“Great One Night Stay”

GreenLeadersGold level
Trowbridge
“Great One Night Stay”
Reviewed 2 June 2013

We stayed here over the bank holiday weekend, we arrived early and asked to if we could leave our bags and we were able to check in and go the room which was great as we were out with freinds for the rest of the day. Every member of staff we encountered were very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was really good with lots of choice. Also the free parking was a great bonus as we could leave the car there after check out and go shopping. If we have to stay in Bristol again we will definately stay here,

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Bristol_GM1, General Manager at The Bristol, responded to this review, 3 June 2013
Dear Towbridgecheeselet,

We are delighted you had a great stay with us over the weekend and additionally pleased you availed of our free car parking to get some extra shopping in when you left the hotel,

Glad we could be of service!!

The Bristol Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (902)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Alaior, Spain
Reviewed 2 June 2013

I booked this hotel to host an international convention. Having not run an event of this nature before, I was slightly nervous. Christie, the events organiser was brilliant, making very useful suggestions and nothing was too much trouble. On the day, we were looked after by the Operations Manager and everything was very well organised. The finger buffet was excellent and the audio-visual equipment worked faultlessly. The rooms were comfortable but the bathrooms rather small for a 4 star hotel. However, this was compensated for by the hotel's excellent situation, right int heart of the Historic Floating Harbour. It was the first day of summer and it lived up to its billing, so the waterside evironment was buzzing with boats, ferries and action of all sorts. It was a good choice for the convention and I would certainly recommend it.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Dear DHBahiya,

Thank you for your review and vote of confidence for all hosting international conferences!!

Majority of our guests staying with us do not even realise the adjacent building under the car park is a conference centre, but the fact they are separate means there is little disruption on either side for all guests.

Christy was delighted with you comments and hopes to welcome you back to the Bristol hotel in the future,

Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2013

We stayed on a midweek break for one night. Our room was a superior double, clean and modern overlooking the harbour on the fourth floor. The room was on the small side for what I imagined a superior room to be. I was disappointed that the bathroom did not have a bath, only a shower. We had quite a disturbed night with loud music and people shouting at the clubs around the harbour until around 3am. The bed was on the small side and the mattress not comfortable at all, it sagged in the middle, which added to the lack of sleep. However the hotel is in an excellent location for exploring the harbour an the SS Great Britain is a pleasant stroll away. Also parking is excellent.Breakfast was also very good with lots of choice.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a bath if you dont like showers. Ask for a room not overlooking the harbour if...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Nicola S,

we are glad you enjoyed our location and the SS great Britain is certainly one of the best tourist attractions Bristol has to offer, I have been twice this year myself!

It is disappointing to see you were disturbed by noise during your stay, although it will be of little solace to you it is rare to hear of loud music complaints midweek.

If you are back in the Bristol area in the future, please mail me direct and I will be happy to personally look after your booking and ensure you get a room with bath over looking the harbour,

Sussex, UK
Reviewed 1 June 2013

One night stay in a deluxe room. From the welcome at reception to check out this was a very good experience. The hotel was very busy including two weddings but there were always sufficient staff and they were all excellent. Room wasn't that big but beautifully decorated and equipped with excellent TV, coffee machine, fantastic bathroom etc. Air con a bit rubbish. The location of the hotel is superb being with a few yards of the harbourside which a great area to wander, eat and drink with loads to see. Breakfast was superb. Good quality food, kept hot and fresh on the buffet. Service first class in the restaurant. And, an excellent point, free car parking in the adjacent NCP. Thoroughly recommended.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Midsussex,

we are glad you had a good stay, as you pointed out we had two weddings in the hotel over the weekend so very busy indeed.
great to hear you availed of our free car parking also,

we hope to welcome you back to the Bristol hotel in the near future,

Dane End
Reviewed 30 May 2013

The hotel is of good quality. My room was of contemporary design with a nice view of the river. The only issue (with the room) was the tiny bathroom (actually only a shower not a bath - not mentioned by reception/during booking). The gym is nothing more than a token gesture.
The restaurant is attractive and the quality of food was good (reasonable hotel prices).
The main attraction was the location, right in the centre of the city with the quayside bars & restaurants, shopping & queen square etc adjacent.

