“Good hotel next to the harbour”
Review of The Bristol

The Bristol
Ranked #3 of 38 Hotels in Bristol
GreenLeadersGold level
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
“Good hotel next to the harbour”
Reviewed 14 June 2014

We stayed here for three nights. Room was a good size although the bathroom was very small if adequate. The bed was comfortable. The free parking was a great bonus as was the free WiFi. I cannot understand why more expensive hotels charge for in room WiFi. We were at the back which we hoped would be quiet and it would've been if it were not for the seagulls calling most of the night. Unfortunately our room did not have air con so we had to leave the windows open or I think we wouldn't have been disturbed by them. Apparently the floor we were on (2) was due to have air con fitted so those seagulls won't disturb your sleep in the future. There was a fan provided. The room has a safe but no fridge. It has tea and coffee making facilites in the room. There is also a hairdryer. The hotel is close to the harbour and all the city centre amenities. The reception staff were friendly. The only real downside was that they don't have twin bedded rooms so we had to share a double bed, (we were two ladies sharing). The price is reasonable for a city centre hotel. We didn't eat there as breakfast at £9 was rather expensive but there are plenty of restaurants nearby. We got a basic breakfast at the cafe across the road for £2.50. Altogether a good stay and I would recommend this hotel to everyone.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Pauline J
Gareth B, Director of Operations at The Bristol, responded to this review, 15 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful review.

I am delighted to read that you had a great time with us; as you mentioned we do provide complimentary WiFi throughout the hotel for all of our guests to avail of. This is a standard you will find in all 8 Doyle Collection hotels.

I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back with us soon.

Director of Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (895)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Loughborough
Reviewed 13 June 2014

We stayed at the Bristol hotel as it had been recommended by MShed who we were using as the venue for my daughter's 21st birthday party. It could not have been better located not only for proximity to MShed but also for the great views of the harbour and central Bristol. It is a high quality hotel with friendly and helpful staff. We were especially impressed by having live piano music at breakfast! I would definitely stay again on our next visit to Bristol

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Ruth W

Wow – thank you for your 5 star review1

I am delighted you had a great stay with us and I am glad we helped make your daughters 21st a little more memorable. We are in the perfect location for events hosted at the Mshed; as you mentioned we are only a few minutes walk away. Wishing your daughter a belated ‘Happy Birthday.’

We are looking forward to welcoming you back with us again soon.

Reviewed 13 June 2014

My husband and I stayed at the hotel for one night for my birthday. The location of the hotel is great and the free-parking a real bonus. All of the staff we interacted with were professional, helpful and friendly. We called on our way to the hotel in the morning at 11.30am to ask if we could possibly check in earlier than the published time. The receptionist checked and said we could check in straight away, which was great. We had a deluxe room with the Berries & Bubbles offer which was great value and included breakfast. The king bed was so comfortable and the room was spacious and nicely furnished. The addition of a Nespresso machine was a nice touch too. We were facing the harbour, which we had hoped for. Although it was a little noisy with the window open (as there was an all day concert) we still enjoyed the view and ambiance. Breakfast was very enjoyable with efficient, slick service and friendly smiles. All in all a great stay, thank you.

Room Tip: A higher floor will get a better view
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your amazing 5 star review!

I am delighted you have had an overall great stay and thank you for choosing The Bristol Hotel to celebrate your special day. The bubbles and berries package is the perfect way to celebrate an occasion or a great treat for a weekend away.

A belated ‘Happy birthday’ and I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back with us soon.

North Yorkshire
Reviewed 13 June 2014

My husband and I stayed in room 428 and our two adult sons in room 426 from Thursday 5th June to Monday 9th June. The hotel has an excellent location right in the heart of the city center over looking the water front. If you are going to the Hippodrome or Colston Hall then this hotel is a stone's throw away. The hotel has excellent free parking which is why we stayed there the car park is right next door. The rooms were really good and spotlessly clean housekeeping and cleaners at this hotel must work so hard because it is so lovely and clean. Our rooms were at the back of the hotel as we wanted this as they are nice and quiet and the rooms overlooking the water front have excellent views but can be a bit noisy at weekends. Our rooms were lovely and big but with the smallest bathroom I think I have ever been in we did struggle as the door opens up right onto the bath so you have to squeeze past. Cant understand why they did not make the bathrooms bigger given the size of the rooms. The other down point was there was no air con in our rooms we did have a fan but its not the same on hot days etc. There is a lack of drawers to put stuff away in plenty of hanging space but very few coat hangers had to keep asking for more, The beds are amazing lovely and comfy and with having a bad back a good bed is important so full marks for that from me. A big plus point for me is that each room has a proper hairdryer a good one at that and an iron and ironing board. The staff are very friendly and helpful and the breakfast was fab really good every day even when it was really busy again full marks for that. So all in all I would stay here again and would recommend.

Room Tip: Rooms 426 and 428 are at back/middle of hotel so are quiet lovely and big but with really small bath...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank MelNorthYorkshire
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful and comprehensive review,

I am delighted to read that you had an overall great stay and that you experienced the warmth and friendliness of our team. It great to hear that our customer service ethos transcends to the guest experiences – even during busy times.

I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you and your family back with us again soon.

Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 June 2014

We stayed at the hotel after visiting Grillstock festival in Bristol and we cant really fault it.

The room was lovely, comfortable bed, and breakfast was really good too. Shame they don't incorporate the price of the breakfast with the room, that would make life a lot easier!!

Tea and coffee facilities were good, including the espresso maker!
All the staff very attentive, and evening meal we had was lovely too!!
Already booked our next date for the Harbour festival!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Andy G
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your review.

I am delighted to read that you had a great stay with us. We are in the perfect location for many of the festivals throughout the summer being only a 3 minute walk across the river.

I am pleased you will be back with us for the upcoming Harbour festival which we are also very much looking forward to as well – be sure to pop along to our Shore Bar over Harbour Festival to enjoy our fantastic Hog Roast & Barbeque!

We are looking forward to having you back with us in July.

Weston-super-Mare, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Stayed here with my husband celebrating a birthday with friends, fantastic base for enjoying the night life around Bristol lovely harbour side. Could not fault the hotel, lovely service, free parking, clean and spacious room. Contemporary style, and the breakfast was gorgeous.

Would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ash1-10
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your amazing 5 star review!

I am delighted to read that you have had an overall ‘fantastic’ stay with us. I do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back on your next Bristol trip.

Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 June 2014

This was my fourth visit to the bristol. While the first three occasions were exceptional, this was very disappointing. Primarily the problem was the room. A small corner room with stained bedding and deep embedded stains on the floor. It has certainly made me question a fifth path visit.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback; it is incredibly important to me and my team and crucial as we look to continually improve our service and facilities for our guests.

I am so sorry to hear of your disappointing recent stay however I am delighted that you have stayed with us previously and you know that this is not our usual high standard we strive to deliver.

Please do get in touch with me, I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to restore your faith in The Bristol Hotel.