“quality b and b”

Ranked #9 of 52 Bristol B&B and Inns
southport
“quality b and b”
Reviewed 28 February 2014

When we first arrived at this B & B I wasn't too sure we had made the right choice. We had booked this on recommendation from the Endemol Studio where we were booked to watch two shows of Deal or No Deal. On arrival the area looks quite run down. There are quite a few eateries within walking distance and very near to the city centre, which is easily accessed by bus.
The B & B was very clean and provided a continental breakfast. The dining room was spotless and there was a good choice of juice, cereals, bread, fresh fruit and cold meats. Unfortunately we spent a very sleepless first night as the bed was very uncomfortable. I complained the next morning and asked for another room, they said they would see about changing the mattress. To give them their due when we arrived back from a very tiring day walking round Bristol we were told that a new memory foam mattress had been installed. Bliss. Not what we expected and we had a great night's sleep. Well done Malago. If you are looking for quality budget accommodation within easy access of the city centre we can recommend this b & b.

Room Tip: Choose room at the back which will be quieter and there is a main road at the front.
2 Thank SouthportRaws

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Gillingham, Kent
Reviewed 23 February 2014

We choose this B&B as it was recommended by the organisers of the, " Deal or No Deal", audience, (our reason for visiting). It is located in what appears to be a fairly run down area but is actually quite convenient to the centre of Bristol and seemed safe at night. Parking is behind the premises but difficult to negotiate due to lack of turning room.
We had a very hospitable welcome from the manageress but were disappointed to find that the room was quite shabby compared to the photos on the website. It was reasonably clean, though not spotless. Having dropped our luggage to go and explore Bristol, we arrived back at 11.30pm when our troubles started.
Closer inspection of our room revealed, no soap or shampoo except 1cm of hand wash soap in a plastic bottle. The towels were clean but very thin and needed replacing. We were on the 3rd floor and the Wi-Fi did not work on that level. The floor boards were VERY creaky and I felt sorry for whoever was below us.
The worst part of the stay was the mattress, where you could feel every spring and resulted in one of the worst night sleeps we have ever had, (and we are very well travelled). The bedding needed replacing and the pillows hard and old.
One of the major problems that I found with this B&B is that the owners do not live on the premises and therefore none of the problems that I had late at night, and then again in the morning, could be sorted.
My wife showered ok but I had just started to shower when the water failed completely, both hot and cold. My wife went down to get help but again, the only employee was the breakfast lady who a) spoke little English and b) Told my wife that she only had responsibility for breakfast and so couldn't help.
I had to dry myself, dress, go downstairs and insist that she gave me the owners telephone number. When I rang the manageress, she didn't understand the problem, saying to wait 10 minutes as probably other guests had used the water. Eventually I convinced her that it wasn't a question of no hot water, it was no water at all and she agreed to send a plumber. I asked for another room to shower in but had to wait till another guest had left but unfortunately the room was on the same floor and also had no water. (Apparently the pressure had failed to the top floor).

I had a very poor quality breakfast, everything seemed to be from supermarket" value" range, then had to leave for the studio. I could not shower or even wash.

One of the most irritating aspects of the whole debacle was the lack of customer care or customer satisfaction. I waited 4 days for the owners to contact me regarding the problems but in the end, I had to contact them myself. When asked why they had not rang to discuss the problems she told me that to her knowledge, I had eventually had a shower and therefore that was no need to ring me. This was completely erroneous and is another example of lack of communication between the temporary staff and the management.
Eventually she refunded me £20 as compensation for the missed shower but seemed uninterested in improving the woeful customer service. An instance of this is the lack of Wi-Fi which despite the website saying it was available throughout the hotel, the manageress admitted that it was not available on the 3rd floor but said that as it was free, she did not have any responsibility to supply it.
I will never stay in this establishment again.

Room Tip: If you MUST stay here, make sure you get a room at the back to help avoid the traffic noise. Even ou...
2 Thank MikeGillingham_Kent
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 February 2014

We had a business trip to Bristol and booked a room a good week or so in advance. We turned up at about 9.30pm, tired from a good 300 miles of travelling and ready to hit the hay only to be told they had overbooked and cancelled our room. When we asked why we had had no phone call they said they had text us. Turned out they had sent an MMS message to our work phone which is an older handset and doesn't receive them. No phone call, no voicemail, they in no way made sure we had received the message, which we clearly hadn't! They were barely apologetic and pretty much just shrugged their shoulders. Awful, avoid like the plague.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
5 Thank Marie344
malagoBristol, Manager at Malago Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 11 February 2014
Thank you for submitting a review, on very rare occasions we do over book like any B&B/Hotel, on this occasion we overbooked and didn't realise until the morning of your arrival, as you only booked 2 days previous, you were the last one to book a room so you were the first to be cancelled....you booked through Laterooms.com, their policy is to inform the guest and with their permission to arrange alternative accommodation.
At the time of your booking you were asked to leave a telephone number and a email so we could get in touch with you regarding any aspect of your booking which you did, put as stated on your review you left an old telephone number which you couldn.t be contacted on, an email was sent which wasn't replied to.
If you would of provided correct details to contact you with, we could of arranged alternative accommodation for you before you arrived at our guest house, but we obviously are very sorry to hear that you were distressed and I know that the receptionist who was working is a very compassionate lady and would of helped you more if you needed it. As you didn't stay at our B&B, I feel it was unfair of you to state 'Avoid it like the plague'.
Again apologies are due for the overbooking, but we did try to contact you.
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 February 2014

we stayed at the Malago for one night on way to a certain tv studio. Parking was difficult and the road outside was very noisy. The area is shabby and not very inviting for visitors. The receptionist was cheerful and very helpful. The room was clean and warm but the beds were hard and the pillows even harder! My husband and I got up around 4 am. and made tea. Although we knew they only did a continental breakfast, we were not expecting a DIY!! and were extremely disappointed and would not stay there again

Room Tip: Room No.1 was a nice size
Finchampstead
Reviewed 16 January 2014

Arrived during evening rush hour in the pouring rain so was a bit difficult to find, but once inside found the room was fairly small but adequate for one night's stay and was nice and warm. If it had been a longer stay would have preferred a room on ground level at the back away from road noise. Very good continental breakfast selection and the key card system was a good idea which allowed you entrance to hotel plus your room!

Room Tip: Ask for a room at back of hotel away from traffic noise!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Telford, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 January 2014

I stay at the Malago regularly, as my daughter lives in Bristol. Its rooms are similar in standard to a Premier Inn, but it's much cheaper for me as I can pay just for a single room and breakfast is included. The Malago is always very clean, warm and a comfortable place to stay. The private car park is very tight - only suitable for smallish cars.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Vicky B
Windsor, Canada
Reviewed 11 December 2013

Very nice place to stay for a night or two as it was very clean and comfortable, but the location wasn't fantastic and the wifi didn't work well on the third floor. The employees were extremely helpful and gave us directions to local attractions.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple