“Review of stay 27-28 July 2014”
Review of The Bristol

The Bristol
Ranked #3 of 38 Hotels in Bristol
GreenLeadersGold level
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Review of stay 27-28 July 2014”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We booked the hotel for a weekend stay. We upgraded to a superior double room. I use a lot of hotels on business so I have a good idea of room quality. In summary the weekend was spoilt due to the room and the entire floor being so hot it was impossible to use.
I'll be as fair as I can and summarise staff and location etc.
Booking and checking in- very easy booking process. Checking in was simple. Staff were great. I'll give that a 10/10
Location- can't fault that. Right on the edge of the docks and perfect. I'll give that a 10/10 too.
Noise - the hotel is right next to all the bars along the docks so there is a lot of noise. The double glazing could not keep the noise out. We were on the 6th floor so we only had outside noise. Others in my party on lower floors said it was very loud. I'll give it a 5/10 for peaceful nights sleep.
Breakfast - faintly average. Staff vey helpful but very busy.the full English was fine with a decent choice. If you wanted a continental breakfast then I would put it on the lower end of what I am used to. I'll give that 5/10 too
Staff - I found them very helpful, especially at reception and at breakfast. 8/10
Bedrooms - fairly standard interior. Clean and with a good coffee machine. The problem was that the whole floor. From the moment one gets out of the room was ridiculously hot. Not warm but hot. The bedrooms were boiling. Our room claimed to have air con but it was primitive compared to other hotels of a similar price. Opening the window made little difference and simply let in loud music from the bars below. I sakes the staff about this and it is a known problem. The higher up the worse it gets. Others in my party did not even have air con but did have a fan in the room. What a shame. It was impossible to sleep did spoil the whole weekend because we were left tired and agitated. I do appreciate that we are in a bit of a heat wave this is clearly a known problem. Others in my group who stopped at other hotels had air con that worked so the heat is no excuse. The staff also confirmed it is a real problem in the summer. I am going to have to give it 1/10 for that.
In summary this is a hotel in a great location but I would not stay here agin in the summer. I would rather walk to the dock area than sleep in a hotel room so hot it is ridiculous. What has annoyed me is that the hotel who know of these issues do not tell people about it. Not surprising from a commercial point of view but morally wrong.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the higher floors in summer unless you like it very very hot
Green Features: If they have one I could not see any evidence of it other than the policy re towels
1 Thank Steve T
Gareth B, Director of Operations at The Bristol, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Firstly I would like to thank you for taking the time to complete a Tripadvisor review regarding your stay with us. I was very disappointed to hear about the issues that you experienced.

I would very much appreciate if you could contact me directly on gareth_byrne@doylecollection.com and give me more details (room number and name) so that I can look into the matter and remedy what issues may have arisen during your stay. Standards of service are the hallmark of our business and clearly in this instance we did not deliver

I would like to assure you that we welcome your feedback and as we are a learning organisation we appreciate all feedback and find it very valuable in moving forward and improving the service that we provide to our guests

Once again I would like to apologise on behalf of the hotel and thank you for making us aware of the issues that you experienced.

The Bristol Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (895)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Bristol
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We stayed at a The Bristol Hotel for one night and were very impressed by the service, the quality and the friendliness of staff. The hotel car park is right next door and completely free, which is rare for a city centre hotel. We were given a complimentary upgrade on arrival, our room was; fresh, large and well equipped. Only negatives were there was no mini- bar or air conditioning, which made the room quite uncomfortable as it was so hot! The breakfast was good and newspapers were free. I would definitely recommend this hotel for a city break in Bristol

2 Thank Belinda G
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to give us such a valuable rating and I am delighted we were able to provide you with complimentary car parking and a complimentary upgrade.

We do aim to deliver a personal, memorable experiences and it is great to read that you were impressed by our service.

Conversely, we don’t have mini-bars in our rooms with the exception of our Executive Suite. Moreover, we do have air-conditioning in some of our rooms and would be more than happy to allocate you one during your next visit.

In the meantime I look forward to welcoming you back to The Bristol Hotel soon – perhaps next time you could book directly with us at the hotel to avail of more great rates and packages available.

Porth
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Stayed in the Bristol Hotel for the first time. Have stayed in the Radison Blu previously. Would certainly stay in ther Bristol Hotel again for the location is perfect, the River Grill Restaurant is a beautiful setting. The hotel is reasonably priced and staff were all respectful and courteous. Had a wonderful weekend in the city.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends

2 Thank Rosemarie C
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your wonderful 5 star review!

I am delighted you experienced our teams warm and friendly service throughout the hotel.

We do endeavour to create a personal and memorable stay and I am glad our staff has been able to convey this part of our culture.

I do look forward to welcoming you back with us in the near future.
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Staff are friendly and attentive and the hotel is in a great location with free onsite parking. Room on the 6th floor (with a/c) was a reasonable size, with an excellent queen size bed and good bathroom. However, as with one of our previous stays, we experienced a very hot and disturbed nights 'sleep'. Basically, the aircon in the room was either not working or was ineffective. We set this at 16c on arrival at 2.30pm but the room did not cool down and was too hot during our entire stay. It was a hot day/night, but a properly working aircon should have cooled the room. We found that switching the control between 'fan only' and then 'auto a/c' or just 'a/c' made no difference to the air temperature or air flow coming from the a/c unit - it was slow and just felt like it was circulating the air in the room rather than cooling it. Reported to reception before breakfast, but the problem had not been resolved by the time we checked out 3 hours later. We experienced a similar problem during our last stay. It seems that 'hot' rooms come up quite a lot in reviews of this hotel, which is a real shame because everything else is good.

