“It was OK”

The Cowshed
Ranked #156 of 1,651 Restaurants in Bristol
Price range: US$9 - US$46
Cuisines: British
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Local cuisine, Groups, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: At The Cowshed we bring the taste of the countryside to the city. For us the most important thing is knowing where and how food is produced. We focus on the quality of the farming or production methods and the ethics and integrity of the grocer, breeder or supplier.
Reviewed 27 August 2014

Just had a meal here on Bank holiday Monday. The overall experience was positive but this restaurant is very large and lacks personality.The steak was very good but the price was high with every thing charged separately.(£2 for a tiny pot of BBQ sauce)
The starters looked un inspiring and a bit bland.
One of our party ordered a lobster which came very undercooked. A serious mistake which the staff handled well but this sort of thing should not happen, a sign of the 'conveyor belt' approach to customers.
All in all not a bad place but they could do better with some attention to detail.

Reviewed 25 August 2014

This was recommended to us by friends in Bristol and what a treasure it was ! There was nine of us on this visit , this didn't cause any problems . The waiter was polite explaining the menu .the food was outstanding we had the seafood starter for two and that was just enough , several of our party had the steak for two and they all said how good it was ! I had the grilled lamb,it was cooked perfectly moist and mouthwatering! We thought it was vey good value and next time I visit Bristol I will be going back for a return visit!

Reviewed 23 August 2014

I thought this was a nice restaurant, good food and pleasant ambience. The staff could be a little better trained; I asked our waitress if the asparagus was English and she said yes (this in August, so probably correct) but not with any great conviction, and then muttered 'well, I think it is'. I didn't bother checking if the scallops were hand-dived because I wasn't confident that she would know. Ordered something else! The wine selection was not great, and though they have good dessert wines the desserts themselves don't really go well with them. So I would say it's great for an evening meal, but I wouldn't come here with my husband for something special. If you want that, check out Bell's Diner in Montpelier!

Reviewed 22 August 2014

The £10 lunch presents good value but perhaps not the largest of portions. Left the male members of the party still feeling hungry. With most of the choices, vegetables came at an extra cost. Described as "Jam Roly Poly", what came was a rather bland Swiss Roll with no cream in sight. On the good side, a lot of the food was well prepared and presented. I agree with the complaint about charging £1 for a bottle of tap water and not being warned of the cost.

Reviewed 20 August 2014

Great steak, wonderful sides (try the garlic mushrooms). The location is awesome. Just go here already.