equipped, beds comfy. Good for families, high chairs and plastic cups, step for sink etc provided. We enjoyed our stay!

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 18 September 2013

Looking for basic and practical accommodation in Bristol, I booked a room at The Base B&B having done a little research on tripadvisor. The reasonable prices and positive reviews were probably the weighty factors in my decision to book. The booking process was pretty straightforward and pain free despite the fact the Amex card I used during the online booking stages was not accepted.

I received a pin code for the key safe located outside the B&B's front door at midday on the day of my arrival. I was anticipating a late arrival as I was driving up the M4 from London in the evening so this was quite a convenient feature. Getting to The Base from the M4 was very straightforward with the aid of my trusty sat-nav. On arrival in the late evening I found parking to be a bit of a problem, the front drive was full and the parking suggestion to park on an adjacent street was also a fail, however I managed to park on another neighbouring street. I remained a little apprehensive about the car as the locality seemed a little rough and ready.
I relied on off-street parking for the duration of my three night stay, having failed to nail a space in the front drive (there were enough spaces to 3-4 cars with one space as being marked as reserved). The car was fine and there were no dramas as a result.

Getting to the front door with luggage was a struggle as the parked cars blocked access, however, negotiating the key safe and getting to the room was pretty easy.
The room I booked into was a single occupancy twin room on the first floor with its own private external bathroom, it was furnished with two single beds, a small wardrobe, a desk, a mini fridge and a small TV set attached to the wall. Complimentary tea and coffee facilities . The room was more than adequate for myself but I can imagine it being a tight squeeze for two individuals sharing. The adjacent bathroom however in contrast was very roomy with a good sized bath/shower, the shower itself always provided hot water on demanded at an excellent pressure. The overall cleanliness was thoroughly impressive and reassuring.

Kitchen facilities were made available for communal use however it was a 'vegan' only facility, personally I'd find it difficult to think up of anything I'd eat that would be approved on a vegan menu so I did not take advantage of this option. Fishponds road is equipped with several fast food places and Morrisons supermarket was a short walk away for those (like me) who weren't ready to take a chance with the local independent fast food establishments, albeit I didn't really use my imagination to procure food elsewhere nor was I inspired to go exploring beyond the immediate vicinity of the B&B.

The duration of my stay in the kitschy place was pretty pleasant and comfortable, basic room servicing was provided every day and although you could vaguely hear other occupants I came into contact with no other human whatsoever (leaving me feel a little like Billy-no-mates) however the Wifi provided meant I could skype away and I also felt like I had the flexibility to come and go as I pleased without the fear of running into irritated occupants/landlords.

I would have no hesitation in making this place my usual haunt to stay in as will be requiring a few nights accommodation in Bristol a month but unfortunately The Base operates a minimum 3 night policy during the week.

If you just want a bed in clean and comfortable accommodation then The Base is the place for you.

Room Tip: Aim to have your own private bathroom and if traveling alone then make sure you choose single occupa...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Gareth Z
Reviewed 10 September 2013

I hired the bungalow for my brothers stag for a long weekend in Sept 2013. To be honest, we didn't expect an awful lot and I have to say, the place was far beyond what we expected. Every single one of us (there was 10 staying - they even sorted extra beds for us) said that they expected much less than we got. The place was clean, spacious and allowed us to spread out. There were TV's in pretty much every room and we didn't even have to rely on a single bathroom as there was a shared one and an ensuite in one of the rooms.

I never met the hosts, but they were really friendly and helpful over the phone and we swapped a few texts too - so I felt they were accessible, without feeling like they were intrusive. They also let us keep the cars there after we checked out so we could get breakfast, which was nice of them.

All in all, and I can say this on behalf of each of us staying, we thought the place was fantastic and good value for money. It was perfect for our stag group but would suit any group of friends - even those with perhaps more refined tastes.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends