“Plush spot by the water”
Review of The Bristol

The Bristol
Ranked #4 of 37 Hotels in Bristol
GreenLeadersGold level
Huddersfield
“Plush spot by the water”
Reviewed 30 November 2013

The Bristol Hotel is unusually plush. I have never seen so many sofas and cushions. The staff are great. the rooms are super comfortable. It is showing its age, but carries it well. Lots of congenial corners (more sofas) and a friendly little bar. The place is geared for big conference groups in the hotel conference centre. It can cater for hundreds, but manages to keep it feeling friendly. I was on a conference, but this would be a good family hotel. It is situated in the redeveloped harbour area, with lots of "shed" restaurants and museum attractions. The Arnolfini is next door.The boats moored in the harbour are not exactly St Tropez, more fishing village. Bristol is small enough for the whole city to be accessible.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Bristol_GM1, General Manager at The Bristol, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
Dear Shelpyman,

We are glad you like our hotel and offering. You are correct in that our conference centre is located adjacent to the hotel so although a great venue for Business use, it is also nicely separated from the hotel and therefore does not impact the ambiance of the hotel itself.

We hope to see you again in the near future,

The Bristol Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (889)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Canada
Reviewed 29 November 2013

I have some good things to say about this hotel: friendly and competent service, nice location, comfortable bed, and a reasonable price (at least when I booked). There are a few details that could be worked on (buckling carpet, a magnifying mirror that requires contortions to use, doors that don't close easily) but none of these we're deal breakers for me.

Here's the problem: The hotel's proximity to many pubs and nightclubs, coupled with weird acoustics, means you can hear hordes of drunken people talking, yelling, singing and fighting loudly until very early in the morning even with the windows closed. This was true for the five nights of my stay so it is not a weekends-only thing. The sad alternative to a noisy room facing the water or the road is a dark room facing other rooms in the courtyard- if you want privacy you can't even open your drapes.

So if you like a light room and dislike noise then this hotel is not a good choice.

Room Tip: Your choice is a quiet(er) and dark room on the courtyard or a bright and noisy room on the exterior...
2 Thank piselli
Dear Piselli,

I am sorry that noise disrupted your stay with us, but appreciate your positive comments on the hotel also.

Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 November 2013

I've stayed here a couple of times for work and it is in a great location. There are some things that need to be improved, though.
The bathroom is awkward and small. The bedroom in general is big, so it's odd that the bathroom is so tiny and cramped. There isn't enough room in there for stuff, plus the faucet isn't quite the right size for the sink, so water spills over.
It would be great to have bottles of water in the room as well as a small fridge.
The breakfast has very little for vegetarians and what's even worse is that you're expected to use the same utensils to take eggs and hash browns as people do to take sausages and bacon. I had to request a different set of utensils and they acted as though this was strange. I worry that they might cook the eggs and meat on the same range. So as a result I just avoided the cooked food and just had cereal. It would be helpful to have soya milk out too (they have it, but you have to ask).
You can easily hear noise from the hallway and other rooms -- my neighbours kept me up most nights with their TV, and I also was woken in the middle of the night by screaming drunk people returning from a night out.
But on the positive side, everyone who works here tends to be really friendly. That makes a difference!
I'd stay here again, but I'd go elsewhere for breakfast, I think.

Dear Vegiedyke,

I would agree with you in that some of our rooms are odd in that the bedrooms are quite large but with smaller bathrooms, this stems back from when the hotel initially opened in 1964, it opened with over 350 bedrooms, over the past 50 years we have halved the bedroom stock but there are some nuances in terms of size as a result of previous works done.

I have also passed on your comments to our Breakfast team regarding our Vegetarian options but they have highlighted to me that we are the only hotel (that we know of) in the city who have vegetarian sausages on our hot buffet, with fresh fruit, cereals, pastries & bread, juices, smoothes and yoghurts and hot items such as hash browns, cooked tomatoes and Mushrooms as well as eggs of choice we feel we are better than average in this area.

london
Reviewed 29 November 2013 via mobile

As hotels this is friendly and the staff are welcoming on arrival. The public areas are fitted out to a good standard. Free parking in the adjacent NCP car park. Free wifi throughout the hotel. But the room!!

On the floor plans for escape it is the smallest by a long way. The double bed dominates the room and if working at the desk the chair goes back against it. The bathroom is also the smallest I have ever used. Just about room to stand up in. It's almost like a converted broom cupboard. It's room 510.

Breakfast was freshly made and for a change a proper cup of decaffinated coffee. Reasonable value for the resident rate of £8.

Overall and having stayed before and knowing what the size of rooms could be, I would stay again but ask for a real bedroom.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear BrianS,

I would agree that your room is one of our smaller rooms.

If returning to Bristol, please feel free to drop me a note direct on my address below and I'll happily look after your next reservation with us and ensure you get a larger room.

Remember our best available rates are always found on our direct website,

Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 26 November 2013

We stayed for four nights in room 602 mid-november to visit Bristol. The Bristol Hotel is perfectly located near/in the center and a 10min walk from Temple Meads. Staff was friendly and helpful and the room was certainly up to standards and clean.
There were however some details that annoyed me and because of these I decided not to give a 4-star rating.
The first one I noticed was the lack of a minibar, always easy to keep the drinks you bought cool.
Two remarks about the bathroom, although very nice and clean there was no toilet brush to be found and the shower head was too low, I kept bumping my head into it and I'm not a particularly tall person.

All in all it could just be that we had bad luck with our room so I won't exclude this hotel if I ever visit Bristol again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear BeukT,

Thank you for your review, after staying for four nights it certainly puts you in a good position to review us fairly.

I am glad overall you enjoyed your stay, what I would say on your comments are:
602 I believe is a very nice room and I would think a good size for a longer stay. (it is not a suite but also very much priced accordingly)
We don't have toilet brushes in our rooms, we service each day and can do so more frequently if requested, we find toilet brushes as not being overly hygienic.
We don't have mini bars in any of our rooms, again if requested we can facilitate a bar for guests to store drinks. (I am not sure if you requested this or not but it should have been no problem) .

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 November 2013

just spent a lovely weekend at The Bristol Hotel with the wife, check in was swift and staff very pleasant and helpful, a request was made for a high floor over looking the river which was great providing lovely views, as we were celebrating a birthday, the hotel had a very pleasant surprise for us with slippers and dressing gowns, and complimentary cocktails, the hotel staff were superb and always smiling, The hotel has great looking and comfortable rooms, the hotel bars were a very comfortable place to sit , and enjoy a peaceful drink and chat before going out and then returning for a night cap, the location was perfect for getting about. we will certainly be returning

Room Tip: rooms overlooking the river provide great views,
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear SteveB,

Thank you for your great review and five stars,

I am glad you enjoyed your birthday celebrations whilst with us and all aspects of your stay lived up to your expectations.

If booking again, remember our best available rates and packages are always found on our direct website,

London
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Stayed at the Bristol hotel a few weeks ago - and it remains a very pleasant memory. Lovely comfortable room and exceptional service. At reception they could not have been more helpful in resolving a query I had regarding directions to my meeting the next day, at dinner the staff new my name...and again at breakfast. Exceptional processes in place to make you feel a valued customer. Will definitely stay there again when in Bristol.

Dear PeterF,

Thank you for the great review, I believe this is your second one for the property.

We appreciate all your kind comments, ultimately this is what drives us on to continually improve and deliver.

We hope to see you again when back in Bristol,

General Manger