“Afternoon tea etc”

The Bristol
Ranked #3 of 39 Hotels in Bristol
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 24 October 2012

Some friends were staying at the hotel to visit friends in Bristol and to celebrate a birthday.
We met for "afternoon tea". It was a shambles to be honest. From ordering to receiving the food was a good 45 minutes or more. The tea arrived within 10 minutes but not the food. We would of had to order more tea and therefore more cost. £17.50 for what you receive is a tad on the steep side. Do not go by the photo that is on the right of thier web page either. Not sanwiches but soggy miniscule open top slop and a thing supposed to be a scone but more like a tea cake to be honest - at least in appearance.
Tea in pots but no additional hot water ???????????????????

I wont even mention the evening meal ! £13.50 for a vegetarian "sausage " roll. Said on the menu strudle - sorry but that was not strudle. It looked like a Greggs sausage roll

Harvey Nicks - £15.50 and much nicer

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Debs F
TheBristolHotel, Manager at The Bristol, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor regarding your recent visit in our River Grille Restaurant

Suffice to say I am extremely disappointed with your comments and a sorry that you felt disappointed. This is unfortunately the first time we have been made aware about your issues and I’m sure that if we were notified about your issues we would have been in a position to rectify the issues. We have been praised by so many diners about the quality of our food and I apologize if we did let you down on this occasion.

I appreciate your feedback and I will review it as 45 minutes is excessive however you can’t expect a Fresh afternoon tea to be ready in 10 minutes. Only by booking a table we can guarantee that you will have your afternoon tea within 10 minutes as everything is prepared to order.
Standards of service are the hallmark of our business and clearly in this instance we did not deliver. We have been praised by many people about the quality of our afternoon tea served in our River lounge and we have high standards and I apologise that they were not adhered to on this occasion. I have gone through your points in detail with my Restaurant Manager and Executive Chef to find out the reasons for the inexcusable lapse.

On our menu, there is a picture of our new afternoon tea and it is presented to match that, however please accept my apology if this is not the case on our website and I will amend that. The afternoon tea includes scones, freshly made open sandwiches, fresh mini cakes, tea breads… as per the picture on our menu

Once again I would like to apologise and thank you for making us aware of the issues that you experienced. I hope that you will give us the opportunity to regain your confidence. Please contact me directly by email on the rivergrille@doylecollection.com so that I can make amend

I look forward to hearing from you in the near future.

Yours Sincerely

Raphael Herzog

Write a ReviewReviews (3,780)

Reviewed 19 October 2012 via mobile

Booked through Lastminute.com as a secret 4* town centre hotel and paid £80.

Apart from a room with a view of a wall rather than the water front and a tiny bathroom, all in all pretty good.

A great location for a night out in Bristol. The O2 Academy is 5 mins walk.

• Stayed: October 2012
2  Thank vontrap1
TheBristolHotel, Manager at The Bristol, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2012

Dear vontrap1

I am delighted that you had an overall enjoyable stay with us and indeed my sincerest thanks for you taking the time to complete our survey.

Thank you for your positive feedback on the location and the service you have received.

However I do note that you only scored us 3/5 and I would very much appreciate if you could elaborate further on this, so that I can look into the matter and remedy what issues may have arisen during your stay.

Again many thanks for your feedback and I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 18 October 2012

Stayed here recently for a friends wedding. Was a bit worried by the outside of the hotel but once inside we were welcomed by old world charm coupled with the modernity of the view over the waterfront.
Staff were very welcoming and helpful. Nice central location, a little bit of a walk to the station but helped burn off the delicious food we had in the hotel restaurant. The celebration of pig was a revelation and we were pleasantly surprised what good value it was - I still need the recipe for pigs trotter!
Would definitely stay again and have recommended to friends and family

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 October 2012

stayed here whilst visiting Bristol for business but my handicapped sister and mum and dad came with me as they'd never been to Bristol
Hotel looks ugly from outside but reception and mezzanine bar are lovely, fabulous view from bar and breakfast room over the water.
Rooms are small, I didnt ask for a disabled room for my sister as she can walk but had trouble negotiating getting her in the shower as we had to shut the bathroom door first due to size of bathroom. Unfortunately my shower flooded the bathroom, the reception did offer us another room to shower in this was just unfortunate, my parents had no trouble with their shower.
Rooms are comfortable, good furnishings, very clean, nice view over the water.
Good location for tourists, bars and restaurants and very good that the car park is accessible from every floor of the hotel, very convenient for checking out although car park only free overnight.
Slightly overpriced for quality of accomodation but I guess that's because it's city centre in south of England
Breakfast had everything although as my sister struggles with stairs she had to access it through the kitchens.

Room Tip: with a view over the water
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 October 2012

The room was very good, clean with all the facilities that we needed, the location was great as we were working at the Arnolfini but the breakfast was a real let down. The coffee was dire and the bacon and sausages were dull.
The staff were all very helpful and it was a good stay, the hotel just needs to pull it's socks up at breakfast time.

Room Tip: There can be noise from the waterside bars and from the road so if you're not fussy about the vi...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
TheBristolHotel, Manager at The Bristol, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2012

Dear JCBC65

I am delighted that you had an overall enjoyable stay with us and indeed my sincerest thanks for you taking the time to complete an online review.

I am extremely disappointed with your comments on the breakfast and a sorry that you felt disappointed. We usually get very good comment on our breakfast and the sausages and bacon are sourced locally which is well appreciated by our guest. Clearly in this instance we did not deliver for breakfast and please accept our apology.

I would like to assure you that we welcome your feedback and as we are a learning organisation we appreciate all feedback and find it very valuable in moving forward and improving the service that we provide to our guests.

Again many thanks for your feedback and we look forward to your return in the near future.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 15 October 2012

Great service, free parking, free wifi, great location, clean rooms and a good varied breakfast!
I would recommend this hotel for a visit to Bristol as it seems everything is in walking distance.
I am sure we will return.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank easylifeInverness
Reviewed 15 October 2012

The Bristol is fab...look, it is in the centre of the city so yes, there may be some night noise although we found it quite quiet. It's a funky 60s style buidling on the outside but the inside is really lovely. Highly recommend the sharer platter (ordered in the bar) that includes black pudding scotch eggs. Good hair dryer in room, although the cord isn't long enough to reach the mirror (I carry my own extension lead) but I suspect the excelllent staff would have been able to provide a lead.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple