The Bristol
Ranked #3 of 39 Hotels in Bristol
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 18 February 2013

We booked this hotel about a month in advance and the excellent customer service received upon booking was replicated throughout our stay. The staff here are friendly, efficient and obliging. We received a free upgrade which was greatly appreciated so the room was a good size with a neat coffee machine, robes and a nice harbour view. Everything was clean and the decor was in good order. Overall, the room was as described and very comfortable including sumptuous pillows and a very comfortable bed. We ordered breakfast to our room which was of a good standard (the sausages were excellent and my egg poached to perfection). I can't understand why people would complain about outside noise if they've booked a hotel in such close proximity to the city's night life hub. On the 6th floor this wasn't an issue at all and we were not distracted by any noise. The free car parking is a real bonus and makes this hotel good value for money. If you're looking for a good quality hotel in central Bristol then I highly recommend The Bristol. There are cheaper options but you get what you pay for.

Room Tip: great views and quieter rooms on the sixth floor.
1  Thank thewinewurzel78
Bristol_GM1, General Manager at The Bristol, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2013

Dear Sandbags78,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review,

We are glad you enjoyed the complimentary upgrade to our Deluxe rooms, the Nespresso machines tend to go down well so we are glad you enjoyed it also.

I have also passed on your review to our room service department who appreciate the positive feedback on our Breakfast,

Our main aim is to offer luxury, quality and value for money and it is great that you felt we delivered on this.

we hoe to welcome you back to The Bristol hotel in the near future,

The Bristol Hotel

Write a ReviewReviews (3,780)

Reviewed 17 February 2013

I do not recommend this hotel - neither of us managed to sleep last night. The bed was completely worn out and dipped in the middle, and so when you lie down you end up rolling into the middle of the bed. They tried to disguise the worn out bed with a mattress topper but it was still really uncomfortable. I woke up with a bad back.

Even worse was their customer service, we told the front desk who said they couldn't do anything about it. We asked for the manager and he also insisted as we had paid an advance purchase rate (£95) he could not process a refund. This turned out to be a lie and eventually we were offered a 50% refund and if we go back again we can have a discount. We won't be returning to take up the offer. The primary reason to stay in a hotel is to have a bed to sleep in, I am shocked that we weren't offered a full refund when we had no functional bed in the room. For almost £100 a night this is not what you expect.

Also if two of you are going pack an extra towel as we only had one in the room.

5  Thank amanda_50101

Dear Amanda_50101,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review,

Clearly the hotel did not live up to your expectations and please accept my apologies for this.

Generally we find the toppers are more comfortable than having a split bed, and it has been very successful for us to date but appreciate everyone's sleeping needs are different.

I believe Mike our Rooms division manager has been in touch with regards the issue and trust it was resolved to your satisfaction.

If I can be of any further assistance please don't hesitate to get in touch directly,

Reviewed 17 February 2013 via mobile

Clean and well located but distinctly average - poor sound proofing so lots of neighbouring noises. Bed was comfortable. Coffee machine in the room ddint have a water container. Room service cappucinos were luke warm. Breakfast was a buffet and average. Service was poor - my wife ordered a decaf tea on arrival and it didn't arrive until we were finished. We probably wouldn't go back

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank JamesGGLondon
Reviewed 17 February 2013

On arrival we were welcomed to our stay by friendly staff. When checking in, we were asked if we wanted a "quiet" room. This we found rather odd as I thought everyone would like a quiet room, so I answered yes. We were given a room which was clean and well furnished, but then I wondered if I would have accepted a "noisy" room perhaps we would have had a room with a view over the harbour, rather than a view over another roof ?
Unfortunately, the quiet room became noisy when the housekeeping staff arrived each morning. One morning, even the fire alarm was sounded.
We are not early risers, and when spending time away we hope the "do not disturb" door label will be noticed.
Apart from that, the hotel offered everything we expected. A great location, nearby free parking and comfortable surroundings

1  Thank Buster B
Reviewed 16 February 2013

We chose this hotel especially for its location as the trip was to celebrate my birthday and frequent old haunts from the time we both lived in Bristol. Upon arrival a refundable charge was deducted from our credit card in anticipation of purchases made from the mini bar which I have never encountered before. Our "deluxe" room was nicely decorated and true to the picture on the website but both the bedroom and bathroom were small and furthermore there was no mini bar in evidence. Worst of all the room overlooked Princes Street and offices opposite when I had been hopeful of a quayside view. However, the bed was the most comfortable we have ever slept in. The cleanliness of our room and hotel in general cannot be faulted. The bar area was very civilised with a nice selection of cocktails although we did not spend time there during our stay. Breakfast was standard fare. To end on a positive note, the staff were extremely professional and helful. Maybe I expected too much as this hotel is rated 5th in Bristol and I have very high standards. Please do not let my review deter you from staying here but do your homework in advance.

Room Tip: Ask for a quayside room.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Bristol_GM1, General Manager at The Bristol, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2013

Dear totjelly,

Thank you for taking the time to review The Bristol hotel.

Overall you appeared to have had a good stay, with the exception of a few items.

We don't have mini bars in any of our bedrooms so I am not sure why one of the team would make that analogy, I will however ensure they all see the review for future reference.

We take a credit card "pre authorisation" at check in which puts a hold on funds in your account, (usually £30 per night) this allows you to charge additional items to your room whilst also providing security to the hotel. The hotel does not hold the money, the bank does. The hotel cannot access the funds until you enter your pin number on check out.
This is very much standard practice in all hotels.

Hopefully we will see you back at the hotel in the future,

Reviewed 16 February 2013

Stayed in this hotel early February.
Easy and pleasant check in, and the reception area/surrounding area very nice looking, although I couldn't see the reception at first because it was behind a big pillar!
Room was good and well equipped although a bit small, as was the bathroom, I don't think all rooms are though, I was happy enough as we had a nice view facing the water.
I did find the room cold though. The blower in the room was hot for about a minute, then starting blowing cold, then hot, and it was loud. Didn't hear any noise from outside though even if it was busy! Bed was a small double, but I'm used to king sized.
Good location for what we wanted although slight walk to the main shops. I would stay again, worth the price paid.

Room Tip: Ask for a bigger sized room and if you are a cold person like me take a warm jumper!

Dear Loyalroyal1871,

We are glad you enjoyed the hotel and waterfront views and that overall you found the hotel to be of good value,

Remember, if returning, best rates are guaranteed on our direct website,

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Bristol hotel,

sincerely

Reviewed 15 February 2013

Booked one night in half term to do Theatre trip, Aquarium, At Bristol, Perfect location, easy parking next doors at NCP and hotel sorted out charges.Excellent interconnecting clean comfortable rooms. Great breakfast lots of choice and happy smiley staff throughout, that took a genuine interest in what we were doing and good with the children.Zsa Zsa restaurant opposite the hotel, just over the river bridge.
Will definitely stay again , good rates too.

Room Tip: WE asked for interconnecting rooms as have 2 boys,although not riverside we're lovely
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family

Dear BathCharlierJack,

We appreciate the great review,

It is great that you found the location convenient, as you pointed out it is ideal for the Theatre, Aquarium and @Bristol.
I also note you enjoyed Za Za Bazarr, it is a great buffet restaurant and one the kids will enjoy for sure!!

We look forward to seeing you again should you be back in Bristol,