“Good budget hotel in great location”

Holiday Inn Express Bristol City Centre
Ranked #19 of 39 Hotels in Bristol
Reviewed 13 September 2013

I stay at this hotel regularly for business, mainly because it is right opposite Temple Meads station. The staff are friendly & helpful. It is true that the decor was a little tired ( to be honest this did not bother me as I liked the staff and location and it is clean) but the hotel is now undergoing a refurbishment. The refurbished rooms are comfortable and a lot more stylish then before. The hotel is on a busy road so best to ask for a room at the back, and as high up as you can. Breakfast is a little basic, but ok if you are there for work. There is an excellent Italian restaurant - Don Giovannis - within a very short walking distance which is marvellous & reasonably priced. Reading some of the reviews, I am surprised to see the negative comments. My only complaints would be that the hotel lift is very slow and that the breakfast choice could be better.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Edwina1962
HIEBristol, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bristol City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2013

Hi Edwina;

Thank you for your review. It is true that we have been eagerly waiting for updates in our guest rooms and elsewhere, to resolve previous issues. I can happily state that while painting and carpeting has now been replaced. New beds and room furniture will be arriving shortly.

Your comments regarding our staff are also greatly welcomed. With regards to the free breakfast, the team and I are aware that the options are restricted due to the brand standards, however where we can we will amend this also, to meet closer with guest expectations.

Should you wish to discuss with me your stay with us in more detail or have any other comments please do not hesitate to contact the hotel or email me.

John Morton Senior Guest Service Manager
0117 930 4800 - sgsm@hiexpressbristol.co.uk

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Bristol City Centre

Reviewed 11 September 2013

Nice fluffy towels
Poor soundproofing.
Fire alarm went off intermittently at 7.30am which was disconcerting.
For a room to sleep in it was fine but not for the same price as other better hotels nearby.
Unlikely to stay here again unless it is a last resort.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Rachel K
HIEBristol, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bristol City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2013

Hi Rachel;

Sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay with us, we do of course take all feedback to be of merit, especially when it highlights areas such as pricing or facilities, which may not meet the expectations of someone staying at our Holiday Inn Express brand.

As always I am available to discuss your experience at any time. So please do not hesitate to contact the hotel or email me.

Kind regards,

John Morton Senior Guest Service Manager - 0117 930 4800 sgsm@hiexpressbristol.co.uk

Reviewed 9 September 2013

We stayed here on Friday 6th to go and do the Grommit trail. We arrived at 1:15 and didn't expect to get access to our room but the check in was not the best. She told us to take a seat while she could see if see could get us a good room since we are gold members. We were waiting and after about 10 mins..... I wanted to get going to hunt the Grommits so we just asked to leave our case as it seemed we had been forgotten!
Had a wonderful time around Bristol and hunted down loads of Grommits a full day walking... ONLY to find that our room was on the 6th floor ( top of hotel) AND the lift was OUT OF ORDER. The reception did not tell us that the lift was out of order or offer any other alternative.
So after a full day on our feet climbed approx 100 stairs to room 604 which has a good view.
The rooms are OK, tea and coffee facilities in room. The bed was comfortable and a choice of soft/firm pillows.
The breakfast was included but it is appalling. The croissants were stale ( cold and hard), yogurts but only natural flavour, cerals (3), the 'warm' food if you could call it that I found it barely warm baked beans, sausages, scrambled egg. Certainly not the standard I expect from a holiday inn...(Having stayed at the one in Frankfurt where the breakfast was very good and also the service unlike this one.)
Apart from location been very good thats all I have to say good about his hotel. I certainly will not stay there again. There was no apologies for lift not working or any refund for the inconvenience.

Room Tip: Room 604 has a good view.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
HIEBristol, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bristol City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2013

Hi Loopy Lou

Apologises for our Lift, unfortunately when you have only one, when these things go it does tend to provide unfortunate inconvenience to the higher floors. Although our team are always happy to assist with luggage where required. Carrying people unfortunately is beyond my employer remit!

Slightly saddened that you felt our team did not meet with your expectations, normally the 6th floor would be the “floor of choice” however, if this has not been changed after the lift malfunctioned, then let me apologise for not hearing of this and responding to this quicker.

Although I cannot comment on a Holiday Inn Standards, we at the Express do appreciate your feedback and I will share with my managers, to try harder on our customer service approach here in Bristol.

Thank you for your response, I am available to discuss your experience at any time. So please do not hesitate to contact the hotel or email me.

