“Identity crisis.”

Holiday Inn Express Bristol City Centre
Ranked #19 of 39 Hotels in Bristol
Reviewed 18 September 2013

Quite often HIE gets caught out. This hotel offers nothing more than a Travelodge (there is a decent one half a mile nearer the centre of Bristol) but HIE will dip you for £90 rather than £50. Doesn't make sense.
The hotel is next to a derelict garage and seems to have been infected by the general decay of the area. If you are lucky you might find the car park behind the hotel at the first attempt as it involves a sharp left turn into what appears to be a bomb site. Otherwise you will have to 'go around again' as the hotel is directly opposite Temple Meads train station and the traffic is permanently chaotic. When you do locate the car park and work put how to operate the security gates and, with a bit of luck, find one of the very limited 'reserved' HIE parking bays you will be stung for another £7 for the privilege of leaving your car there overnight.
The hotel itself is tired and depressing and has probably been the victim of a few stag and hen parties over the years. The staff do their best and I feel for them. In fact I admire them for their stoicism. I also admire the barman who tried to switch sell a customer who asked for Guiness to Boddingtons only to discover they had actually run out of draught beer anyway, and then to offer tonic water as a substitute to another customer who asked for a dash of lemonade in his whiskey.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
HIEBristol, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bristol City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2013

Dear Mr W,

I for obvious reasons will not attempt to differentiate between two different brand hotels, although certainly areas which have not yet completed as part of our refurbishment, I will accept may appear tired.

With regards to parking, I am unsure how to respond to this other than the fact the majority of Bristol Hotels do advertise parking charges for all visiting guests to be aware of. Even the brand you have compared us to do in fact charge £1.50 more than our 24h £6 charge.

To hear that the staff have attempted to find a solution to a guest order, however be regarded as free of passion, yet do their best is a little disheartening and strange. However, if you have perceived this as that then certainly I will share the feedback with the staff to look at ways to rectify situations like this going forward.

As always Mr W, resolving guest negative feedback and finding a suitable solution to problems when they do arise is our main aim, should you wish to discuss your stay further, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the Hotel or indeed via my email.

Kind regards, John Morton - Senior Guest Service Manager - 0117 930 4800 sgsm@hiexpressbristol.co.uk

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Bristol City Centre

Reviewed 17 September 2013

We stayed at this hotel from the 7th to 9th September. We checked in about midday on the 7th, reception very helpful. On the 8th we went out for the day, got back about 8pm, went to the bar to chill out for an hour or so. I ordered a beer and a tonic water, to be told, "sorry sir, we have no beer", they didn't even have bottled beer. This is a hotel in the CENTRE of Bristol, and they'd run out of beer. I thought no problem, I'll have a wine, yes, they had plenty of wine, but guess what....no wine glasses. The barman had to go round to the kitchen to find a glass. Oh yes, nearly forgot, the tonic water, the barman had to hunt round various cupboards before he found a bottle of tonic water. Not good enough Holiday Inn.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Holiday Critics,

Well you’ll be glad to hear we are indeed listening, by both raising the quantities of stock coming into the Hotel, doubling the delivery days and increasing the glassware quantities on site to cope with increased occupancy as well! Apologies this has been slow to be action however, if you are passing Bristol in the near future please pop in and I will certainly rectify this mistake by getting you a round of complimentary drinks on us!

Thank you for your review. Should you wish to discuss your stay further, please do not hesitate to contact me at the Hotel or indeed via my email.

Reviewed 15 September 2013

There is nothing special at all about this hotel. The rooms are pretty basic but fairly spacious. They are clean and tidy. My room was quite noisy as it was on the main road. The breakfast was also basic, I would not stay here again as there are much nicer hotels not too far away.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the main road are much quieter.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
HIEBristol, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bristol City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2013

Dear Blue Serenity,

Although I am glad to hear our rooms were spacious, clean and tidy, certainly I am disappointed you did not find our Express style to your liking. We are of course always happy to receive all feedback and are certainly looking into ways to widen the appeal, of our free breakfast and guest facilities.

Kind regards, John Morton Senior Guest Service Manager - 0117 930 4800 sgsm@hiexpressbristol.co.uk

Reviewed 13 September 2013

I stay at this hotel regularly for business, mainly because it is right opposite Temple Meads station. The staff are friendly & helpful. It is true that the decor was a little tired ( to be honest this did not bother me as I liked the staff and location and it is clean) but the hotel is now undergoing a refurbishment. The refurbished rooms are comfortable and a lot more stylish then before. The hotel is on a busy road so best to ask for a room at the back, and as high up as you can. Breakfast is a little basic, but ok if you are there for work. There is an excellent Italian restaurant - Don Giovannis - within a very short walking distance which is marvellous & reasonably priced. Reading some of the reviews, I am surprised to see the negative comments. My only complaints would be that the hotel lift is very slow and that the breakfast choice could be better.

2  Thank Edwina1962
HIEBristol, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bristol City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2013

Hi Edwina;

Thank you for your review. It is true that we have been eagerly waiting for updates in our guest rooms and elsewhere, to resolve previous issues. I can happily state that while painting and carpeting has now been replaced. New beds and room furniture will be arriving shortly.

