“Very Handy for Town, But Some Noise & Small Room”
Review of The Bristol

The Bristol
Ranked #3 of 39 Hotels in Bristol
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Stayed on a Saturday night in mid-August for a wedding and got a fairly good price through a booking agent as we booked a long time in advance.

Firstly, one of the major plus points of the hotel is its location - a really short stroll from the harbourside, Bristol Old Vic and numerous restaurants and venues. Unfortunately, as Bristol is a city that hardly ever sleeps the nightlife impinged on our stay as even with the windows closed the live music carrying across from one of the nearby venues made it hard to sleep until they finally packed up at around 4am. I think the noise affected different rooms differently as other people in our party who were on higher floors (we were on the 4th) didn't hear anything. We complained but unfortunately the hotel was full so they weren't able to move us however as we hadn't been warned about the noise they did agree to a goodwill gesture, which was gratefully received. The decor in the public areas and the room itself was very nice, however the room and bathroom were a little on the small side. We're fairly average-sized adults but I think anyone over 15 stone would struggle using the loo as it's wedged into a small space. I took out the sanitary towel bag dispenser with my elbow whilst sat on the loo. The bathroom ceiling could also use another lick of paint as starting to get tired. It's more than fine for a short stay but you'd want one of their larger rooms if you were staying longer, or are fuller-figured. The bed was comfy enough and plenty of lights for reading, the complimentary toiletries were good and although we missed breakfast by sleeping in late, we were advised by the rest of the party that it was superb. Lastly, I know other reviewers have pointed this out but the fact the hotel has a large car park attached to it is really handy - just don't forget to get them to validate your ticket at reception. So all in all, I would recommend however I'd give Floor 4 a wide berth on the weekend unless you're a raver or a heavy sleeper.

Room Tip: Try and get a room on a higher floor such as 6 if you can.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kultofkylie
Gareth B, Director of Operations at The Bristol, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for review. It is wonderful to see that you took advantage of our location and our complimentary car park.

I am so sorry to hear of your disappointment with your room size and the noise you experienced during your stay with us. All of our rooms are unique & some of our entry level superior rooms unfortunately are smaller in size and can tend to me more geared towards single business travellers.

I would welcome the opportunity to discuss all our room options if you would consider us again in future, with your preferences in mind I am very confident we can find a room that will be perfect for you in terms of space and value so please do reach out to me personally to assist with your next Bristol trip.

I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Bristol Hotel in the future.

Gareth_byrne@doylecollection.com

There are newer reviews for The Bristol

Reviewed 19 August 2014

Stayed for one night with friends. Fabulous location and really nice hotel. Hotel drinks very expensive. I am not a skin flint by any means but find £40 for an average bottle of prosecco a bit over the top. Rooms very nice and décor excellent throughout the hotel. Staff very friendly. Extra bonus is the car parking in the NCP car park which leads directly into the hotel and included in price.

Breakfast in morning - nice but nothing to write home about. Lovely view from restaurant though.

Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank welshsunlover

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review.

I am delighted to read that your stay with us was enjoyable, overall. Thank you for your feedback, we appreciate this a learning company.

Moreover, I look forward to welcoming you back to The Bristol Hotel.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

This hotel had been booked for a wedding party to stay in while attending a local wedding. It was excellent in every regard and the car park being integral to the hotel was a bonus. I was very satisfied with the hotel and the price.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank ColchesterSir

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at The Bristol Hotel.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your experience with us. I am also thrilled to see that you have given us a 5 star review!

We are looking forward to your return visit to Bristol and to welcome you back with us.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

The Bristol Hotel is well placed to visit Bristol and enjoy the waterfront. With beautiful decor and excellent service this really is a lovely place to stay.

They offer free parking in the adjacent NCP car park which is a bonus, as you can park your car and leave it for the afternoon or overnight at no additional charge.

The rooms are spacious and comfortable. A hotel I will definitely stay at again in the future!

Room Tip: Request a room overlooking the Harbour area
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Carol M

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the amazing 5 star review!

I am delighted that you had a great time with us. It’s pleasing to read that you have enjoyed the our complimentary car parking and our spacious bedrooms.

I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Bristol Hotel soon.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

We have stayed at The Bristol before and knew it was in a fantastic location. We asked for a quiet room as last time our room overlooked the harbour and was a little noisy.

This time our superior room on the 5th floor overlooked the courtyard and was excellent, so peaceful and quiet it was hard to believe we were within a few minutes walk of the busy harbour.

The hotel was spotless, wonderfully decorated and a lovely place to relax in. All the staff we spoke to were friendly and efficient.

Our bathroom was a little on the small side, however it did have a bath rather than just a shower, again spotless with complimentary toiletries.

Breakfast was included in our stay and again I couldnt fault it, lots of choice, full english, cereals, fresh fruit, pastries etc.

Finally on checking out we were given our parking pass and without even having to ask we were told we could enjoy more time in Bristol that day and leave when we were ready, what more could you ask for. We will definitely be back to stay again!

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for a quiet room if you want to be sure of avoiding late night noise from bars on t...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Nicola S

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your wonderful 5 star review!

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and that your room was peaceful and quiet.

We do endeavour to create a personal and memorable stay and I am glad our staff has been able to convey this part of our culture.

I do look forward to welcoming you back with us in the near future.

Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed 1 night for an anniversary. Had a deluxe room over looking harbour which was spacious, clean and decorated perfectly. Room service breakfast was of good quality, lots and fresh. The car park beside is perfect and free! Will be returning again

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Catfitzsimons1

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the review and for sharing your experiences with the travel community. May I also congratulate you on your Anniversary!

The hotel does boast a phenomenal location harbourside in the city centre - I am delighted this had such a positive impact on your stay with us - as did your experience with our Room service breakfast.

I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back with us soon.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

We stayed for one night for a friends birthday. I could not recommend this hotel enough. The staff are fantastic, nothing too much trouble, the rooms are spotlessly clean and well furnished. Central for the pubs and restaurants and shopping! Would definitely stay here again without a second thought for looking for anywhere else.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Gareth B, Director of Operations at The Bristol, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at The Bristol Hotel and for the 5 star review.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your experience with us. I am also thrilled to see my team delivered during your stay with us.