“Pretty good but avoid the sausages”

Holiday Inn Express Bristol City Centre
Ranked #17 of 38 Hotels in Bristol
venerableGeordie
“Pretty good but avoid the sausages”
Reviewed 30 May 2014

This is not a bad place to stay. It's location, close to the train station (across the road) was very handy. It's a short walking distance from the town centre which is full of great pubs and restaurants.
The rooms where clean and adequate but the breakfast was downright nasty. Those sausages belong to the eastern block and look like they where boiled.
All in all a decent place to stay.
Just get your breakfast else where.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
ExpressBristolCity, ​Senior Guest Service Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bristol City Centre, responded to this review, 1 June 2014
Dear VenerableGeordie

Thank you so much for reviewing your recent stay with us.

I'm delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and our Hotel location. Our close proximity to the city centre does help provide easy access to most amenities or attractions.

Sorry to hear you did not enjoy all parts of our free continental breakfast, although we do of course take all feedback on board, to help us develop and improve on these.

We do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Kind regards,

​Senior Guest Service Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Didcot, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Stayed here for two nights as part of a stag party which seems to be a common reason, based on all the other people I saw there. The car parking was a bit of a faff (park in a temporary spot, check in, get a code, move to proper car park, go back into hotel) but all in all it's a pretty decent Holiday Inn.

The room was clean and airy with a comfy bed, nice big bathroom and ironing board available on request. Location is decent, only a short walk from the town centre, although the view over the abandoned petrol station next door wasn't exactly the Bahamas.

Only downsides were a flickering light in the bathroom and a slow draining sink, neither of which were enough of a dealbreaker for me to report them during the stay. Oh and the breakfast was a bit basic, but then again it was free! As was the hotel Wi-Fi, including in my room - could very much be worse.

Don't stay expecting Sultan of Brunei quality but as a crash pad near the town centre it's hard to fault.

Room Tip: 316 nice and big, don't miss the fantastic view of the abandoned petrol station
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
ExpressBristolCity, Senior Guest Service Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bristol City Centre, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Dear James P

Thank you for the review of your stay.

I am pleased that you were satisfied with most aspects of your stay and I can happily say we are in the process of rethinking our parking allocation for the hotel, to very much simplify matters.

Although our views over Bristol are not the Bahamas, our location will be seeing many exciting improvement in the coming months, includes major refurbishment of Temple mead train station and new Bristol Arena development.

Thank you again for your review and I hope that you will choose to stay with us again, if you are ever back in the area.

Best Regards,

Senior Guest Service Manager
UK
Reviewed 23 May 2014

I chose this hotel as it is just opposite Bristol Temple Meads Railway Station. I had an early flight from Bristol Airport. The airport buses go from the forecourt of the Temple Meads Station.

Despite the closeness to the railway station and a busy road outside, my room was quiet and well appointed. It was clean, modern with free Wi-Fi which worked.

I had time to enjoy the free buffet-style breakfast with a choice of fruit, cereals, teas, coffee, hot food (smallish selection) cheese, ham and pastries. This opened at 06:30 which was particularly convenient as I needed to leave shortly after 07:00.

The lady on check out seemed genuinely interested in my flight etc. - not just trying to be polite.

Overall I was pleased with my stay, and in similar circumstances I would certainly stay again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
ExpressBristolCity, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bristol City Centre, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for your kind review. We appreciate all feedback we receive. We hope to welcome you back in near future.

Best regards,
Guest Service Manager,
Tomas Bartuskevicius
Auchterarder, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Needing to be close to the station for a very early start, this fitted the bill. There is a multi storey car park at the rear of the hotel where Holiday Inn have 20 allocated spaces, failing this, the pay & display is alongside.
We had a room on the 6th floor. This looks to have been refurbished quite recently. The hotel is very clean, the staff are friendly and helpful. The breakfast is fairly basic, but is of a higher standard than that of the hotel of the same in Glasgow (An earlier review of mine) The only noise we experienced was for the bar next door - due to a hot evening they had opened a door at the rear, the same as our room! (This ceased by midnight)
Overall, this is value for money.

Room Tip: A room on a higher floor at the rear should be quieter
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
ExpressBristolCity, ​Senior Guest Service Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bristol City Centre, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Dear Ferrett55

Many thanks for posting a review of your recent stay with us.

I am delighted that you were happy with most aspects of your stay and scored us highly for our cleanliness, staff and value received.

Thank you once again, we do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Bristol again in the future.

​Kind regards,

​​Senior Guest Service Manager
0117 930 4800
Birkenhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 May 2014

As I was using public transport this is in a good location for Temple Meads station and the bus I always need to use. It is clean and there is little noise even though it is on a busy road. The free wifi was great when I could get it to work which was a problem on my last evening there. The breakfast is a little interesting and I agree with one of the previous posts that the cooked part of it is difficult to dish up because of the way you have to lift the front whilst holding on to a plate and trying to dish it out. This needs changing! As to the quality of the breakfast it was adequate although I did not personally like the sausages - spicy and foamy is about all I can say about them. Otherwise the hotel was clean and adequate and the staff very pleasant.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
HIEBristol, Senior Guest Services Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bristol City Centre, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Dear dibleydibley

Thank you for your review following your recent stay.

I am really pleased to hear that your room was clean and comfortable. I am sorry that you encountered a problem with our free Express Breakfast and will of course, be passing all points raised over to our team.

I hope that you will be back to stay with us again soon at Bristol.

Best Regards,

Senior Guest Services Manager
Amsterdam
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Was attending a show in the City Centre, and needed somewhere to stay for the night rather than drive 3 hours home the same night. Holiday Inn Express fitted the bill perfectly. 10 minute walk into town, somewhere to park the car (small charge) and a free breakfast in the morning. Tea and coffee in the room and a comfortable bed and hot shower. Lovely staff, simple hotel and very good value for money. Would recommend without hesitation. Oh also free Wi Fi.

Room Tip: We had front facing room with street view rather than car park at back. Triple glazing so traffic n...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear susanc

Thank you for your lovely review of your stay with us.

I am pleased to hear that everything was to your satisfaction and I am glad that you would like to stay again.

I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

Kind Regards,

Senior Guest Services Manager
West of England
Reviewed 14 May 2014

We stayed in this particular Holiday Inn in order to catch the coach to Bristol Airport first thing in the morning - for which it is ideally situated.
The staff couldn't have been friendlier ir more helpful, the room was fresh, airy and scrupulously clean. The only thing that let the place down was the breakfast. We were about to start a good few hours travelling and were looking forward to something hearty, well cooked and decent - in line with the settings. I was disappointed to say the least. It's a buffet service - but nobody tells you that unless you ask, and I could see no clear signs to that effect. The cooked items - consisting of baked beans, sausages and scrambled egg are kept in a sort of glass hot cupboard with lift up lids - which you can't keep open, hold a plate and spoon items onto your plate unless you have three hands. Which the majority of people don't. Then there is the quality of the food. Not good. The sausages tasted cheap and nasty, the scrambled egg was over cooked and had obviously been sat for some time, in fact the highlight of the the breakfast was the beans. I find that pretty sad in a well known, relatively high quality hotel. Had we had the time to complain, I would have done, but I trusted the brand to deliver a breakfast "product" of the quality that I would expect and therefore didn't leave sufficient time to do this. I would certainly consider staying here again because of the location, but I wouldn't hold my breath on getting a decent breakfast.

• Stayed May 2014
HIEBristol, ​Senior Guest Service Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bristol City Centre, responded to this review, 17 May 2014
Many thanks for posting a review of your recent stay with us.

I’m delighted that you were happy with most aspects of your stay and scored us highly for our cleanliness, rooms and location. I’m sorry that you did not enjoy our free continental style breakfast, as this is usually well received by the majority of our guests.

I hope that you will be back to stay with us again soon, certainly if you do wish to discuss your stay further , please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards,