“More than adequate”

Ranked #17 of 38 Hotels in Bristol
South Wales
“More than adequate”
Reviewed 19 October 2013

We stayed here for one night while at a wine festival across the road. As I am disabled with walking difficulties the staff went out of their way to be helpful and allowed me to leave my car in the temporary bay right outside the back door. The rooms were comfortable with good facilities, TV, air con, Walk in shower etc. There is no restaurant but there is a good Wetherspoons (the Knights Templar) a short walk away that was manageable for me. Breakfast was a buffet style with adequate food for most tastes. I have two minor criticisms, there is a fair bit of traffic noise that only eased off for a few hour after midnight so the upper floors are probably quieter. Sadly I didn't see a member of staff for whom English was their first language. Cleaning staff all eastern European, reception and others Asian or African. I'm not racist but this is dissapointing.

Room Tip: Top floor room probably quieter.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
HIEBristol, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bristol City Centre, responded to this review, 20 October 2013
Hi ronpSouthWales

Thank you for the review. I am happy to see the guest facilities met with your satisfaction on this occasion and the staff were attentive to your needs, throughout your stay.

Should you wish to discuss your stay further, please contact me directly at the Hotel or indeed via my email.

Kind regards, John Morton - Senior Guest Service Manager - 0117 930 4800 sgsm@hiexpressbristol.co.uk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 18 October 2013

if you have to travel out of bristol for you business, this hotel is next to the Temple meads.
don't expect any luxury this is a business hotel . If you like big breakfast this may not be the hotel for you.
Food menu have just few basic items on it so you will have to go out for food.
There was no water in bathroom on the 21st Sep morning and have to take flight back to india without taking bath , and they refused to compensate except one 500 ml bottle of freezing water to do every thing.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Hi Singh

Thank you for taking the time to review, I did personally contact everyone we had details for to discuss the power cut that weekend and as procedure, reimburse anyone affected. I am a little confused as to who refused you? as I certainly did not.

Complimentary bottles of water were handed out as procedure. Certainly when events out with our control such as this happen, I would expect any Hotel to do the same.

If you could please contact directly, I will be more than happy to discuss with you the issues raised and remedy any reimbursement.

Kind regards, John Morton - Senior Guest Service Manager

0117 930 4800 - sgsm@hiexpressbristol.co.uk
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 October 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights as part of a recent sightseeing trip. The hotal is right opposite Bristol Temple Meads station so made a trip to bath easy (12 minutes) and is within easy walking distance of Bristol city centre.

Free WiFi in the hotel, free breakfast for all guests which was good quality - limited range of hot food but adequate and plenty of other options too. Room was clean and spacious, everything you would expect from such a hotel in this price range.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NickfromLeeds
HIEBristol, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bristol City Centre, responded to this review, 30 October 2013
Dear Nick

Thank you for your review, we are working hard to update services and bring our Hotel much in line with guest expectations, so I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay. I will pass your comments onto the team and look to hopefully welcoming you back again, in the future.

Should you wish to discuss your stay more, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind Regards

John Morton

Senior Guest Service Manager
0117 930 4800
sgsm@hiexpressbristol.co.uk
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 October 2013

On arrival for a hen do in Bristol my friend and I were to be sharing a double room on the 2nd floor - the room was large, clean and really everything you expect from a Holiday Inn Express. No qualms at all...
That is until 5am on Sunday morning we were woken to a very drunk man trying to gain access to our room, not opening the door I politely told him he was not at the right room and should leave... which he did only to return 10 minutes later with an access key to our room! It appears he must have gone to reception, told them he couldn't get in and they just gave out a key card for the completely wrong room! So he returns and opens our door (fortunately we had put the chain across) otherwise who knows what would have happened, I managed to force the door shut and called down to reception... reception at this time did nothing and he continued hammering on our door, and other rooms demanding access... we called Reception about 3 times and on the third time they actually sent someone up! This was not only distressing but completely avoidable! had the security actually checked their system they would have realised it was two lone females in the room. The morning reception staff were very apologetic and did refund our room, however had we not have put the chain across this event could have been a lot more serious. Very disappointing.

