“Great budget hotel”

Holiday Inn Express Bristol City Centre
Ranked #19 of 39 Hotels in Bristol
Reviewed 27 August 2013

If travelling by train, the really brilliant thing about this hotel is that you walk out of Temple Meads and it is in front of you. Drop your bags and head off for a coffee or something stronger on the waterfront, 5 mins walk away.
Rooms were really clean with good air con and well soundproofed windows. It was well worth the money.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
HIEBristol, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bristol City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2013

Dear MosyMoo,

Thank you so much for this positive review of our Hotel. We do find that being within walking distance to Temple Meads Train Station , offers such a great opportunity for quick transport links to all corners of this great country. The team and I are also very heartened to hear that you found your stay enjoyable and of course look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Kind regards

John Morton - Senior Guest Service Manager

Reviewed 25 August 2013

Stayed at this hotel for a couple of weeks, without doubt the worst holiday inn express I have ever stayed at. The establishment is outdated the decor is appalling and the management incompetent.
BEWARE I booked a best flexible rate but was charged for the full stay the evening before I arrived, it took 5 working days for my card to get reimbursed, the cancellation policy is 4 pm on the day of arrival if my plans hadchanged I was screwed. I complained and was heard but nothing was done. They also managed to book my Italian colleagues room and send the holiday inn points to my account even though he had booked separately and from another country.
The room I was given had wine stains on the carpet, the lamp shade was missing and I found the communal areas to be dirty.
Do not wasted your money on this place, it is centrally located but so are dozens more professionally run hotels in Bristol, the management are at best incompetent and the hotel a blot on the usually very good holiday inn chain.

• Stayed: May 2013
HIEBristol, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bristol City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2013

Dear Homer

Thank you for your feedback. Although I must admit I do somewhat enjoy that classic hotel series, I am somewhat disappointed you would compare standard IHG procedures to this.
In regards to the preauthorisation of your card, which was explained both on check-in and printed on the registration card that you sign at every IHG hotel. We use pre-authorisations to speed up Rewards card members’ check-ins, hence why it was done prior to your arrival rather than at the desk itself. If you are cancelling your stay last minute, then certainly pre-authorisations are released however we unfortunately cannot speed up your banks communication on this.

As regards to the interior which you’ll be pleasantly surprised to hear we are undergoing a soft refurbishment, expected completion date mid Sept 2013! So I’m sure you will be eager to come down and see for yourself, how we both listen and invest in our hotel, for both our guest’s convenience and enjoyment during their stay.

Once again thank you for your response, certainly if you are looking to discuss with me further your past experience, or indeed would like to join for a coffee to tour our new facilities, please do not hesitate to contact the hotel or email me on sgsm@hiexpressbrsitol.co.uk

John Morton
​Senior Guest Service Manager

Reviewed 21 August 2013

A nice hotel with good staff. The air conditioning in the rooms is excellent, the shower is big (but not particularly powerful) and there is an odd wooden square on the wall.

The hotel is located right opposite Temple Meads Station with access to all their taxi ranks only 3 minutes walk and might be ideal as a base to travel to Bath. The hotel was undergoing a much needed refit as Express's I have been in benefited from the improved furnishings etc.

Breakfast was slightly better than at some other Holiday Inn Express hotels but pretty much the same (and free). Parking is available at the hotel costing £6 per stay and is in the large gated car park behind the hotel.

Not a bad hotel which will be made very good after the refit.

Room Tip: Park in the temporary bay and go to the desk to get a code to get into the £6 per night parking gara...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
HIEBristol, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bristol City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2013

Dear LiverpoolSt
Thank you for taking your time to post a review for us. We are pleased to hear that you have enjoyed your stay at our hotel. As mentioned, we are currently undergoing a refurbishment program and the little wooden panel was put up due to relocating of wall lamp and our new artwork will cover the little panel once arrived. It is a very exciting time for us and we hope to have you return to stay with us again in the near future to try our newly refurbished room.

Reviewed 19 August 2013

I stayed in the Holiday Inn very recently and found it to be a very comfortable and friendly hotel which is in a very convenient location. Right opposite the main train station and a short walk from the city centre and docks area. I have to give a special mention to a member of staff at the reception who went to great lengths to help me out in obtaining my boarding passes for my flight home at very short notice. Thank you Kayleigh Hook your help was very much appreciated.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
HIEBristol, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bristol City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2013

Dear dermurray285
Please allow me to take this opportunity to thank you for posting such as positive review for our hotel and we are also delighted to hear that Kayleigh has received a special mention for delivering great customer service. Once again, thank you dermurray285 and we look forward to having you stay with us again soon.

Reviewed 14 August 2013

Booked 7 twin rooms through Laterooms - when phoning to cancel a room was told that we had 7 doubles.....not best accommodation for 14 men on cricket tour!! Disappointing that the hotel did not contact me!! After much hassle a part solution of 6 twins for 2 nights and then doubles for last night. Seemed like a reasonable compromise until another payment for the room we did not use was taken from my account 3 days after our stay- still being looked into by Laterooms, hotel and HIE..............out of pocket to the tune of £260!!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Wicketkeeper2013

Dear Wicketkeeper

Disappointed then dismayed, indeed Mr Wicketkeeper.

Thank you once again for yet another review. As we have attempted to explain on all your cricket teams’ previous reviews so far, if you book doubles with LATEROOMS (a third party agent) expecting twins to be presented by the hotel on arrival, then unfortunately you will be disappointed if the hotel is fully booked.

My colleague was trying to be hospitable by offering you twins at the tail end of your stay, as soon as she learned of your booking error (which you accepted) however it now seems this effort was perceived by your team as unhelpful or unprofessional.

Even LATEROOMS management attempted three times, at our request to speak to you prior to your arrival, yet I remind you once again, you were still happy to maintain the original reservation rather than cancel.

In summary, I am sincerely delighted to hear LATEROOMS management are finally looking into your reservation with them. Certainly for the benefit of other guests, we will be keeping a close eye on future weekend group bookings being directed via this third party agent.

Should you wish to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at the hotel or indeed email me at sgsm@hiexpressbristol.co.uk

John Morton - Senior Guest Service Manager

Reviewed 14 August 2013

I stay regularly in this hotel. It has a good location just across the train station and the staff is very helpful. Everything is quiet close to the hotel: city centre, harbour side, old city. Good hotel worth of money.

Room Tip: Choose a room overlooking to train station, very nice view.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business

Dear edina a
Thank you for sharing your stay experience in our hotel with fellow travellers and we look forward to receiving you again on your next visit to Bristol.

Reviewed 14 August 2013

The hotel is down the block fromTemple Meads and so it was very convenient to stay here. It is about a 20 minute walk to the city center but it really is not that bad of a walk. Most of the inclines in the city are in the city center itself. The hotel was clean, quiet, and our room was just fine. it may be that our room was quiet because we were on the fourth floor. Breakfast was mediocre. Also, there is only one lift, so a few times we took the stairs. The people at the front desk were very nice.Even though it is not in the city center, I believe it was a great choice since the next day we were at the train station in less than five minutes.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Europeantraveler0504
Thank you for taking your time to post a review for us and sharing your experience with fellow travellers. As mentioned, our hotel has a perfect location due to it's close proximity to Bristol Temple Meads Train Station, making it very convenient for both business and leisure guests. We are very happy to hear that you have had a pleasant stay and our customer service has met your expectation. We hope to have you staying with us again on your next visit to our lovely city.