“Perfect Location! Perfect Hotel!”
Review of The Bristol

The Bristol
Ranked #3 of 39 Hotels in Bristol
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 15 February 2010

The nightlife across the water can be quite loud at times -especially on Friday and Saturday nights, but with the windows closed and the FAN UNIT ON, I did not hear anything - and I was on the second floor (really 3 floors up counting the lobby) facing the footbridge. I would recommend bringing earplugs just in case. The views and the fresh air of the waterfront are well worth any noise that the nightlife contributes to. This hotel also has rooms facing a courtyard that will probably be much quieter but you would have to put up with views of other rooms.

The Bristol Hotel has complimentary internet access throughout. I used an ipod touch with wifi successfully in my room, lift, The River Grille (hotel restaurant) and lounge areas. The only place I had trouble with wifi was in the hallway, but as soon as I opened my door, I had access. Other hotels nearby (such as the Bristol Marriott Royal Hotel in college green) charge 15 pounds for one day of internet access. I also used the business center to print my boarding pass.

I stayed in a Deluxe room, an upgrade to the 'superior room,' which has Temple Spa toiletries (a very nice collection of lotion, shampoo, conditioner, and shower gel), an espresso coffee machine, and media hub. I did not use the media hub. My rate included breakfast and a 3-course Table D’Hote dinner. The breakfast was fantastic! Once seated you are asked if you would like toast and provided with several yummy jams. There were poached eggs, thick sliced bacon, hash browns, grilled tomatoes, bangers, cereal, fruit, and juices. For the 3-course Table D’Hote dinner, which varied each night, there were four choices for main course, four appetizers, and four desserts. Everything that I tried was great! I would advise making a reservation for breakfast and dinner if they are busy.

The location of this hotel is amazing! You are about a one minute walk to the Queen Square, about five minutes to the Cathedral and shops along Park Street. Only a minute to the Shakespeare Tavern and minutes from several other pubs along King Street. The St. Nicholas markets are also nearby. Just about anything you could want to see is within minutes of this hotel. I hiked to the Clifton Suspension Bridge in only 30 minutes from the hotel.

The staff were all great. I was even offered to look at the room I was to stay in by the front desk staff. I was escorted to the room, loved it and went back down the lift and checked in. The restaurant managers were very nice and the restaurant staff and servers were all very helpful and courteous. I would highly recommend this hotel despite all of the warnings of not getting a good nights sleep.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business

Reviewed 14 February 2010

We stayed at the Bristol Hotel on their valentines package in an executive room with dinner included. On arrival, we had to wait a while to check in. Whilst waiting we overheard a receptionist answer a phone. It was obvious the customer on the line was unhappy about the time it had taken for the call to be answered. The receptionist appologised explaining that they were very busy. We eventually checked in. After reading the reviews on this site I checked what room we'd been allocated. I asked for our allocated room overlooking the waterside to be changed to a room overlooking the road at the front due to the reported noise problem.

In fact, when we got to our room it was actually at the side of the hotel, but no matter. Our room rate was supposed to include mineral water in the room as well as dressing gowns. Neither were present, but we put this down to a late change of room. We then went out in Bristol for the afternoon but on the way out we planned to book a reservation time for the restaurant. Again there was a long queue at reception so we left.

On returning to the hotel later that afternoon there was still a long queue at reception, but this time we waited to book a table. When we were finally served we were told that the restaurant was very busy that evening and were offered a table at 1845. A romantic candle lit valentine's dinner at 1845? Not great! Anyway eventually we were offered a table at 2015 - much better!

The room was very nice. A big telly, lovely shower - plenty of hot water, free safe and iron and ironing board. Only problems were the bed was very very soft . Also when we got into bed that evening we noticed that the bed sheet and duvet were far too small for the bed! How can a four star hotel not have sheets and quilts big enough for their beds? There was air conditioning in the room but it was far from powerful - infact whist getting ready for our evening meal we resorted to opening the bedroom window as the room got so hot despite having the air-con on full blast at lowest temperature.

