“Bristol Balloon Fiesta”

GreenLeadersGold level
Northampton, England, United Kingdom
“Bristol Balloon Fiesta”
Reviewed 14 August 2012

Amazing hotel in the centre of Bristol near the waterside. Easy access and adjacent car park - with all car parking charges picked up by the hotel!!! Very central.
Great friendly staff, luxurious rooms and a definite value for money stay.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front tend to be more noisy from the waterside restaurants and bars on a Friday and Sat...
1 Thank Tim S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (911)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London, UK
Reviewed 13 August 2012

My boyfriend and I have just spent 3 nights at this hotel for a long weekend in Bristol.

First the good things:

The hotel furniture and decor is new, modern and tasteful. It is in a very central location, so in only a few steps you can walk to many restaurants along the riverside and within a few minutes walk you are within the city centre. There is also a deal with the NCP car park next door where you have free parking all weekend (you just need to get a car park exit ticket from Reception). The car park can be directly accessed from the hotel - so if your room is on the 3rd floor, just park on level 3b of the car park and you can walk straight into level 3 of the hotel (you just need your room key to open the door which accesses the hotel). The bar is at the back of the hotel and is cosy with a nice ambience. Reception can provide free city centre maps and are very helpful with local directions, buses and events going on.

The in-room safe can take a laptop. There is a hair dryer and iron/ironing board in the room, and a nice large flat screen TV. The hotel also has free wifi.

The not so good things...

Basically we weren't happy with our room - (we booked the standard room which is called "Superior" on the hotel's website). The main problems being noise, room size and lack of air conditioning. We did arrive late on a Friday evening (after 9pm) and the hotel was pretty much full. We were given a room on the 1st floor (101) which directly overlooks the main street at the front. The room was very small as was the bathroom, although we were able to just about fit our bags in the double width corridor without falling over them. It was quite a warm evening, but having the windows open whilst trying to sleep was impossible, as there was very loud traffic noise (buses and trucks/lorries passing frequently) and people talking/shouting on the street. In addition to this, internal doors in the hotel bang shut very loudly, and this banging of doors continued until about 1.45 am, although I guess the hotel cannot control how people close doors, but our room 101 was quite near the lift so we may have also been hearing the door which adjoins to the car park slamming shut as well as bedroom doors. We closed the windows and the double glazing but without air conditioning the room got too warm to sleep comfortably in. We asked to move rooms on the Saturday morning, but as the hotel was completely full all they could offer us was a room which was smaller(!) but it did face into an internal space so there would be no traffic noise. We decided to move to the even smaller room on the 3rd floor (312) but it was minute. The entrance corridor was only as wide as the door, and there was nowhere to put your bags/cases, but it was a little quieter during the night - although even there you could clearly hear the television (and other) noise from the facing rooms as the sound echoed up. We could tell which TV channel other rooms were watching! I am a light sleeper and bought ear plugs which helped and my boyfriend found the sound levels in the second room OK. However, as I write this having just got back from the hotel I am really tired having had 3 nights of bad/disturbed sleep in a row (because of the noise).

The bed was a bit on the soft side, but comfortable, although only a double size. We are used to a king size bed, so we found the double size cramped. The bathroom was also even smaller than in our original room.

Both my boyfriend and I remarked that these two rooms were the smallest we have ever stayed in. We could have moved to another larger room on the last night, but having already been in two different rooms for two nights, we didn't want to have to re-pack and move again for our third and final night, so we decided to stay in the room for the last night.

Overall the hotel seems nice enough, and we paid about £70 per night for a room only deal booked on Bookings.com. So perhaps we shouldn't complain about the tiny rooms. We bought breakfast out at Rocotillos which was fantastic and much cheaper that the hotel's standard breakfast price which was £16pp for full English, whereas at Rocotillos we paid about £15 for the two of us to have coffee and large breakfasts (which kept up going pretty much until the evening).

In hindsight perhaps we should have paid a bit more and booked the next level of room up. We even considered moving to a different hotel (the Radisson Blu was just down the road, but the prices we were quoted were around £120 per night so we didn't really want to pay that much) If I visit the Bristol/Bath area again I doubt that I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Room 101 and 312 (so I assume 201, 212, 310... etc) are tiny. Upgrade to the next level up of room...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AccidentQueen
TheBristolHotel, Manager at The Bristol, responded to this review, 14 August 2012
Dear AccidentQueen

Thank you for your review and your feedback, suffice to say that I was disappointed with your comments and a sorry that you felt disappointed with your experience in our hotel.

