“Terrible hotel”

The Bristol
Ranked #3 of 39 Hotels in Bristol
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 22 October 2009

This hotel is unbelievably noisy.

Extractor fans stuck on, poor sound proofing, heating broken. What a joke.

Not to mention the incorrect prior authorisation of £600 locked onto my credit card limit that prevented me from making other purchases. Thanks a lot Bristol Hotel.

I would never ever stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business

Reviewed 20 October 2009

This is a great hotel with excellent rooms with wonderful decor and facilities.

We didnt eat breakfast in the hotel, as it was a little expensive but we enjoyed breakfast in the floating harbour on a boat!

The room overlooked the harbour, which was a little noisy on a saturday night but it was worth it, the view and the extra facilites, including wet room and krups coffee machine were excellent high quality touches, the rooms are small but very functional with high quality furniture and TV's.

Our only complaint was that the wet room, became a wet bathroom with approx 3 inches of water all weekend lapping at the bedroom carpet! I think the plumbing out let could not cope with the power from the shower, the water just had no where to go!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rosebud1144
Reviewed 12 October 2009

I had great expectations from the hotel but what we got was an overpriced small box. The website is doing a fantastic job of getting you there but not even the room was clean.

There is good links from the carpark direct to the hotel but as people are leaving all hours of the day you never get any sleep as the doors are constantly banging.

The staff are really pleasant and very helpful but this is the only plus point.

We got a reduced rate but even this was too expensive. I expected more from a chain hotel.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
manager_bristol, Bristol Manager at The Bristol, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2009

On behalf of The Bristol Hotel I would like to thank you for your valuable feedback it has been most welcome, as it is only through this that we have the opportunity to correct where and when we fall down, thus ensuring we remain consistent in our service delivery

Please feel free to contact us personally should your travels lead you to Bristol again.

Reviewed 9 October 2009

I stayed for two nights mid week as part of a work conference. I was allocated a room on the first floor. My initial impression was very good. very large comfortable room, furnished to a high standard. I was impressed.

The outside looked like an NCP car park, but the view from the breakfast/dining area was impressive overlooking the river. All went well until I returned to my room late afternoon to relax and then to get ready for the evening. One of the windows had been opened and it was freezing (it had rained hard all day). The radiotor was off and I couldn't work out how to switch it on. I ended up sitting in bed with the covers pulled up to my neck. When I returned at midnight the room was even colder. Colleagues told me the heater switch was on the wall, but I couldn't see it. I asked reception if they could locate it for me but instead they supplied me with a small heater which didn't make any difference because the room was so large. A cold night.

The second evening, Thursday, I returned at midnight to lots of noise outside. I
soon realised that a nightclub was located opposite and lots of people were entering. A fire alarm which went off for over an hour from somewhere in the area which was followed by lots of people leaving the nightclub which lasted from 2pm till 4.30pm. The climax inlcuded a fight between a few men (lads really) with the women screaming at the top of their voices. They tried to get access to a taxi but each time refused which led to shouts, swearing, and attacks on the taxi. It finally calmed down at 5am and I'd had no sleep.

The next morning after discussions with colleagues I realised i had been unlucky to have been located on the first floor with a window on the main road as those located on the 6th floor had not been disturbed. Further assessment on trip advisor (after my return) confirmed my suspicion that I had no heating!

Beware which room you are allocated!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 October 2009

The rooms here are of variable size and quality. Mine on the first floor was very small with no heating while a friend got a large room with a thermostat so that they could adjust the heating and yet we'd both paid the same price. I asked at reception how to turn on the heating and was told there was none and they gave me a portable heater. Not really satisfactory. I'd recommend the hotel but suggest people be specific about their requirements.

• Stayed: October 2009
Reviewed 7 October 2009

Wew went there in September 2009 to sing at Keynsham with Mendip MVC.

85 of us stopped here and not a bad word amongst us. The rooms were clean and welcoming with modern amenities and internet access.

Staff were very helpful and professional and when we altered certain times for meals etc they were resolved immediately without fuss.The General Mamager met us on first night and gave a welcome "speech"

We would recommend this hotel for large groups as the staff made us feel so welcome . The position is great for harbourside cafes and shopping although the nightclubs were a little noisy on Friday and Saturday nights but this was soon overcome by closing the double glazed windows!!

We would certainly use this hotel again.

Chris Hitchings Launceston Male Voice Choir

• Stayed: September 2006
Reviewed 27 September 2009

I chose this hotel for a Birthday treat for my wife. We wanted a hotel in the city centre of Bristol as we were doing some shopping and wanted to go out in the evening. We were delighted with our choice as the hotel was professionally run and the staff were all very polite and helpful. Special mention to our house keeper - thanks.
The Hotel is not much to look at from the outside but it is the inside that counts and the interior is very stylish. The room was on the sixth floor giving great views over Bristol quay side and the Cathedral. The room’s facilities were good but typical with TV / Freeview / Sky 1 & 2, coffee maker and kettle. There was the possibility of connecting things up to a media centre however as we did not bring a lap top, DVD player, playstation etc we could not use this.
Other things about this hotel that are worth mentioning are the breakfast – very good and the live music in the bar on the Saturday evening. The location is great but as it was so close to the ‘action’ on the quay side it was a little noisy late at night. The beds were very comfortable and the blackout curtains meant you could sleep in and not be woken by the early morning light.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple