“Fine if you don't eat”

Ranked #10 of 38 Hotels in Bristol
Lancaster, United Kingdom
“Fine if you don't eat”
Reviewed 6 February 2014

Stayed as part of a work conference. Room good, prices very reasonable. The food is unfortunately dire. Breakfast is ok, the sandwiches served at our conference were inedible. After some discussion as to what the contents of some of them were, we tried a few and preferred hunger. How can you go wrong with a sandwich?! Dinner was some grey fish and grey potatoes. Tasteless and bland. Stay here and eat elsewhere. It is very well placed and you are literally opposite a big shopping centre.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Andrew-FOH, Receptionist at Future Inn Cabot Circus Hotel, responded to this review, 10 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

I am glad to hear that on a whole you enjoyed your stay with us.

We usually receive many positive reviews about our Chophouse Restaurant so I am disappointed to hear that your experiences there and with our food.

Your comments have been passed onto our General Manager and Food and Beverage Manager for further review.

Hotel Reception

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (391)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Wrexham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 February 2014

If this is the future of hotels we are in trouble! The hotel itself (as in the building) is lovely. But as for the service, it was what can only be described as robotic, cold and everyone going through the motions. The food was ok but I had the most horrid pint of Guinness I have ever had, being Irish I've had a few pints in my time. In 2014 what type of hotel doesnt have wifi in its rooms??? Unbelievable!! To add to this there was no facility to charge drinks or food to my room in case I run off without paying in the morning (the colleagues words, not mine). On top of this there was the most annoying humming noise in the room, sleep was difficult. On checking out it was very very basic 'thats it thanks' no receipt given.

To the hotel colleagues, please don't reply to this with your standard scripted reply, or copy and paste anything from your replies below. It will just personify how poor your servive really is!!!

Room Tip: Just dont bother
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank NIckHughes
P.Lago, Group Operations Manager at Future Inn Cabot Circus Hotel, responded to this review, 7 February 2014
I am sorry that you were so dissatisfied with your stay-the comments that you make are quite emotive and I will try to respond to each point you make.
1.None of our responses are 'cut and paste' and if you read back the management responses you will realise that.
2.This is not the first time you have stayed with us, you previously stayed on the 21st January- the difference is that you made your booking for the 3rd February with Expedia-so if you wanted to charge items to your account you would have to provide a credit/debit card-that is standard practice in all hotels and is to ensure that guests are charged correctly and we accept that sometimes people do leave without paying or settling their accounts-the system protects you and us.
3.One of the conditions of Expedia is that your invoice comes from them not Future Inns-we bill back Expedia not you-hence why on your visit of the 3rd you were not given a statement.If you check the terms and conditions that you agreed to you will see that is made clear.
4.I apologise if the Guinness was not up to the usual standard I am fairly certain that if you had made your concerns known at the time the matter would have been resolved for you immediately.
5.The humming noise that you complain of will have been the air conditioning/heating unit and we always advise light sleepers to turn the system off to ensure they are not disturbed-each room is controlled by a small panel in the bedroom.
6.If you felt the response of staff was inappropriate then I apologise, it is never the intention of staff to be rude or uncaring but in this instance they clearly misread the situation and what was intended to be a light hearted and friendly comment has been mis-interpreted and I apologise sincerely for any offence that you took at the remark.
I am not sure what happened between your stay on the 21st January and your subsequent stay on the 3rd February but clearly it was enough for you to post the response.
If you would like to discuss the matter further with The General Manager she will be happy to take your call or email.
Thank you for taking the time to post a review.
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 January 2014

every one is very helpful the rooms are very clean the bed was big and very comfortable parking was secound to none as you get it for free when you stay here it across the road from the shopping centre we eat at the hotel at night and the food was very we always stay at all the Future lnn for all the above

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Andrew-FOH, Receptionist at Future Inn Cabot Circus Hotel, responded to this review, 31 January 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and that our parking facilities and location were so convinient for you.

We do hope to welcome you back again soon.

Kind Regards,

Lancaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 January 2014

Very Disapointed with my stay at the Cabot Circus Hotel.

Upon Checking into the Hotel I had never experienced such rudeness and patronising treatment by the two ladies on the reception desk who seemed more interested in wedding plans than actually answering my questions.

I dumped my bags and left to meet colleagues, heading in "That direction" as that was the only direction reception could manage.

Thankfully,, there are staff that care however, upon returning to the hotel in the early hours i again approached the reception desk for directions and was very impressed with the TWO duty managers on shift, unfortunately the first that i spoke to and I experienced a few translation issues but the other manager there was from the area and able to step in and give me very clear and helpful instructions, going so far as to ask what time of day i would be travelling to avoid traffic.

The breakfast is of good quality, and is served in a downstairs area of the restaurant, perhaps it would be nice to serve it upstairs so people eating can look out of a window whilst they eat and not have to stare at the walls.

The bedrooms are very well appointed, of substantial size and very clean. I had a few problems with the TV not having a signal which again the staff at night remedied (funny how they could fix it first time yet two calls to reception earlier in the day came to no avail).

In short this is a nice hotel which could be very good. My experience at check in soured my opinion, i am not in the hotel trade but from a business standpoint why are two staff members that care about the customer and offer great service hidden away working nights when others that couldnt give two hoots, are in a position where they deal with the majority of customers?

Keep up the good work Zwoltan and Jon, you are a credit to you employers and good work doesnt go unnoticed.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank J L F
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 January 2014

Comfortable bed, very large room, no wifi in the room a little disappointing, the location is excellent, parking is in the shopping centre car park with small drop off car park at the rear of the hotel.........the receptionists explanation of how to get from the drop off area to the shopping centre car park indecipherable

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Andrew-FOH, Receptionist at Future Inn Cabot Circus Hotel, responded to this review, 1 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.
I am sorry to hear you had trouble getting to the Cabot Circus car park and felt dissapointed with our Wifi facilities.
We do offer free Wifi in our Lobby and Restaurant, unfortunatley as you stated it is not availiable in our bedrooms Future Inns is working on this matter however, and we do hope to offer our guest Wifi throughout our hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 23 January 2014

My Family stayed in this hotel on/off for 6 nights over the Christmas / New Year holidays.
The first 5 nights were OK - the last night was where we hit the problems.

Firstly, when we checked in early and opened the door to our room we found a couple sleeping in the bed. I kid you not. The reception staff don't even know if guests from the previous night have checked out or not!

Secondly, one of the rooms we had booked had a terrible smell coming from the bathroom which got much worse during the night. Obviously this hotel has serious plumbing issues. The smell was so severe in the morning that I felt I would pass out when I opened the door in the morning. Our bathroom was completely unusable and if it was not for the interlocking room we had we would not have had a shower.

Lastly, and much more seriously was the noise from an event on the 6th floor. Even though we were on the 2nd floor, we could clearly hear every word of every song along with the heavy bass - and we were FOUR floors below them. I would hate to think what the poor customers on the higher floors had to endure. The event went on until 12:30AM which we felt was just not on. Simply put, this hotel thinks it is a night club. It has forgotten that people go to hotels to get a good nights sleep!

When we tried to complain to the manager in the morning, we were told that the manager wasn't there and there was no point in complaining to anyone else. We were then promised that the manager would call me on my mobile to discuss the problems. I never received a call. Obviously they couldn't care less.
My advice - stay at Premier Inn - cheaper rooms and a GUARANTEED nights sleep.

Room Tip: book down the room at Premier Inn
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank NZ-nick
Andrew-FOH, Duty Manager at Future Inn Cabot Circus Hotel, responded to this review, 25 January 2014
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us.

I am disappointed to see that you gave us such a harsh rating considering you returned to us on a number of occasions over the christmas period.

Firstly i would like to address the issue of you checking in and finding another couple in bed. I was the person that checked you in that morning after you arrived with a booking for 2 double rooms when infact you required a double and a twin. I personally went out of my way knowing that you were a family travelling together and moved you to interconnecting rooms within the hotel. I also advised you that one of the rooms was ready but the other room would not be able to be accessed until after 2pm.

I apologise about the obvious plumbing issues in your bathroom. As soon as we were advised about this we had our maintenance team go and sort out the issue.

I am sorry that you were disturbed by music on New Years Eve. Unfortunately it is usual practice for hotels to hold New Years Eve Parties and the music was turned off 30 minutes after striking midnight as a courtesy to our hotel guests. We also only placed guests on the lower floors of the hotel to minimise any disruption.

The last thing i would like to address is your complaint on the morning of checkout. Again, i was working that day and although i did not speak to you personally i was advised by my Receptionist of your complaint. You were advised that it could not be promised for our General Manager to call you back and that you should contact her directly. You insisted on leaving your contact details anyway and were given a business card for the Hotel Manager to contact her on your return home.

I am sorry that on this occasion you did not enjoy your stays here with us.

If you would like to discuss this further please email ahood@futureinns.co.uk

Kind Regards

Dana Adams
Duty Manager
Wiltshire
Reviewed 21 January 2014

We needed to stay overnight in the centre of Bristol and this hotel was recommended to us. The hotel is right by the Cabot Circus car park where we left our car overnight - the cost of parking was included in the total cost of £83.70 - which also included an excellent breakfast. The hotel also has an very good restaurant - the Chop House - which again provided a good range of food at an excellent price. The room was a good size and spotless, and the shower was brilliant. I would certainly recommend this hotel to anyone wishing to stay in this area.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Robandeil
Andrew-FOH, Receptionist at Future Inn Cabot Circus Hotel, responded to this review, 23 January 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us.

We do hope to welcome you back again soon.