“Why are vegans and vegetarians so often sold short?”
Review of Banco Lounge

Banco Lounge
Ranked #622 of 1,651 Restaurants in Bristol
Price range: US$5 - US$16
Cuisines: Contemporary, British, Bar, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: 'The Lounges' are informal, neighbourhood food led cafe/bars open all-day everyday where families, friends, and locals can come for a coffee, a drink, or something to eat in a relaxed comfortable environment.The Lounge menu is available all-day and offers a wide range of dishes including an extensive brunch menu, a selection of proper-job burgers, a great selection of tapas & more restaurant-in-style monthly specials. There is an extensive selection of coffee/tea, cakes and pastries, smoothies and fresh juice, and a small selection of wines, draught beers & cocktails.Banco opened in June 2006. The premises had most recently been used by the YMCA who had occupied the space when Lloyds Bank closed their branch there. Lloyds's sandstone frontage still remains. Banco has arguably has the most character of all 'the Lounges' with high ceilings, cornices, & an unusual trading space.Banco Lounge is situated in the very 'up-and-coming' suburb of Totterdown, which is famed for its tightly packed streets filled with colourful houses.
Reviewed 6 July 2014

As vegetarian and vegan diners it's tiresome to chose a dish based on the menu description to be faced with something that doesn't live up to the promises. it's particularly galling when the establishment has a separate vegan menu. I chose the felafel burger and my companion chose the Sweet potato, butternut squash, puy lentil and spinach curry - note the term curry here. Both dishes are offered at the same price as their vegetarian versions, no discount is made for the change in ingredients (for 'change' read missing - there's nothing offered instead). Our food arrived promptly but on closer inspection wasn't what was so exactly described on the menu. The felafel burger is supposed to be made of butternut squash with a seasoning of nutmeg. All I could taste was lentil/yellow split pea - very plain and bland tasting by comparison. The house slaw was in a piddling little pot, barely a forkful. The burger bun was a soft white roll not a sourdough roll as promised. The cos lettuce was brown at the edges and had clearly seen better days. My companion's curry didn't taste of curry - it tasted of lentils. Spinach leaves had been thrown in at the last minute. It was served with a side of naan bread which the waiter said was vegan when questioned. We are still not convinced that they had bought in vegan naan bread as the menu doesn't state that it's part of the vegan version of the dish. We ate at Banco Lounge because friends had recommended them. Suffice to say it was a mistake and we won't be going back to this particular branch nor will we take our chances (in case it was just a rubbish chef at Banco) at another branch. It's poor value for money, bland careless food for vegan diners. Such a shame and a wasted opportunity. Sort it out!

Reviewed 28 May 2014

I have eaten here many times and the meals we have had have ranged from average to poor. After the last meal we had there I have been prompted to write a review. The childrens menu is limited and the burger is tiny so really only suitable for a toddler the chips we had with our main course were cold and the coleslaw with our burger really only amounted to a mouth full (if that). Really really disappointing, we have had the tapas many times and this again has been hit and miss, ranging from meatballs like bullets but nice bread. Please Banco up your game and provide a better kids menu with more options and better value

Alan U, Manager at Banco Lounge, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Rboo44, after reading through your review of us here at Banco Lounge, I would like to firstly say that any and every view point from our customers is taken with severity, good points and bad.

The portion sizes for the 'little loungers' are designed for smaller children but we also have 'a little bit bigger' menu available which I feel would have been better suited for your needs. I have informed my staff to use the initiative and look to see how old the children that eating with us are, and prompt the correct menu choices!

The house slaw is designed to accompany the dish as a garnish but as we speak, the portion sizes are being looked into by the Executive Chef. The fact that your fries were not to temperature is frankly just not acceptable and I apologize wholeheartedly.

If you would allow me the chance to rectify our mistakes on your last visit, then I would be very happy to organize a time at your convenience to pop back into Banco and enjoy the Food and Service that Lounges prides itself on.

Please feel free to contact me either by phone 0117 9086010 or email banco@thelounges.co.uk

Thank you again for your honest review and I look forward to hearing from you

Martin Connelly

Reviewed 22 May 2014

We go here quite often, most weekends in fact, because we live near by so it's nice to have somewhere local to hang out. The food is fab with a wide selection to suit everyone. The staff are always very friendly and helpful. They also allow dogs in which is a bonus, if you have a dog! They cater for everyone and always have a nice mix of friends, couples and families. The pulled pork panini is a must..........yum :-)

Alan U, Manager at Banco Lounge, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Well thank you ever so much for your lovely kind words. We try our up most to give all of customers a warm welcome and to relax in comfortable surroundings. It wouldn't be the same if you couldn't bring the dog along as well!

The pork Panini is delicious but I have to admit that the twisted chicken club sandwich is my favorite. Might I suggest you give it a try next time you come in to see us.

Looking forward to your return and thank you once again for the review.

Martin Connelly

Reviewed 5 April 2014

We are very frequent frequenters of the banco lounge... The food is great,especially the veggies specials..really great combinations gnocchi,feta and mushrooms...yum..even had it for breakfast last week as knew menu changes each month & didn't want to miss last chance to taste it again! We are not veggie so also get to enjoy the amazing lounge burgers and many different tapas dishes.. This is all topped off with a very friendly and chatty staff team, all overseen by the very amiable manager Alan who always welcome us with a smile and a good laugh.. Keep up the good work guys and we will keep on coming..highly recommended from breakfast to beer.. Veggie to carnivore you can't go wrong with a visit to this restaurant and the added bonus ..20% off with voucher cloud..

1  Thank Frankipanki
Alan U, General Manager at Banco Lounge, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2014

You are a darlin' arn't you. We all enjoy your visits to Banco for one reason or another and you are most welcome anytime. I promise no more science experiments at your table on your next visit.

Actually on your next visit bring in a medium length of string, a piece of doweling no longer 18cm, an old boot, a box of matches and a spool of magnesium. Fun Fun Fun.

See you soon no doubt.

Much love Alan and the Team.

Reviewed 26 March 2014

The food we got was delicious but not what we ordered. Fish finger sandwiches were the choice but fish and chips actually arrived. A shame that some of the advertised desserts had been culled from the menu. Still enjoyed the visit

Alan U, Manager at Banco Lounge, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2014

Hello Ruth

Thankyou for taking the time to give us your review.

Firstly I'm really glad to hear you enjoyed your visit and you will be pleased to know we now have all the deserts listed on the menu available. I'm very sorry you didn't get what you ordered even if you did enjoy the what you did have we are proud of the work service we give inspite of that it's our duty to get your order right! please do come again soon and we will give you the full service you expect and deserve.

Yours sincerely