Room Tip: If you want a bath, make sure you say at point of booking.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Bristol_GM1, General Manager at The Bristol, responded to this review, 1 June 2013
Dear ChrisG_N10,

We are glad you had an enjoyable stay and felt the location was suited to your needs,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2013

I returned from 2 nights at Hotel Bristol yesterday and while some aspects of it were good, I did leave feeling that the service wasn't what should be expected and that was disappointing as the hotel clearly makes an effort in many other areas.
I wanted to take my daughter to stay in Bristol for 2 nights as a treat for her 10th birthday and I chose the Hotel Bristol for the good reviews and the photos, as it was her first time in a hotel I wanted her to really enjoy it. The location is super and the parking is great as it's easy to carry the bags into the hotel. The checkin was slightly brusque with more emphasis being put on charges and credit cards than any sense of welcome with a smile. Our room was a disappointment mainly due to the slightly bizarre view - we were on the 4th floor and the room has a large window which simply faces another wall opposite, so all you see when you walk in is a bank of other windows facing you like a gulag. The room is called a superior double which rather implies it's better than a normal double but it's clearly their basic room which isn't obvious when booking. My daughter loved the bed and the bathroom was good (I have yet to see a large hotel bathroom so this one was small but well stocked and very clean) though the carpet was tired and there were scuffs on the walls. The room was thoughtfully stocked with a hairdryer and iron and tea which were all useful, the bed was small but very comfortable and beautifully made up. All in all, though the room was a slight disappointment it could have been worse, and there were positive aspects to it such as it being quiet. There really isn't much the hotel can do about the booming music from the bars across the water.

The only sour notes were the service. On the Monday the 27th I let my daughter order room service for lunch as a birthday treat. She was so excited and spent ages chosing what to have from the menu but then when I phoned to place the order, for what seemed like a very long time nobody was answering the phone. I started to feel a bit frustrated and called Reception who told me that they'd had this complaint from others and that they would take my order and pass it on. A simple apology would have been nice to have had, I'm not usually that fussy but the sense was that somehow I was a bother and I didn't think the person on the end of the phone had very good manners. Later that day we decided to go to the bar and then have dinner to celebrate. I wanted her to have a mocktail as I knew she would love the shaker and the procedure and the decorated glass. However we sat in the bar for 15 minutes and there was nobody serving. In the end I again had to make a trip to Reception to ask, I stopped a guy with a room service trolley who was very sweet and said he's ask for someone to go to the bar to serve. When the woman did arrive again there was no apology, she just took our order. I know this may seem slightly petty but I did feel the day that had supposed to be full of first time treats had deflated as the service was just not up to a basic standard. I really don't know why this was, maybe they were busy or short staffed but a smile and an apology go a long way. After this second disappointment I took my daughter elsewhere for dinner as I didn't want to risk anything else being delayed or offhand as it was supposed to be her special day but I have never felt less special and I have stayed in a great many hotels.

The staff we met in the lifts and who brought room service were all lovely. I guess my frustration is that having planned the trip for a few weeks I chose the hotel for what is looked like it could provide - a special place to celebrate a special time - but got the feeling that guests are a bit of a bother who get in the way of running a business. I really had wanted to enjoy it and find the positive in it and if I was travelling for business I think the hotel would be fine and could recommend it for that, but if you want to feel welcomed or looked after I would be inclined to look into other options.

Room Tip: Check what view you will have if that is important to you as you can't assume you will be lookin...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Dear Acefood1,

Thank you for your very comprehensive review, it is great to get such detailed feedback as ultimately it helps us improve.

Clearly you felt left down by some of our service levels during your stay and I am sincerely sorry about this, I have sent on your review to the team to ensure all are aware of your experience, providing individual luxury and experiences are what we are about, clearly in this instance we failed.

Rest assured we will use your perfectly reasonable comments to ensure the team are being extra vigilant going forward,

Truro, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2013

We stayed here overnight because we had an early start at Bristol hospital. When we arrived, they did not have an record of our booking but we were shown to the bar where we were given complimentary drinks. Within a couple of minuites we were given our room which was excellent. It was spacious, spotlessly clean and the coffee machine and selection of coffee was amazing. The breakfast did not dissapoint either, there was a massive choice to suit all and it was taken overlooking the waterfront. I would recommend this hotel to anyone. Parking is on site at the multi storey and the mix up at reception (maybe because i booked through a third party) was delt with perfectly.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Linda12048,

Thank you for your "excellent" review of the hotel,

We are delighted you had a great stay and availed of our complimentary car parking,