“Very good hotel, but DON'T stay in the rooms close to the lifts, the fire doors loudly slam”

Radisson Blu Hotel, Bristol
Ranked #13 of 39 Hotels in Bristol
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Having stayed in this Radisson Blu before, I would say that it's the best hotel in the centre of Bristol, along with the Marriott Royal. Unlike at the Marriott Royal, this Radisson Blu only has a gym, no pool or spa. Rooms are very good and well equipped and the hotel has stylish, modern interiors. The location is perfect for anyone wanting to explore Bristol, or in the city on business. Main shopping centres and public transport is literally in front of the hotel and across the street. I got a No.8 bus to Clifton Village, it's the best area in Bristol for trendy boutiques, restaurants, cafes, individual shops and excellent charity and thrift shops which you can't find on a typical UK high street and shopping mall.
This time I encountered a problem in the hotel, as I specifically requested a "quiet room" via my Expedia booking and didn't want to be located near the lifts, but unfortunately I was given a room near the fire door through to the lifts on the 10th floor and I forgot that the doors made a load bang every time somebody walked through. I had the same issue in another Radisson Blu or could've been the same hotel, I couldn't remember as I've stayed in a few Radissons. I eventually asked to change rooms in the evening after I returned from a rock concert and the 02 Academy nearby, as I was ready for bed and I heard the fire door outside slam several times. I knew I wouldn't get to sleep with knowing that the noise could go on through the night with other guests coming and going. I was eventually relocated to the 15th floor, down the end of the corridor. It was an upgraded business room, so I was very pleased! and it was VERY quiet. Free Nespesso coffees! bottled water and Coca Cola! The standard rooms only had the usual complimentary teas and coffee with kettle and bottled water in the fridge. The business rooms have different decor, better views of the city and a few extras, like bathrobes and slippers, as well as the Nespresso machine, but there isn't much difference to the standard rooms. It's not really worth paying more for unless you want to be at the very top of the hotel and want the few extras. Staff were very friendly, but one foreign staff member working at reception got very confused over the phone when I tried to explain the problem with the noisy fire door, but they helped me out in the end and I got a good night's sleep.
I'll definitely be back here next time I have to stay in Bristol, but I'll make sure that I'm not put in one of the rooms close to the fire door and lifts again!

Room Tip: Unless you don't care about the fire door loudly slamming shut every time somebody walks in and...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Christopher P, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Bristol, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Thank you very much for the detailed review,
I am sorry about the door noise and I will investigate as to whether this has now been rectified. I am glad however that the team resolved the issue and you were happy with the result.

Thank, you again and we look forward to welcoming you back

Christopher Peach

Write a ReviewReviews (2,067)

Reviewed 20 May 2014

Great Service and great, helpful and friendly staff VERY clean rooms / bathrooms Excellent room service / great food Brilliant city center location Always happy to recommend - I stay here probably twice a month and upon arrival, 9 times out of 10, they always remember me by my name! I am in no way a "hotel snob" at all (I actually prefer a bamboo hut on the beach), but their customer service always impresses me. My Company always recommends

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Radisson Blu Hotels
2  Thank Darren K
Christopher P, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Bristol, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2014

Thank you very much for the lovely review great to hear you enjoy your time with us.
Would be great to meet next time you are in house

Reviewed 19 May 2014

Another good experience at this hotel. Normally avoid hotel breakfasts, usually poor quality and overpriced...not this time, great hot and cold buffet and excellent staff.
Used the hotel parking, expensive but very good service.
Well done Radisson Blu Brustol

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ian J
Christopher P, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Bristol, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Thank you for the lovely review, we look forward to welcoming you back soon

Best regards

Reviewed 18 May 2014

Stayed at Radissons previously, but this was first time at Bristol, where we had two nights in one of the Penthouse Suites. Nice hotel, and good public rooms, incredibly slow lift which has a mind of its own, don't guarantee you will go to the floor you want to!!! Went into our suite to find two television sets both blaring away, and the suite was so hot it was almost unbearable. The suite was a duplex and once we got the air conditioning on it did eventually cool down. Lovely bathroom, with lots of good size toiletries, and all spotlessly clean. Nice touch that the drinks in the fridge were complimentary, but was disappointed that robes cost £45 if you want one* Nicest thing by far was the balcony, however, our outside door was very heavy to open, and had to be wedged in the open position with a chair! Also it was a communal balcony for 5-6 suites, and it was disconcerting when other guests wandered past our window, and made one acutely conscious of not coming out of the bathroom in just a towel!, it would be so easy to put some trellis work up to divide the balcony to give guests some privacy (as the end suite already was). Was disappointed though that the large bed was in actual fact, two singles pushed together. Breakfast was ok, no smoked salmon* and the bacon was really fatty and not that hot. Also didnt like the fact that sauce came in bottles, and that jams etc were also in jars with a spoon for you to take what you wanted (even Best Western have small individual pots, and sauce comes in small containers!!! On both mornings we had to ask for tea and coffee, on the second morning the staff seemed far more interested in cleaning tables than checking we had drinks, and when I politely asked the waited just said 'sure; and shuffled off...... at almost £300 per night I expected better!!!! *Radisson Liverpool please give Bristol some pointers, that is a superb example, and well worth the money, Bristol could be if it could just tweak some of the things that let it down.

Room Tip: Penthouse is great for views, but either keep curtains closed, or don't get naked in front of th...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your comments regarding the top floor, it is already in progress to place separators on the balcony as you have mentioned
Noted your comments on the breakfst but as part of our green policy and recycling we do not use mini portions due to excessive packaging, but thank you.
i will follow up on the breakfast service as this is not the way we want to be percieved, we pride ourselves on personal service and I am not sure where this has gone wrong. i will follow up.

Thank you again for taking the time to reviewing the hotel.

Reviewed 16 May 2014

Stayed overnight recently for a concert at the Hippodrome. Certainly ticks all the boxes if you're going for a show at the Hippodrome or Colston Hall - just a very short stroll away.
Room was spacious and modern and the bathroom was spotlessly clean (sadly not something you can take for granted anymore). I was also pleased that the hotel had apparently picked up on our online booking request - we'd asked not to be on the ground or first floor in case of noise but I'm a little uncomfortable with heights. Room 402 on 4th floor was spot on!
Breakfast was probably the best buffet we've had for some time in a hotel - a great range of hot and cold options and again all spotlessly clean and well maintained.

It seems mean to point out negatives when all the important things were so well catered for but here goes....:

- we chose to book partly because the hotel advertises its bar as being open until 1.00am daily. We're not huge drinkers but whenever we're away for a concert, we like a debrief over a last drink before turning in. We got back to the hotel just after 11.00 and found the bar preparing to close. In fairness, we were served (albeit a little reluctantly) but it was a little uncomfortable to feel that we were responsible for keeping a member of staff late. I can understand if the hotel doesn't feel it can operate a bar so late but then it probably shouldn't advertise the fact that it does.

- we had the valet parking including in our rate and on arrival/drop-off we were asked the time that we'd like the car back the next morning. We agreed a time of 8.30 and arrived promptly in reception only to be told that we should have given 30 mins notice for collection of our car. Again, in fairness, the car was collected quickly but we'd need to bear this in mind for future.

- lastly: would have been nice to have a couple more pillows in the room. I think we read somewhere that we could have phoned down to Reception to ask for a couple more but by the time we realised that there weren't any in the room it was quite late and we didn't want the hassle. Apart from that the bed was very large and very comfy!

Other than that, we were very happy with this hotel. The only thing that might stop us coming back is the early bar closure which we haven't experienced at the other hotel in Bristol that we sometimes stay at. Probably not an issue for most people though.

Room Tip: No complaints about room 402 - spacious, bright, spotlessly clean. Slightly offset from the front o...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

i am very concerned about the bar comments as we definately do not close the bar at 11. I will find out what has gone wrong and ensure this does not happen again.

Please accept my appologies and rest assure the next time you visit all will be perfect.

Reviewed 14 May 2014

We stayed here one (actually a half) night on our business trip. There isn't anything else but good things to say about this hotel. Location is good, rooms were spacious, very well kept and clean. Reception staff was friendly and helpful. We left so early in the morning that we didn't have a change to eat breakfast (only coffee and fruits to go) but dinner in the evening was very good indeed. One thing thought: the elevators are bit 'stupid' and slow. Happy to come here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Christopher P, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Bristol, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

Thank you for the lovely review.
Please contact me directly should you wish to stay here again.

Reviewed 14 May 2014

The Radisson Blu is a contemporary multi-storey hotel located in the very heart of Bristol. With valet parking available (a bonus but a bit pricey), this hotel is suitable for both tourists and business travellers.

The hotel itself is standard international four star fare. It has all of the services that you'd expect other than a Spa and pool. The food (breakfast, dining, room service) is ample and good if a bit uninspired. The staff are friendly, professional and do go beyond the norm to help guests out. In particular, we had a problem with a suitcase and both the concierge and reception team did a huge amount to help us out.

Where this hotel excels is its location. It is on Broad Quay and is surrounded by the cafés, restaurants and clubs that make up Bristol City Centre. The hop on hop off city tour bus goes from outside the front door. The M Shed Museum is a 10 minute walk away. Historic local taverns like Llandgoer Trow are close by. This is where you want to be.

Overall, this is a hotel that I am happy to recommend to all. I would certainly stay there again.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the 10th or above floors facing South.
1  Thank George J

Great to have such a full and helpfull review, thank you very much.
we look forward to welcoming you back soon