“Well situated and lovely dining room. But phew its hot.”
Review of The Bristol

The Bristol
Ranked #3 of 39 Hotels in Bristol
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 13 July 2014

The Bristol is really central and if you drive you will get free parking. It's really busy and this can mean you wont get to eat breakfast in the lovely dining room opposite the river. Tell them you are preapred to wait for a table or you will end up in a dark travellodge type room that is facing the main road. The lounge area is a nice place to sit and meet friends.
Rooms vary in size and what they look out onto. some have a terible aspect of that you wont want to be looking at when you draw your curtains. All are really hot and stuffy and noisy. Many dont have air con. Ours did but we had to leave it on 24 hours to keep the temperature down to acceptable as we faced west onto the river. Noise comes from the busy night life or from the road depending which way you face. Also thin walls!
Others in my group had rooms with no air con at all. It also blasts out an air freshener every couple of hours which after a while is cloying and unpleasant. You cant turn it off. Beds were comfy and linen good. Rooms got cleaned really very late, ie after 1 pm so returning after a morning out and wanting to lie down the room was still messy and bed un made. Not enough hooks for towels etc in the bathroom. Otherrwise good hot water and shower and spacious enough.

Room Tip: make sure it has air con that works and overlooks the river.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Gareth B, Director of Operations at The Bristol, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Firstly; thank you for your review and for choosing to stay stay with us. I am thrilled that you had an overall enjoyable stay with us and that you enjoyed visiting Bristol. I am also glad to hear that you took advantage of our free car parking. Whilst I appreciate your feedback regarding the issues you experienced during your stay I wanted to let you know that we are working on a project to have air conditioning in every room. I agree that our River Grille is such a beautiful setting to have your breakfast looking out into the Harbour however we so open up an additional breakfast room on the weekends to save anyone having to wait for a table, this way you can relax and have an even more peaceful breakfast. Once again I would like to thank you for your very detailed review.

The Bristol Hotel

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Great hotel with very helpful staff. Great comfortable room but the bathroom. Very large and clean. However nowhere to hang towels after use, hideous shower curtains allowing water to go everywhere and nowhere in the large shower recess to hold soap, lotions, shampoo etc :-(. Very disappointing

Stayed: July 2014
Gareth B, Director of Operatations at The Bristol, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Dear Guest,

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and that the team were able to enhance your stay. Thank you for your feedback; it is incredibly important to me and my team and crucial as we look to continually improve our service and facilities for our guests.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Bristol very soon.

The Bristol Hotel

Reviewed 11 July 2014

Great hotel, staff friendly and very helpful. Location excellent. Lovely room with the most comfortable bed we have slept in. Dining views were great overlooking the canal. Walking distance to the city shopping area and the train station.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Gareth B, Director of Operations at The Bristol, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful 5 star review.

It is a pleasure to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and your time in Bristol. I am delighted you discovered our fabulous River Grille Restaurant; where I totally agree with you, the panoramic views are a huge bonus.

Being only a 15 minute walk to the train station, and with a complimentary car park adjacent, we are really easy to get to for a relaxed city break.

I look forward to welcoming you back with us soon.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

Excellent hotel . We had a super room overlooking the harbourside, very large and well appointed room . The only down side was the bathroom which was TINY... so small you couldn't walk out of the bathroom without knocking the loo roll off the holder ( suggestion to hotel if you turn the holder the other way round this wouldn't happen) And the door latch plate kept falling off and needed to be screwed on. Otherwise a lovely hotel for a mini break and do eat in the River Grille restaurant ...wonderful food and staff

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank JAC3
Gareth B, Director of Operations at The Bristol, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Dear Guest,

I am delighted that overall you had a great experience with us and I am thrilled you has the opportunity to dine in our panoramic River Grille Restaurant.

I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back with us soon.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

The hotel is based in the city centre, with many bars and restaurants in the area and easy access to many of the tourist sites.
Inside the hotel is very smart, and the staff are friendly and helpful.
My room was clean and smart, the decor and bed linen was to a high standard.
I didn't eat in the restaurant but it looked good.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room away from the harbourside bars/restaurants
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Rob_Tuppen

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your amazing 5 star review.

I am elated to read that not only did you enjoy the hotel, but our fabulous city centre harbourside location. I hope on your next visit we can tempt you to try our fantastic river Grill e Restaurant – Launching our new summer A La Carte Menu tomorrow.

I look forward to welcoming you back with us soon.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

This is the first negative review I have ever posted.

I booked this hotel about 6 weeks before I was due to stay and paid in advance. I got a phone call a week later saying I could not now have the room at the rate I booked and they were cancelling my reservation. They refunded the money a few days later, but of course less than I paid after bank charges.

I booked again at a 70% higher price. Two days before I was due to stay I got a phone call saying 'Our fault but we don't have a room for you now'. Seriously. They offered alternative accommodation that (understandably, I think) I chose not to take up. I then got hassling phone calls on Saturday night asking where I was and why hadn't I checked in? I was speaking to a receptionist with her manager in the background who didn't have the cahones to come to the phone him or her self.

No offer of a proper apology, compensation or anything. Pitiful.

6  Thank Mark C

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your feedback; it is incredibly important to me and my team and crucial as we look to continually improve our service.

It appears you were contact by the agent you had made your initial reservation with and not by us directly.

I am sorry for any confusion and I am disappointed you did not get an opportunity to experience the Bristol Hotel. Nevertheless I hope you enjoyed your recent visit to Bristol.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

This is a great hotel to visit Bristol with, lovely staff and affordable luxury.

This was our second stay at the bristol hotel, the room was a smaller superior double, we treated ourselves to the deluxe last time and it was spacious with a few nice extras such as coffee machine and robes. The superior still had a comfy bed and all we needed for a lovely stay.

Staff are very friendly, including house keeping. Breakfast was a generous selection of food, and the waiters were very helpful with ant requests.

Car parking was free in the adjacent ncp high rise, which is a huge bonus in Bristol as parking is generally not cheap or simple to find!

Overall, we were very happy with our short stay and look forward to coming back.

2  Thank Neville P

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful review and indeed your valued custom.

I am delighted to read that you have had another great stay with us, it’s particularly great that you have experienced the warmth and friendliness of our team.

The adjacent NCP car park is fantastic and we are pleased we are able to offer this complimentary for our overnight guests