“Recommended hotel, great location for Temple Meads station.”

Holiday Inn Express Bristol City Centre
Ranked #19 of 39 Hotels in Bristol
Reviewed 1 September 2013

I stayed in the hotel at the same time as the previous reviewer and I had no problems at all. I was on the fourth floor so I didn't hear the stag party mentioned below, but anyway I had no problems with cleanliness or soundproofing. I've stayed in many Holiday Inn Express hotels around the UK and the standards were as good here as in any other. At check-in, the receptionist warned me about the redecoration work and moved me to the fourth floor so I would not be disturbed by it.

The free wi-fi was great (it was free because I am a Rewards Club member) and the bar was nice with Sky Sports and food/beer available. I normally choose a hotel based on location, and this was perfect for me as it was a 2 minute walk from Temple Meads railway station. If you needed to be in the city centre, however, I would recommend a more central hotel as the station is quite a distance from the city.

The only disappointment was that the TV had a limited range of channels, there was no ITV4 for example so I was unable to watch the football on Thursday night.

Still a recommended hotel!

Room Tip: The fourth floor was quiet.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
HIEBristol, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bristol City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2013

Dear Est 1993;

Thank you for your feedback and your positive comparison regards other Holiday Inn Express Hotels. Our refurbishment certainly will provide answers to many concerns which have been highlighted in the past and I hope will reflect our aim as a team and company, to listen and attempt where possible, to meet and exceed our guest expectations.

With regards to the TV’s, plans are afoot to update facilities there too, so please “stay tuned” while the powers that be work out a suitable timeframe...

Once again thank you for your review and I sincerely hope to see you back again soon at our Bristol Hotel!

Kind regards,

sgsm@hiexpressbristol.co.uk

0117 930 4800

Reviewed 28 August 2013

Having decided to break up a lengthy journey to Cornwall, we opted to stay in Bristol and hunted for a hotel that had decent reviews. We were thrilled to come across the Holiday Inn Express in the centre, which appeared to have good Internet reviews from various sites and appeared to be a reasonable rate. We'd stayed in Holiday Inn Expresses several times before and knew they were standard comfortable rooms, but as it was to be a stop-gap it would be perfect. How wrong can two people be?

We were staying with our 2 year old daughter and were placed in a room which was a mixture of Magaluf meets Grand Central Station. Although we weren't aware of this rooms misgivings until the early hours as we would have instantly asked to be moved. We were in a room right above the main entrance to the hotel, with the stairwell/lift to one wall, and a Welsh stag doo to the other. Room 103.

Needless to say our sleep was non-existent due to the raucous goings on as people returned from various pubs and clubs which started at about 2am. Having stayed in hotels all over the World, my husband and I were shocked by the lack of sound proofing in a relatively modern hotel, not only from the outside entrance but between the walls and doors. Awful.

The final straw was hearing the stag doo restart the nightclub they'd been to previously followed by several thumps to our wall and the sounds of someone be sellotaped to an item of furniture.

A complaint was made to the night porter about the noise and he did come to have a word with the group but it didn't exactly quieter them down, and actually why should it? They'd paid just as much as we had.

Please don't get me wrong, we have no ill feeling to the stag doo (ok, maybe we did at 4 in the morning) as they were doing EXACTLY what is expected when lads get together. And being a North East girl, I've been trained to full on party. I entirely blame the inept staff who placed a FAMILY beside a group of lads.

As is to be expected, sleep deprivation ensured we picked all the faults of the room itself. They were as follows:

Dirty edges of the bathroom floor (it merely looked like the centre of the floor had been moped).

No shower curtain which meant the water cascaded onto the floor thus making it perilous (maybe this was their cleaning solution).

Dirty bathroom grout and hair in the plug outlet (yuk, yuk, yuk).

An air conditioning unit that knew two temperatures; on or off! The magic mythical numbers of Celsius were exactly that - mythical.

Double glazed windows which I think were glazed with sugar as surely double glazing is supposed to keep noise out? The road out the front is used as a drag-strip from about 1am!

Wine stains on the carpet.

Then the main hotel:

Ice machine with NO cups to stock up. And correct me if I'm wrong, but ice melts in your hands doesn't it?