Food in the retaurant was ok. My starter of mushroom, stilton and walnut salad was full of flavour, but unfortunately also contained pieces of walnut shell - that's just lazy cooking. My main course was a very well cooked piece of lemon sole which was almost ruined by the accompanying overcooked rubbery shrimps. Our shared pudding looked like it had been prepared by a 5 year old! My wife's starter and main course were excellent. Only other criticism was that the tables were fairly packed in.

Overnight there was no noise at all from within the hotel - impressive considering there were obviously hen parties staying. From outside we could hear a low rumble coming from the bars across the quay but not enough to disturb our sleep and certainly nowhere near as annoying at not being able to tuck our bed sheet in!

Overall it was an OK stay but the hotel let itself down with a lack of attention to detail. Maybe this was because it was a busy night, but maybe there should either be more staff on duty or they should reduce the occupancy of the hotel.

My prediction for this hotel on this showing - it'll be a Travelodge before the end of the decade! It would be a shame as my wife and I have an affinity to this hotel. The reason we decided to spend Valentine's here is that we met at a function at the Hotel several years ago.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 January 2010

Good quality hotel ruined by poor sound proofing street noise is excessive in all rooms. Dustbin carts collecting from local offices at 6 am every morning. This is not a hotel if you enjoy sleep. The rooms are very nice and to a high standard. Food is ok but not exactly creative, and staff are pleasant in that sort of pompous old fashioned 4* way. On the whole I would not stay here again there are better at this standard in Bristol.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 January 2010

This hotel is situated on the quay side ,so if your room is on that side it can be quite noisy but the views over way that by far !!. Check-in was very effience and the staff were very friendly and proffesional.The hotel does have parking at a fee altho this is discounted at check-in.The only awkward thing was that we had to park up outside and go into the hotel for the parking pass before we could get into the multi-storey parking area.We didnt use our car once as the hotel is just a walk away from the city centre and most the bars,clubs and attractions,We didnt use the restaurant as Bristol was few mins walk away so alot of places to choose from.
The room was stunning ,the bathroom modern and spotless .
This hotel is a must stay if you are travelling to bristol completely made our weekend .

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Bristol5, General Manager at The Bristol, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2010

Dear Ickle-Linzi,

I wanted to let you know how much we appreciate your making the effort to share with us and the Tripadvisor viewers, your thoughts on your recent stay with us. Your comments are greatly appreciated and have been shared with all the team here.

All of us at The Bristol Hotel, are dedicated to providing our guests with a memorable experience, whilst enjoying the beautiful West country and the city of Bristol. We want you to leave thinking of when you are going to return.

Once again, my thanks for your comments and we look forward to seeing you back with us soon.

Kind regards,

Mark Roche-Garland

Reviewed 19 November 2009

Reading other reviews, i agree the outside is ugly but its something else inside. Stayed one night and first timer in merry old England! Really nice people here, really interactive at the desk, although it took a while with the queue. Room was great and the bed even better. Really liked the nespresso machine in the room, nice touch. Ate steak in the restaurant and really succulent and tasty and breakfast was really good and included in our rate. Expect to be back in January and will be back to stay.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 November 2009

Fantastic breakfast, agreeable staff BUT tiny room (4th floor), no bedside table or lamp. When I asked for one, it turned up, but on the floor - useless for reading! Very noisy, too hot. When checking out, I had to pay £10 more for the second night. This was not on my booking. The reason was "availability" which is on a sliding scale. The fuller the hotel, the higher the prices. I do not consider this honest.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 October 2009

This hotel is unbelievably noisy.

Extractor fans stuck on, poor sound proofing, heating broken. What a joke.

Not to mention the incorrect prior authorisation of £600 locked onto my credit card limit that prevented me from making other purchases. Thanks a lot Bristol Hotel.

I would never ever stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business