“Great place to stay” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
Fareham, England, United Kingdom
“Great place to stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

Great place to stay. We did have a deluxe room on 6th floor. Very comfortable. Great Nespresso coffee. Breakfast very good although would have liked a little more choice on offer for vegetarians at the Grille in the evening. With so many restaurants available in Bristol I would opt yo eat out rather than in.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Gareth B, Director of Operations at The Bristol, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us,

I am pleased to read that you had an overall great stay with us; we do change our menu’s seasonally and our Executive Head Chef will certainly take your comments on board when designing the next menu.

In the meantime, I hope we will see you with us again soon.

Director of Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (871)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Leicestershire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

Had a really good weekend treat here. Central location with easy access to Bristol city centre and the waterfront. Good selection of nearby bars and short walk to the river ferry if you want to explore a bit further. Evening meal in the restaurant was very good and the staff took the time to make sure we had a relaxed night.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sam A
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review.

I am delighted to read that you had a great weekend break. Its great to read that you also discovered our fantastic River Grille Restaurant – great food, great service and panoramic views is a great way to start the weekend with us.

I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you both back with us soon.

Great Missenden, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a night on business this summer. Great location, just by the dockside and stylish vaguely art deco furnished rooms. However I think the staff were exceptional and it was them who made my stay. Courteous, confident and stylish, they seemed from a different era. I understand this hotel is privately owned which probably accounts for it - maybe they have some eccentric staff training course from 1940. Whatever - it works. I loved it. It's always enjoyable to be in the hands of real professional - whether that's a builder, hairdresser, doctor or in this case hotel staff. I had supper there and food was, again, quirky and very accomplished. All in all a genuinely interesting, fun place - I'll be back - next time for leisure.

Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Lora20
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your amazing 5 star review!

It is truly wonderful to receive such personal feedback. I am delighted to read that my team were able to make such an impression on your business trip to Bristol. We do aim to make business a pleasure.

The team and I are looking forward to welcoming you back on a leisure basis soon.

London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

Work means regular overnight stays in Bristol. I often choose The Bristol as it is well located, comfortable and usually impressive.

Tonight, not impressed. I dined in the dining room where I ordered a medium-rare rib-eye steak. The steak that arrived was exceptionally fatty and definitely had not seen enough heat to warrant "medium rare" status. I mentioned it to the waitress but communication difficulties meant I was wasting my time.

One of the two lifts is out of order. Of course, lifts break, but another guest told me it had occurred somewhat earlier and therefore should have been fixed by now.

This hotel pushes its 'complimentary wifi' but the connection speed is utterly abysmal. If you plan to do any meaningful work - forget it.

I am likely to reconsider in future on the basis of today's performance.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank DulwichEd
Gareth B, Director of Operations at The Bristol, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback; it is incredibly important to me and my team and crucial as we look to continually improve our service and facilities for our guests.

I am so sorry to hear of your disappointment; however, I am delighted to read that you are a regular guest with us, which is somewhat reassuring as you know our usual standards which you mentioned are usually comfortable and impressive.

Thank you for your custom so far; we greatly appreciate it.

Ringwood, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

Nothing much wrong with the hotel or the service, and the location is excellent. I didn't give it 5* a) because there wasn't a kettle in the room - we like tea first thing in the morning, but there was only a coffee maker, b) the restaurant wasn't quite big enough for the 8-8.30 breakfast rush - it felt cramped and some people were waiting for a while before being seated.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at The Bristol Hotel.

I am delighted to read that largely you had a great time with us. All of our rooms do have tea trays which are stored within the desk cupboards, however, thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful review with the online travel community.

We are looking forward to having you back with us soon.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here in January 2014 for a weekend, took my boyfriend away as a late Christmas present. Booked one night through Expedia and one night directly through the hotel. Paid to be "upgraded" thru Expedia and chose to pay and stay as part of there "suite treats" package on the second. It really is a hidden gem and the staff were absolutely wonderful (especially after we had managed to flood the bathroom). My only qualm was the size of the room, was fairly small considering the price, I thought we had paid more to be in a more luxurious room and from walking through on departure we could see we were in a fairly small room, with a rather short bed. But like I said could not fault the staff, they were polite very attentive and offered us umbrellas in the rain. The free NCP parking also a plus. I would stay again but would ensure I had a more substantial room.

P.s the piano player at breakfast was a lovely touch!

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ellie P
Gareth B, Director of Operations at The Bristol, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for such a great review and for sharing your experience with others.

I am delighted that you commented so positively on both the friendliness of the staff - it is great to read that our service ethos transcends clearly to our guest experiences

I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back with us soon.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

You really couldn't ask for a better location for visiting Bristol - the hotel is in a great part of town and is within walking distance to all the major landmarks. The building itself is quite nondescript from the outside, but the interior is lovely - very modern and clean, with some great decorative touches, and none of that chain-hotel blandness. I arrived in Bristol around midday and dropped into the hotel to see if I could leave my luggage there until check-in, and the reception staff informed me that the room was ready and I could check in straight away, which was fantastic. All the staff I encountered were friendly, helpful, efficient, and professional.

The room itself was excellent - spotlessly clean, very comfortable bed with lovely linen, nice bathroom (great water pressure in the shower, too). If you fancy sleeping in, you definitely don't need to worry about the sun waking you up - the curtains are great.

The gym on the 4th floor is excellent too - there's a good range of equipment, and it's all in great condition.

Make sure you try the complimentary homemade lemonade in the lobby - it's delicious!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank PropMonkey
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your phenomenal 5 star review!
I am delighted to read that you really enjoyed the little touches we create to achieve a sense of memorable luxury that defines us as here the Doyle Collection. Its always great to hear that the team impressed and such great feedback is a great motivation for us all.

I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back with us again soon.