“Nice food, nice atmosphere but just nice !”
Review of The Hen & Chicken

The Hen & Chicken
Ranked #734 of 1,652 Restaurants in Bristol
Price range: US$11 - US$26
Cuisines: Pizza, International, British, Gastropub
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: We are a local pub in the heart of Southville serving local ales, freshly prepared food & mouth watering wines.The Hen is a fan of real ale & takes pride in pouring a great pint. Our ales tend to be local to the region with the guest ale changing every two weeks. The Chickens are Cask Marque accredited & have so far achieved 100% each year.Our famous stone-baked 12" pizzas are made from organic flour, we create our own dough and pizzas made fresh per order. If you come down & visit us on a Monday you can enjoy 2 of our fantastic pizzas for just £12 (lunch & dinner). Other offers are Burger Wednesdays offering two for £12 and 2-4-1 on cocktails on a Thursday evening
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I've drank here many times but Thirteen of us ate here last Friday evening. We pre booked the table but on arrival they had no record of our booking? It was quickly sorted and we were soon seated, luckily it wasn't that busy. The waitress came to our table to take our order but had to return to the bar to pay. The young girl who served me at the bar didn't smile, and I don't think she even spoke! So I can't agree with the happy staff comment I'd previously read.
The Thai fish cakes were lovely with lots of leafy salad.We all ate different and everyone was happy with no complaints. This pub has an old feel, sitting on old wooden tables with cutlery thrown into a pot on the table. It's not really somewhere I'd choose to eat but with a big group of us it was fine. It had a student feel to the place and it felt very laid back. I don't recall hearing any music just loud voices. It was getting busy as we left about half eight. It's not far from town and other local pubs. I only gave this an average as nothing ever strikes out at me about the place.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

Went there last night and the service was terrible. Spoke to the manager who didn't seem to care, certainly won't be back

Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

Came here with friends age ranging from 20-27. Not serving under 21's policy is just wrong. They are legal in this country yet not being served. Terrible policy and very judgemental. Rude and patronising staff. As a local will not be returning.

2  Thank Amy W
LarryBristol, Manager at The Hen & Chicken, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Our over 21s policy, was a company made policy and nothing to do with the staff at the Hen & Chicken. There are many bars in Bristol with this same policy.

Reviewed 9 May 2014

I've been here a few times lately . In the evening it is lovely with all the candles lit and they always play funky tunes which help to create the great atmosphere. We usually eat the pizza and I think this is their speciality. The last time we ate there we tried the chilli, and the pork, neither of which were brilliant. The chilli had been microwaved with tell tale dried splashes all around the edge of the dish, it was also quite a small portion. The pork was very tasty but quite tough and I think we both felt a little bit cheated!!
So in the future we will be sticking to the pizzas and enjoying the ambience and the friendly staff and the great tunes.

Reviewed 14 April 2014

It reminds me more of a library. You can read a book if you are alone or play board games if you are with friends.
Cocktails are very nice and food too. The only negative is the food smell (mostly fish) that always comes out from the kitchen.