As stated on previous hotel customer service feedbacks the hotel is indeed under-going a period of redecoration and it will need it after the painters they had completing the job allowed the paint tins to leave white ring marks all over the lift entrance carpet - trust me, I watched them pick up the tins and attempt to rub the paint in with their feet!!!!

Upon checkout, we informed the member of staff on duty of our horrific nights "sleep" who referred us to the duty manager. She was highly apologetic and offered us a significant reduction on our stay - having NEVER complained about a hotel before we thought this was the only resolution that could come out of an unmitigated disaster of a nights stay. So excepted then went on our way fuelled by a gargantuan amount of coffee; not exactly the way I wanted to start my family holiday. Except now, having informed friends and family (one of which works at a top hotel in Harrogate) they have all stated that the resolution should not have been accepted. It simply wasn't good enough.

We are so universally disappointed in the Holiday Inn Express and can not believe they have allowed such bad service to infiltrate their brand. Furthermore, it is fascinating to see that management has time to respond to EVERY piece of feedback they receive on here. I can understand them wanting to qualify their inadequacies and respond to negativity but really, long winded responses to positive???!!!!! maybe if they spent more time supporting and ensuring their hotel was running effectively and happily without a glitch there would be queues to get into this centrally located city hotel.

Please, if you are going to choose to ignore my review and those with similar experiences and still stay here, if you're offered room 103 RUN AWAY!!!!!!

Room Tip: Avoid room 103, and ignore my swimming pool review, there isn't one but it won't let me take...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
HIEBristol, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bristol City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2013

Dear Charlotte

Where mistakes are made, we as a team will fully put our hands up and I can assure you, rectify as best as we can, our commitment to the guest. I can see, that you are still aggrieved by your experience and of course, so you should be. For what appeared to be an attempt to alleviate your bad experience by our Duty Manger on Check out, was obviously now upon reading this, not to a suitable degree. But does that mean then that we do merit a second chance to fix this? Or as you quite firmly resound to believing, I should ignore this review and pay more attention elsewhere.

Well I shall not.

This Hotel is indeed going through a refurbishment, to tackle head on the exact issues you raised in your feedback. Yes that wine stained carpet is presently being replaced and yes the grout and bathrooms areas are being redone and updated. But let me not bore you with more long worded positivity.

The Stag party incident which you encountered certainly was not something we as a Hotel condone or wish to provide, so I ask that you contact me to resolve your complaint appropriately. Maybe in Harrogate they use reviews such as this to communicate complaints, however in Bristol we prefer the more direct approach.
I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,

John Morton

Senior Guest Service Manager
sgsm@hiexpressbristol.co.uk - 0117 930 4800

Reviewed 27 August 2013

If travelling by train, the really brilliant thing about this hotel is that you walk out of Temple Meads and it is in front of you. Drop your bags and head off for a coffee or something stronger on the waterfront, 5 mins walk away.
Rooms were really clean with good air con and well soundproofed windows. It was well worth the money.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
HIEBristol, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bristol City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2013

Dear MosyMoo,

Thank you so much for this positive review of our Hotel. We do find that being within walking distance to Temple Meads Train Station , offers such a great opportunity for quick transport links to all corners of this great country. The team and I are also very heartened to hear that you found your stay enjoyable and of course look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Kind regards

Reviewed 25 August 2013

Stayed at this hotel for a couple of weeks, without doubt the worst holiday inn express I have ever stayed at. The establishment is outdated the decor is appalling and the management incompetent.
BEWARE I booked a best flexible rate but was charged for the full stay the evening before I arrived, it took 5 working days for my card to get reimbursed, the cancellation policy is 4 pm on the day of arrival if my plans hadchanged I was screwed. I complained and was heard but nothing was done. They also managed to book my Italian colleagues room and send the holiday inn points to my account even though he had booked separately and from another country.
The room I was given had wine stains on the carpet, the lamp shade was missing and I found the communal areas to be dirty.
Do not wasted your money on this place, it is centrally located but so are dozens more professionally run hotels in Bristol, the management are at best incompetent and the hotel a blot on the usually very good holiday inn chain.

• Stayed: May 2013
HIEBristol, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bristol City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2013

Dear Homer

Thank you for your feedback. Although I must admit I do somewhat enjoy that classic hotel series, I am somewhat disappointed you would compare standard IHG procedures to this.
In regards to the preauthorisation of your card, which was explained both on check-in and printed on the registration card that you sign at every IHG hotel. We use pre-authorisations to speed up Rewards card members’ check-ins, hence why it was done prior to your arrival rather than at the desk itself. If you are cancelling your stay last minute, then certainly pre-authorisations are released however we unfortunately cannot speed up your banks communication on this.