Room Tip: When going to bed, make sure you put the chain across, who knows who will be visiting you in your sl...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank louloubelou
HIEBristol, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bristol City Centre, responded to this review, 10 October 2013
Dear Louloubelou

My colleague Nicola has been in contact with your group regarding the events of that night, who were affected by this, to both reassure and offer reimbursement. I completely agree that the security protocols on the night, did indeed falter and I am currently investigating why strict procedures we have in place, failed to be upheld.

Please be rest assured, action will be taken and further investment has indeed been put aside, to strengthen both CCTV and Security throughout the building, where required.

I can fully appreciate that you would be hesitant to use the complimentary stay vouchers, due to belief that we cannot manage or learn, from these errors going forward. If anything, your hesitation will be our motivation to safeguard our guests, from anything like this again.

Ireland
Reviewed 8 October 2013

I spent a week here while attending a conference, and my family joined me mid-week. It is directly across the street from Temple Meads Train Station (last stop on the airport express bus). The city centre is just a 10 minute walk away.

The room was very clean, comfortable and modern looking.

The staff were fantastic and are main reason why I gave the hotel top marks. Special mention to Alina (the name on a receipt I had, if it's not her name she'll know who she is) who printed-out a whole stack of info for me when I told her about an event I wanted to attend on the weekend.

As other reviews have pointed out it can be quite noisy outside due to its location, but it did not disturb my sleep at all.

Breakfast was decent and looked forward to every morning. I'll definitely stay at this property on my next visit to Bristol!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Dear Amik

Thank you so much for your review. It is great to see that all the hard work the staff are putting in to the Hotel, is being felt by our guests. I shall pass over your comments to the team and I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Should you wish to discuss your stay further, please do not hesitate to contact me at the Hotel or indeed via my email. The team and I, hope to welcome you back again soon!

Kind regards; John Morton - Senior Guest Service Manager - 0117 930 4800 sgsm@hiexpressbristol.co.uk
Camborne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 September 2013

We stayed at holiday inn express Bristol for one night. Having travelled by train to Bristol Temple Mead s from Cornwall the hotel was within walking distance from the station. We were flying from Bristol airport the next morning so only had to walk back to catch the airport bus. Very clean , breakfast adequate. Would stay again .

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
HIEBristol, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bristol City Centre, responded to this review, 29 September 2013
Thank you Alisonlee for your review!

Simple . Smart. Spot on is our new mantra and I am happy to see the guest facilities / benefits that you highlighted, have achieved this.

Should you wish to discuss your stay further, please do not hesitate to contact me at the Hotel or indeed via my email. The team and I hope to welcome you back again soon!

Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 September 2013

We arrived sat afternoon we were lucky we managed to get into the hotel car park which is also secured there are only 20 places.

After reading some of the reviews people mentioned the hotel looks tired to me the hotel looks fine it is modern cleen and the staff are very friendly and helpfull.
The breakfast was good with quite a bit of choice, I have payed for breakfast in some hotels and the choice was only slightly beter than the hiex. One night we had a light meal in the hotel which was good also the bar had draught beer and sat night it is quite popular later in the evening.

Our room was good the bed was comfey I loved the walk in shower plenty of hot water.
Ok there was some maintance issues with the room I was not buying the room so it was ok.
Most hotels I have stayed in have some sort of room problems even 5 star hotels I have stayed in.

The location of the hotel is great right across from the railway statiion. The last day we caught the train to Bath about 10mins on the train.
Also at the station you can catch the bus to Clifton Suspension Bridge Its No 8 there and No 9 back. You book return on the bus.

As you come out of the hotel turn right and there is a great Italian restauirant Don Giovannis we ate there twice during our stay .
On sat night the Recless Engineer as live groups we had a good night. this is almost next door to the hotel.

There was one slight hicup which I did not like is that we pre payed for our visit through Hotels. Com which says this on the booking form. On arival we we being charged for the full stay I explained and thought it had been sorted.
On checkout the receptionist ask for my card I ask how much he was taking out of my account He said the full amount for the room I had to explain again we have already paid for our stay.
It was sorted very politly and I would most certanly stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mickracer077
HIEBristol, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bristol City Centre, responded to this review, 27 September 2013
Thank you Lancashire Lad for the review. It really is great to see that the continuous hard work we are putting in, to improve on both our guest facilities and experience, is producing the right results!