Kind regards, John Morton
Senior Guest Service Manager - 0117 930 4800 sgsm@hiexpressbristol.co.uk

Reviewed 2 September 2013

The hotel is very near to the main Bristol Railway Station and is ideally situated for the main business areas in the centre. The rooms are what you would expect from a budget hotel, but make sure you ask for a room at the back as this will help reduce the noise from the road.

If you are arriving with your car beware. The carpark has a limited capacity and the hotel website highlights that space is granted on a first come basis. What they don't tell you is whatever time you arrive they will continue to issue entrance tickets even after they have used up all their allocated spaces. I checked in at 14:00 was given an entrance ticket and parked without any problem. I then took my car to a business meeting which did not finish until the early evening. By the time I returned to the hotel all their limited parking had been filled even though I still had my entrance ticket. So I was sent off to the unsecured public parking which requires you to take your car out before 08:00 or you may face additional parking costs. Why this hotel does not restrict the tickets they issue to the first guests that arrive and when they have used the daily allocation they say unfortunately the car park is full I do not know. This experience has coloured my view of staying in this hotel for business purposes.

The breakfast is included in the room cost and whilst basic is a good way to start the day. They also offer a limited evening menu, but there are so many restaurants to fit all budgets in Bristol City Centre eating in the evening will not be a problem.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
HIEBristol, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bristol City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2013

Hi Kernowman;

Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate your concerns regarding the first come first serve, car parking rule. The process itself was applied when the Hotel first opened, as we do not manage the car park ourselves, only lease 20 spaces for guest use. Certainly you have raised a good argument though for reviewing this procedure, which I am happy to look at and see if a better system can be put in place at our reception.

I am also very pleased to hear both the location of the hotel and our free breakfast provided added benefit to you, during your stay.

Once again thank you for your response, certainly if you are looking to discuss with me your experience of our Hotel, please do not hesitate to contact the hotel or email me on sgsm@hiexpressbrsitol.co.uk

Kind regard,

John Morton - sgsm@hiexpressbristol.co.uk
0117 930 4800

Reviewed 1 September 2013

I stayed in the hotel at the same time as the previous reviewer and I had no problems at all. I was on the fourth floor so I didn't hear the stag party mentioned below, but anyway I had no problems with cleanliness or soundproofing. I've stayed in many Holiday Inn Express hotels around the UK and the standards were as good here as in any other. At check-in, the receptionist warned me about the redecoration work and moved me to the fourth floor so I would not be disturbed by it.

The free wi-fi was great (it was free because I am a Rewards Club member) and the bar was nice with Sky Sports and food/beer available. I normally choose a hotel based on location, and this was perfect for me as it was a 2 minute walk from Temple Meads railway station. If you needed to be in the city centre, however, I would recommend a more central hotel as the station is quite a distance from the city.

The only disappointment was that the TV had a limited range of channels, there was no ITV4 for example so I was unable to watch the football on Thursday night.

Still a recommended hotel!

Room Tip: The fourth floor was quiet.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo

Dear Est 1993;

Thank you for your feedback and your positive comparison regards other Holiday Inn Express Hotels. Our refurbishment certainly will provide answers to many concerns which have been highlighted in the past and I hope will reflect our aim as a team and company, to listen and attempt where possible, to meet and exceed our guest expectations.

With regards to the TV’s, plans are afoot to update facilities there too, so please “stay tuned” while the powers that be work out a suitable timeframe...

Once again thank you for your review and I sincerely hope to see you back again soon at our Bristol Hotel!

John Morton - Senior Guest Service Manager
sgsm@hiexpressbristol.co.uk

0117 930 4800

Reviewed 28 August 2013

Having decided to break up a lengthy journey to Cornwall, we opted to stay in Bristol and hunted for a hotel that had decent reviews. We were thrilled to come across the Holiday Inn Express in the centre, which appeared to have good Internet reviews from various sites and appeared to be a reasonable rate. We'd stayed in Holiday Inn Expresses several times before and knew they were standard comfortable rooms, but as it was to be a stop-gap it would be perfect. How wrong can two people be?

We were staying with our 2 year old daughter and were placed in a room which was a mixture of Magaluf meets Grand Central Station. Although we weren't aware of this rooms misgivings until the early hours as we would have instantly asked to be moved. We were in a room right above the main entrance to the hotel, with the stairwell/lift to one wall, and a Welsh stag doo to the other. Room 103.

Needless to say our sleep was non-existent due to the raucous goings on as people returned from various pubs and clubs which started at about 2am. Having stayed in hotels all over the World, my husband and I were shocked by the lack of sound proofing in a relatively modern hotel, not only from the outside entrance but between the walls and doors. Awful.

The final straw was hearing the stag doo restart the nightclub they'd been to previously followed by several thumps to our wall and the sounds of someone be sellotaped to an item of furniture.

A complaint was made to the night porter about the noise and he did come to have a word with the group but it didn't exactly quieter them down, and actually why should it? They'd paid just as much as we had.

Please don't get me wrong, we have no ill feeling to the stag doo (ok, maybe we did at 4 in the morning) as they were doing EXACTLY what is expected when lads get together. And being a North East girl, I've been trained to full on party. I entirely blame the inept staff who placed a FAMILY beside a group of lads.

As is to be expected, sleep deprivation ensured we picked all the faults of the room itself. They were as follows:

Dirty edges of the bathroom floor (it merely looked like the centre of the floor had been moped).

No shower curtain which meant the water cascaded onto the floor thus making it perilous (maybe this was their cleaning solution).

Dirty bathroom grout and hair in the plug outlet (yuk, yuk, yuk).

An air conditioning unit that knew two temperatures; on or off! The magic mythical numbers of Celsius were exactly that - mythical.

Double glazed windows which I think were glazed with sugar as surely double glazing is supposed to keep noise out? The road out the front is used as a drag-strip from about 1am!

Wine stains on the carpet.

Then the main hotel:

Ice machine with NO cups to stock up. And correct me if I'm wrong, but ice melts in your hands doesn't it?

As stated on previous hotel customer service feedbacks the hotel is indeed under-going a period of redecoration and it will need it after the painters they had completing the job allowed the paint tins to leave white ring marks all over the lift entrance carpet - trust me, I watched them pick up the tins and attempt to rub the paint in with their feet!!!!

Upon checkout, we informed the member of staff on duty of our horrific nights "sleep" who referred us to the duty manager. She was highly apologetic and offered us a significant reduction on our stay - having NEVER complained about a hotel before we thought this was the only resolution that could come out of an unmitigated disaster of a nights stay. So excepted then went on our way fuelled by a gargantuan amount of coffee; not exactly the way I wanted to start my family holiday. Except now, having informed friends and family (one of which works at a top hotel in Harrogate) they have all stated that the resolution should not have been accepted. It simply wasn't good enough.

We are so universally disappointed in the Holiday Inn Express and can not believe they have allowed such bad service to infiltrate their brand. Furthermore, it is fascinating to see that management has time to respond to EVERY piece of feedback they receive on here. I can understand them wanting to qualify their inadequacies and respond to negativity but really, long winded responses to positive???!!!!! maybe if they spent more time supporting and ensuring their hotel was running effectively and happily without a glitch there would be queues to get into this centrally located city hotel.

Please, if you are going to choose to ignore my review and those with similar experiences and still stay here, if you're offered room 103 RUN AWAY!!!!!!

Room Tip: Avoid room 103, and ignore my swimming pool review, there isn't one but it won't let me take...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
HIEBristol, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bristol City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2013

Dear Charlotte

Where mistakes are made, we as a team will fully put our hands up and I can assure you, rectify as best as we can, our commitment to the guest. I can see, that you are still aggrieved by your experience and of course, so you should be. For what appeared to be an attempt to alleviate your bad experience by our Duty Manger on Check out, was obviously now upon reading this, not to a suitable degree. But does that mean then that we do merit a second chance to fix this? Or as you quite firmly resound to believing, I should ignore this review and pay more attention elsewhere.

Well I shall not.

This Hotel is indeed going through a refurbishment, to tackle head on the exact issues you raised in your feedback. Yes that wine stained carpet is presently being replaced and yes the grout and bathrooms areas are being redone and updated. But let me not bore you with more long worded positivity.

The Stag party incident which you encountered certainly was not something we as a Hotel condone or wish to provide, so I ask that you contact me to resolve your complaint appropriately. Maybe in Harrogate they use reviews such as this to communicate complaints, however in Bristol we prefer the more direct approach.
I look forward to hearing from you.

John Morton

Senior Guest Service Manager
sgsm@hiexpressbristol.co.uk - 0117 930 4800

Reviewed 27 August 2013

If travelling by train, the really brilliant thing about this hotel is that you walk out of Temple Meads and it is in front of you. Drop your bags and head off for a coffee or something stronger on the waterfront, 5 mins walk away.
Rooms were really clean with good air con and well soundproofed windows. It was well worth the money.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
HIEBristol, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bristol City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2013

Dear MosyMoo,

Thank you so much for this positive review of our Hotel. We do find that being within walking distance to Temple Meads Train Station , offers such a great opportunity for quick transport links to all corners of this great country. The team and I are also very heartened to hear that you found your stay enjoyable and of course look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Kind regards