As regards to the interior which you’ll be pleasantly surprised to hear we are undergoing a soft refurbishment, expected completion date mid Sept 2013! So I’m sure you will be eager to come down and see for yourself, how we both listen and invest in our hotel, for both our guest’s convenience and enjoyment during their stay.

Once again thank you for your response, certainly if you are looking to discuss with me further your past experience, or indeed would like to join for a coffee to tour our new facilities, please do not hesitate to contact the hotel or email me on sgsm@hiexpressbrsitol.co.uk

John Morton
​Senior Guest Service Manager

Reviewed 21 August 2013

A nice hotel with good staff. The air conditioning in the rooms is excellent, the shower is big (but not particularly powerful) and there is an odd wooden square on the wall.

The hotel is located right opposite Temple Meads Station with access to all their taxi ranks only 3 minutes walk and might be ideal as a base to travel to Bath. The hotel was undergoing a much needed refit as Express's I have been in benefited from the improved furnishings etc.

Breakfast was slightly better than at some other Holiday Inn Express hotels but pretty much the same (and free). Parking is available at the hotel costing £6 per stay and is in the large gated car park behind the hotel.

Not a bad hotel which will be made very good after the refit.

Room Tip: Park in the temporary bay and go to the desk to get a code to get into the £6 per night parking gara...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
HIEBristol, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bristol City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2013

Dear LiverpoolSt
Thank you for taking your time to post a review for us. We are pleased to hear that you have enjoyed your stay at our hotel. As mentioned, we are currently undergoing a refurbishment program and the little wooden panel was put up due to relocating of wall lamp and our new artwork will cover the little panel once arrived. It is a very exciting time for us and we hope to have you return to stay with us again in the near future to try our newly refurbished room.
Regards
Sharine Carrow

Reviewed 19 August 2013

I stayed in the Holiday Inn very recently and found it to be a very comfortable and friendly hotel which is in a very convenient location. Right opposite the main train station and a short walk from the city centre and docks area. I have to give a special mention to a member of staff at the reception who went to great lengths to help me out in obtaining my boarding passes for my flight home at very short notice. Thank you Kayleigh Hook your help was very much appreciated.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
HIEBristol, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bristol City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2013

Dear dermurray285
Please allow me to take this opportunity to thank you for posting such as positive review for our hotel and we are also delighted to hear that Kayleigh has received a special mention for delivering great customer service. Once again, thank you dermurray285 and we look forward to having you stay with us again soon.
Regards
Sharine Carrow

Reviewed 14 August 2013

Booked 7 twin rooms through Laterooms - when phoning to cancel a room was told that we had 7 doubles.....not best accommodation for 14 men on cricket tour!! Disappointing that the hotel did not contact me!! After much hassle a part solution of 6 twins for 2 nights and then doubles for last night. Seemed like a reasonable compromise until another payment for the room we did not use was taken from my account 3 days after our stay- still being looked into by Laterooms, hotel and HIE..............out of pocket to the tune of £260!!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Wicketkeeper2013

Dear Wicketkeeper

Disappointed then dismayed, indeed Mr Wicketkeeper.

Thank you once again for yet another review. As we have attempted to explain on all your cricket teams’ previous reviews so far, if you book doubles with LATEROOMS (a third party agent) expecting twins to be presented by the hotel on arrival, then unfortunately you will be disappointed if the hotel is fully booked.

My colleague was trying to be hospitable by offering you twins at the tail end of your stay, as soon as she learned of your booking error (which you accepted) however it now seems this effort was perceived by your team as unhelpful or unprofessional.

Even LATEROOMS management attempted three times, at our request to speak to you prior to your arrival, yet I remind you once again, you were still happy to maintain the original reservation rather than cancel.

In summary, I am sincerely delighted to hear LATEROOMS management are finally looking into your reservation with them. Certainly for the benefit of other guests, we will be keeping a close eye on future weekend group bookings being directed via this third party agent.

Should you wish to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at the hotel or indeed email me at sgsm@hiexpressbristol.co.uk