In regards to our standard rooms they are a standard size bedroom for UK hotels and we usually get good feedback on the room decor and facilities. However I would like to assure you that we welcome your feedback and as we are a learning organisation we appreciate all feedback and find it very valuable in moving forward and improving the service that we provide to our guests. In regards to the noise, please accept my apology, being a city centre hotel on the harbour side, sometimes on the weekend it could be noisy however with the secondary windows this should not disturb you at night.

I have updated your profile so that we can allocate you a larger and quieter standard room on your next visit. As you mentioned on the review, we were full on the weekend and we only had 1 room left to offer you as a room move. As per our record we did offer a room move for the Sunday night but this was declined which I appreciate was not ideal after already moving once during your stay.

Once again I would like to apologise on behalf of the hotel and thank you for making us aware of the issues that you experienced. I hope that you will give us the opportunity to regain your confidence in The Bristol Hotel, please contact myself directly to ensure a pleasant stay.

I look forward to seeing you back with us in the near future.

Kind regards,

Raphael Herzog
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 August 2012

Very impressed with the toiletries supplied by this hotel - so rare to get Shampoo and separate Conditioner! We were on 5th floor and it was very warm so the air conditioning unit was a plus. It was nice to have water /lemon waiting for you in Reception when you returned from sightseeing etc.

We had dinner in the hotel and it was terrific - novel the way it was served though - on a platter and they used glass pots with lids for pate and french fries.

Staff were so helpful and nothing was any trouble - I asked for softer pillows and they were a dream (and no I didn't borrow them!!!)

Very handy for the centre and lovely sitting looking at the waterfront while having a meal - think the glass is tinted so you can see out but no-one can see in - several noses pressing against the glass outside didn't disturb us!!

Room Tip: Worth paying for a superior room and it was nice facing the waterfront
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2012

Just spent a night in this fantastic hotel. I cannot fault it, the rooms were just like the picture. The reception staff were very helpful and pleasant . The restaurant staff were all smiles. Not a grumpy member of staff in sight. We were right by the quay side in the middle of all the hussel and bussel. Saturday lunch we had a meal in the market about 5 minute walk, lots of different food to choose from in a lovely on market. At night drink and a meal by the waters edge. This morning a beautiful breakfast catering for veggie's and lots of gluten free choices as well stuff for meat eaters, fruit, Danish pastries, breads, cold meats, cheese shall I go on?? Great you must go!!

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2012

Pros: location, spacious room, modern shower, nice view over waterfront (even though standard room), good toiletries, Nespresso coffee machine

Cons: (clutching at straws) ugly building from the outside

Conclusion: couldn't have asked for much more from the Bristol hotel - well definitely

• Stayed August 2012
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2012

I thought this hotel was amazing. We stayed here for New Year. Ultra luxurious, lovely big room with a great view of the waterside! We could see fireworks from our room which was great. Comfy beds and very clean. The bar area was very modern and stylish. This hotel is in an ideal location, right by the waterside and next to some lovely bars/restaurants. I would stay here again if it was cheaper and this is the best hotel i have stayed in in Bristol so far!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2012

Firstly fantastic service with a friendly and welcoming start as soon as we approached the reception.
Stayed in room 233 on the second floor facing the quayside. Pleasant room (albeit slightly smaller then previous "superior" rooms I have stayed in) with all the amenities required of a 4* Hotel.
Surprised to see the door to the bathroom has smoked glass as the main body!!, not really what you want to see is your partner's silhouette sitting on the loo whilst your laying in bed (which faces directly at the door).
Secondly the bath is not on the normal size, being 6" 3 felt a little awkward trying to stand and have a shower and then once finished the bathroom looked like a sauna (full of steam with no apparent ventilator) and water everywhere....Shower screen not big enough!
Breakfast.....again very polite friendly welcome and we were shown to our table and told where to go for our food.
Opted for the cooked breakfast (spoilt myself)...wish I hadn't bothered. Sausage tasted of rubber, bacon nearly chipped a tooth and mushrooms tasted weird.
Overall, hotel was clean, nicely located and staff were excellent.

Room Tip: Try and get a room facing the quayside.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
TheBristolHotel, Manager at The Bristol, responded to this review, 10 August 2012
Dear DannyBoyUK38

Thank you very much for your feedback, I'm glad to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us and that you found all our staff friendly and professional.
Memorable luxury experiences are what the team continue to strive for and I am thrilled that in this instance they looked after you the way they did.

In regards to the breakfast, I will discuss this with my executive chef as all our sausages and bacon are locally sourced and we usually get good comment about our breakfast quality and variety. We have high standards here at the Bristol hotel and I apologise that they were not adhered to on this occasion.

I would like to assure you that we welcome your feedback on the bathroom layout and design and as we are a learning organisation we appreciate all feedback and find it very valuable in moving forward and improving the service that we provide to our guests.

I look forward to seeing you back with us in the near future.

Kind regards,