Your comments regarding our staff are also greatly welcomed. With regards to the free breakfast, the team and I are aware that the options are restricted due to the brand standards, however where we can we will amend this also, to meet closer with guest expectations.

Should you wish to discuss with me your stay with us in more detail or have any other comments please do not hesitate to contact the hotel or email me.

Kind regards,

John Morton Senior Guest Service Manager
0117 930 4800 - sgsm@hiexpressbristol.co.uk

Reviewed 11 September 2013

Nice fluffy towels
Poor soundproofing.
Fire alarm went off intermittently at 7.30am which was disconcerting.
For a room to sleep in it was fine but not for the same price as other better hotels nearby.
Unlikely to stay here again unless it is a last resort.

1  Thank Rachel K
HIEBristol, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bristol City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2013

Hi Rachel;

Sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay with us, we do of course take all feedback to be of merit, especially when it highlights areas such as pricing or facilities, which may not meet the expectations of someone staying at our Holiday Inn Express brand.

As always I am available to discuss your experience at any time. So please do not hesitate to contact the hotel or email me.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 9 September 2013

We stayed here on Friday 6th to go and do the Grommit trail. We arrived at 1:15 and didn't expect to get access to our room but the check in was not the best. She told us to take a seat while she could see if see could get us a good room since we are gold members. We were waiting and after about 10 mins..... I wanted to get going to hunt the Grommits so we just asked to leave our case as it seemed we had been forgotten!
Had a wonderful time around Bristol and hunted down loads of Grommits a full day walking... ONLY to find that our room was on the 6th floor ( top of hotel) AND the lift was OUT OF ORDER. The reception did not tell us that the lift was out of order or offer any other alternative.
So after a full day on our feet climbed approx 100 stairs to room 604 which has a good view.
The rooms are OK, tea and coffee facilities in room. The bed was comfortable and a choice of soft/firm pillows.
The breakfast was included but it is appalling. The croissants were stale ( cold and hard), yogurts but only natural flavour, cerals (3), the 'warm' food if you could call it that I found it barely warm baked beans, sausages, scrambled egg. Certainly not the standard I expect from a holiday inn...(Having stayed at the one in Frankfurt where the breakfast was very good and also the service unlike this one.)
Apart from location been very good thats all I have to say good about his hotel. I certainly will not stay there again. There was no apologies for lift not working or any refund for the inconvenience.

Room Tip: Room 604 has a good view.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
HIEBristol, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bristol City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2013

Hi Loopy Lou

Apologises for our Lift, unfortunately when you have only one, when these things go it does tend to provide unfortunate inconvenience to the higher floors. Although our team are always happy to assist with luggage where required. Carrying people unfortunately is beyond my employer remit!

Slightly saddened that you felt our team did not meet with your expectations, normally the 6th floor would be the “floor of choice” however, if this has not been changed after the lift malfunctioned, then let me apologise for not hearing of this and responding to this quicker.

Although I cannot comment on a Holiday Inn Standards, we at the Express do appreciate your feedback and I will share with my managers, to try harder on our customer service approach here in Bristol.

Thank you for your response, I am available to discuss your experience at any time. So please do not hesitate to contact the hotel or email me.

Kind regards, John Morton
Senior Guest Service Manager - 0117 930 4800 sgsm@hiexpressbristol.co.uk

Reviewed 2 September 2013

The hotel is very near to the main Bristol Railway Station and is ideally situated for the main business areas in the centre. The rooms are what you would expect from a budget hotel, but make sure you ask for a room at the back as this will help reduce the noise from the road.

If you are arriving with your car beware. The carpark has a limited capacity and the hotel website highlights that space is granted on a first come basis. What they don't tell you is whatever time you arrive they will continue to issue entrance tickets even after they have used up all their allocated spaces. I checked in at 14:00 was given an entrance ticket and parked without any problem. I then took my car to a business meeting which did not finish until the early evening. By the time I returned to the hotel all their limited parking had been filled even though I still had my entrance ticket. So I was sent off to the unsecured public parking which requires you to take your car out before 08:00 or you may face additional parking costs. Why this hotel does not restrict the tickets they issue to the first guests that arrive and when they have used the daily allocation they say unfortunately the car park is full I do not know. This experience has coloured my view of staying in this hotel for business purposes.

The breakfast is included in the room cost and whilst basic is a good way to start the day. They also offer a limited evening menu, but there are so many restaurants to fit all budgets in Bristol City Centre eating in the evening will not be a problem.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
HIEBristol, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bristol City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2013

Hi Kernowman;

Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate your concerns regarding the first come first serve, car parking rule. The process itself was applied when the Hotel first opened, as we do not manage the car park ourselves, only lease 20 spaces for guest use. Certainly you have raised a good argument though for reviewing this procedure, which I am happy to look at and see if a better system can be put in place at our reception.

I am also very pleased to hear both the location of the hotel and our free breakfast provided added benefit to you, during your stay.

Once again thank you for your response, certainly if you are looking to discuss with me your experience of our Hotel, please do not hesitate to contact the hotel or email me on sgsm@hiexpressbrsitol.co.uk

Kind regard,