“Lovely hotel....ridiculous checkout procedure”

Radisson Blu Hotel, Bristol
Ranked #12 of 37 Hotels in Bristol
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Lovely hotel....ridiculous checkout procedure”
Reviewed 12 May 2014

I stayed at this hotel with a group of friends, after travelling to Bristol for the bank holiday weekend. The hotel itself is in an excellent position for the Harbourside and is bright, clean and modern. The bedroom and bathroom were really nice and breakfast which was buffet style, was also nice and there were plenty of tables available. The staff were also pleasant.Potential guests however need to be aware, of what happened to me on checkout which has given me a week of sleepless nights. When I checked in, I was asked to leave a credit/debit card imprint which I have done many times before and is normal procedure. I left my debit card details as I intended to use this card to pay my bill. However, when I checked out, I decided to use a different card to pay the bill.The receptionist was aware I was using a different card. Again, I have stayed in many other hotels and not found this to be a problem. After checking out, and returning home, i checked my current account and noticed a £350 pending transaction. When this was queried with the hotel they said it was my pre-authorisation amount and would take a couple of days to clear off my current account. I am very angry about this, because the receptionist didn't inform me that such a ridiculous amount would be pre- authorised and also failed to inform me on checkout that if I settled my bill with a different card, it could take days to clear the pre-authorisation amount. It is outrageous that after I checked out and paid my account with the hotel, I then didn't have access to my own money in my current account for FOUR days.It took days of phonecalls to the hotel and my own bank before this was cancelled, and I was informed by the hotel's accountant because I used a debit card, it could take up to FIVE days to cancel the pre-authorisation. This whole experience completely ruined what had been a lovely stay in Bristol.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank hippychick34
FrontOfficeManagerRB, Front Office Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Bristol, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback.

I'm sorry to hear of the issues experienced and following our conversations last week I believe that this issue has now been resolved.

We really appreciate the feedback and will use it to fine tune our operations.

Kind Regards

John Bailey
Front Office Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (494)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Tamworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 May 2014

We stayed here whilst visiting friends who love in city centre Bristol. This is very well located in the middle of everything. We stayed on a high floor with fantastic views of the harbour. The room was spacious, modern and very comfortable. The breakfast was fantastic, everything you could want with high quality sausages and bacon. My wife tucked into the more continental cheese selection. The one draw back are the lifts, they were slow and unreliable, you'd think a hotel of this size and height would be better catered for lifts.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Christopher P, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Bristol, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Thank you for the review.
It is always nice to hear the teams efforts rewarded.
Thank you anvery much and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future

best regards

North east. England
Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

Well placed hotel for access to city centre. Friendly, helpful staff. Great food, reasonably priced. Very spacious bedroom and ensuite. Comfortable bed. Very nice toiletries. Big fluffy bath towels (yessss). Room service very swift and delivered hot.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Great Review,
Thank you very much.
We look forward to repeating the service when you next visit.

Best Regards

Kent. UK
Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

I recently stayed here for business, it is located within central Bristol and offers valet parking but at £23 at night. Rooms are nice, but I looked out onto wall and smoker cubby hall, try to get higher floors than third. But quite expensive, the hotel would not honour our corporate rate so I got charged a lot more then my colleagues, who had booked using agents.

• Stayed May 2014
Christopher P, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Bristol, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Thank you for your Review.
I would very much like to speak with you in person regarding this issues.
If you could please call me directly at the hotel, I would appreciate it.

whalley
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Lovely stay in this well maintained hotel. Room was spacious, clean and comfortable. Bed was very good. Bathroom had good products and was bright and well lit. Ironing board and iron came as standard and was very welcome. Breakfast was brilliant. Fantastic selection and did my diet no favours at all!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Radisson Blu Hotels

Christopher P, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Bristol, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Thank you for the review.
sorry we couldnt help you on your diet, but that is what we do.glad you enjoyed your stay

We look forward to welcoming you back

Taunton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Was checked in quickly and very impressed with our room. Very clean and a great harbourside view from the 9th floor. Had a drink in the bar in the evening which was really relaxing and breakfast was good as well. Ideal for the centre and not far from the shops and nightlife.

Room Tip: Try to get on the ninth floor or any floor upwards for the good views.