“Not up to the usual standard”

Radisson Blu Hotel, Bristol
Ranked #12 of 38 Hotels in Bristol
London, United Kingdom
“Not up to the usual standard”
Reviewed 12 January 2014

I'm afraid this place falls well short of the usual standard of the Radisson Blu chain. OK, it's not the swankiest chain in the world but their hotels are generally very comfortable and often very stylish.

This place however, was a little run down and tired. The staff were all quite curt and, in the two days I stayed there both of the two elevators broke (thankfully, not at the same time).

My room was clean but that's about all I could say to commend it. On the last morning, the hot water stopped flowing and, when I asked at reception if they were aware, I was told they had known the day before that it would be off. When I asked why we weren't told, the response was that they had put a message on the internal channel of the TV! What if you don't watch the TV??

This response met with a shrug....

Just not good enough, I'm afraid.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Christopher P, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Bristol, responded to this review, 13 January 2014
Thank you for the review, obvioulsy this is not how we wish to be percieved

I notice that you stayed back in in October and the issues you faced were during your stay then, I am sorry we did not catch you before you checked out or that you did not approach us at the time to make the stay right and to resolve your issues. It is true we had a few challenges during that time, but all of it could have been resolved.

I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay and i hope you will give us anoter chance to show this is not a true representation of how we are

Christopher Peach

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (506)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed 7 January 2014

The Bristol Blu is just amazing, if you have never stayed you do not know what you are missing. Along the harbourside the Bristol Blu stands proudly , once inside you will not be disappointed one little bit. With outstanding staff across all departments who have such a can do attitude they are never too busy to help. The rooms offer fantastic views , the higher the floor you stay on the better, even If you do not like heights you will feel safe. The filini restaurant is wonderful , the
vegetable antipasti is a must , you can have this as a starter or to share. The super breakfast buffet is a must see , it caters for everyone , the vegetable ratatouille is a must eat . The hotel is clean and warm , and very well maintained. There is also take away coffee available for one pound from the bar which is well worth a buy. You do need to pay for car parking , however it is well worth paying the charge as you car will be in a safe and secure location on the ground, basement level.

• Stayed January 2014
2 Thank mmmmmwww
Christopher P, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Bristol, responded to this review, 12 January 2014
What a fantastic review, thank you so much. I am not quite sure how to reply to your review, I will definitely pass your comments on to the staff and I know they will be as happy as I am.
it is always reassuring to know that what we are trying so hard to achieve is paying off.
Thank you again very much and we sincerely look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.
Norfolk, UK
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Having read some of the reviews I asked for a room on a higher floor and away from the noise of Sainsbury delivery lorries. Request was noted and I had no problems with the very minimal noise level (as expected of a busy city at a weekend). Slightly irritated by the noise of the lift shaft, but I'm being picky now!

Large and modern room. Loved the wall picture. Nice bathroom. All as expected of a modern Raddisson. I liked the easy chair as well as a desk chair.

Breakfast -food and the room were also very good. Very relax atmosphere.

I enjoyed the location as I love the harbour front. Not too far too walk to the train station when I had a day at the Bath Spa. Suggest a taxi with luggage.

I would stay again.

Room Tip: Room on a higher floor gets away from street noise if that's an issue for you.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Christopher P, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Bristol, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
Lovely review thank you very much

We do hope you will stay with us again.

Ilminster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Radisson Blu is undoubtly my favourite hotel chain in the UK. This is the fifth RB I have stayed in so my expectations were high. We booked a business class room and valet parking.

From the moment you arrive you are made to feel special, the service from all staff is excellent. Whoever does their training should be comended. My car was parked for me, seems a little expensive but for peace of mind I think it was worth it. Our room was on the 15th floor with a staggering view over Bristol Docks. This really is the best view in Bristol. The room is excellent and my only slight niggle was connecting to the wifi.

The hotel is well located with a 5 minute walk to Cabot Circus and the Hippodrome just across the road. It can be a bit difficult to find when driving, but that may just be my GPS.

Breakfast is probably the best I have had in the last year. Plenty of choice, quality ingredients and great service. Overall this Hotel chain should be applauded for the service they provide. It is worth every penny, and I would always choose to stay at a Radisson Blu over any other chain.

Room Tip: Business Class Upgrade is worth it
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
You are right with the GPS, unfortunately our address takes you up a one way street which is not helpful, I am working on trying to get it changed. Next time pease use BS14AQ that will get you to the right road, I will ensure the team know to inform guests booking of the best possible driving route.
I do hope you will stay with us again and we will ensure you will enjoy your stay again.

Reviewed 2 January 2014 via mobile

Very pleasant stay. The staff are helpful and polite, the rooms, while not the cheapest, are very clean and well appointed and the Nespresso machines in the business class rooms are a nice touch.
Breakfast was also very good, with a wide variety.

• Stayed December 2013
Great review

whitley bay
Reviewed 2 January 2014

really pleasant stay, would recommend this hotel strongly. In a great location central to everything, restaurants, bars, shops etc. Very good quality rooms and attentive staff. Excellent breakfast with great choice of food

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 January 2014

I stayed here for one Saturday night in November 2013. We had a business class room which made me wish we were staying for longer! It was excellent, very well-appointed with big, comfortable bed, a large, full bathroom and a great view. We were on the eighth floor, and I understand that the view is even better on higher floors. Our check-in was fairly quick, even though we had arrived before the regular check-in time, and the receptionist was professional and helpful. We also found the valet parking option well worth the extra charge, as we had our car parked for us on arrival and then fetched to the hotel entrance on departure the next day.

The location of the hotel is ideal for visits to Bristol city centre, being in Broad Quay right opposite the Hippodrome.

There was a good choice of food for breakfast and the staff were very helpful. Like other Radissons we have visited, the restaurant seemed a little cramped for the large number of guests, some having to wait for a table. But this being Sunday morning we expected it to be busy. What we hadn’t expected was the long wait for a lift down to reception; I got the impression this was the usual situation at check-out time on a weekend morning, as the lifts are small and only take a few people at a time.

Although the reception and restaurant areas are quite small for a hotel of this size, I would rate this hotel very highly on its location and quality of accommodation. I would certainly use it again for future visits to Bristol.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for the the review of the hotel, unfortunately you are right about the lifts they are on the small side but we hope that the facilities and the service make up for some of the shortfall