1 Thank Review620
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback; it is incredibly important to me and my team and crucial as we look to continually improve our service and facilities for our guests.

I am so sorry to hear of your few disappointments with your stay; however I am pleased to read that my team delivered great service and that you both had an overall enjoyable stay.
I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back with us soon.

Bushey
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Very good facilities, reasonable prices and exceptionally helpful staff. The restaurant provides a really good meal at a high standard of service. Our only complaint was that the air conditioning was adequate so we were really hot, but then it was the hottest time of the year.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for your review of The Bristol Hotel,

I am delighted to read that overall you enjoyed your stay with us. I am disappointed to see that your air-conditioning was not working to it’s fullest potential. We would have been delighted to arrange a more suitable room had you brought this to our attention.

Hopefully this will not deter you from trying us again. Please do contact me directly – I would be delighted to personally look after you for any future bookings to ensure we can deliver on both product and service.

Cardiff Wales
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Such a shame but stay in this hotel spoilt by lack of air conditioning, no bottled water in the room (though offered a bottle on check-OUT!) and wi-fi that drops every few minutes.

Service friendly, room spotless and comfy, excellent breakfast and great location but will definitely not recommend or go back.

The comment form the hotel that air con and water are available in Deluxe but not Superior rooms made things worse! Being offered water at Check-in would have helped or clear offer on booking would have been even better.

Tempted to use this reply in Customer Service lectures as an example of what NOT to do:
"In relation to the fridges, we only supply them by request only and are more than happy to arrange these in advance for our guests. Whilst, air-conditioning is not provided in our Double Superior bedrooms it is provided in our Deluxe bedrooms. Moreover, we do provide fans in these bedrooms to facilitate our guests needs. Drinking water is available upon request via Room Service and it is an amenity we provide with our Deluxe Upgrade."

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Gareth B, Director of Operations at The Bristol, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Firstly I would like to thank you for taking the time to complete a Tripadvisor review regarding your stay with us. I was very disappointed to hear about the issues that you experienced as this is far from our usual standards as you can see on Tripadvisor.

I look forward to your response so that I can regain your confidence in our hotel.

Aylesbury
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

I find writing this review quite difficult to write as some aspects of this hotel are good. As stated in other reviews, the hotel is in the heart of the city, close to the attractions, bars and restaurants with free parking. We were given a superior room on the 4th floor on the front of the hotel which was a good sized room but as mentioned in other reviews, the bathroom is very small for the size of the room. The room was well furnished and very clean but had no air conditioning and no fridge, which I found odd for a superior room in 2014. I can't remember ever staying in a hotel without either of these facilities. Given the extremely hot weather of the last few weeks both are a necessity rather than a luxury.

The good location and pleasant decor however can't make up for the excessive heat and noise in this room. We've booked for three nights and I'm writing this review at 6.30 am on Sunday morning as I was woken at 6 by an industrial window cleaning operation taking place on the building opposite. The generator and noise of his cabin hydraulically moving up and down is enough to wake the dead! Not that I've had much sleep, the room has secondary glazing and we can't close the windows because there's no air con only a small desk fan and it's like trying to sleep on the M25. The traffic is endless, as is the noise from the revellers outside all of which I expect in a city but this is normally shut out by double glazing and the air con would be on but that's not happening here. Add to that the hen do's staggering back and slamming doors, all add up to very little sleep. When I have managed to sleep I've woken up drenched in sweat and shattered. We've slept on top of the bed each night with no covers and it's been unbearable. As we're here to sight see we've found the lack of sleep a bit of a hinderance as we're flagging by four. A bit of a spoiler really.

Last night we couldn't get in to the room as the key card wouldn't work so I had to go back to reception and he swiped the card and returned it and told me to ring if I couldn't get in which I couldn't so someone came to try and fix it. The new card wouldn't work either so hr had to dismantle the lock and I'll have to make another trip to reception this morning.

We haven't tried the hotel breakfast, partly due to a mistake on my part as I thought it was included when I booked but it's room only and I wasn't keen to spend an extra £9 each on breakfast but also we've just wanted to get dressed and get out as quickly as possible to escape the heat. There's plenty of pubs offering a full English nearby for a third of the price of the hotel so that's the option we've gone for.

I've read on here that rooms on the 6th floor are quieter with air con, I'm not sure why all rooms aren't like this but I would ask for one of them if you are staying on the summer months.

Stayed July 2014
Dear Guest,

Whilst I am terribly disappointed to read your review, I am still thankful for your feedback and can assure you we take your comments incredibly seriously.

With regards to the air-conditioning and fridge – we do have rooms available with air-conditioning and we provide fridges upon request.

I am so sorry to hear of your disappointment with your room and the noise you experienced which impeded your stay with us. I would welcome the opportunity to discuss all our room options if you would consider us again in future, with over 3 room categories ranging from
superior to suite I am very confident we can find a room that will be perfect for you in the future.

Please feel free to reach out to me personally.

Gareth_byrne@doylecollection.com