“Noisy and unpleasant.”

Malago Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #8 of 49 Bristol B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Arrived and there was not enough space to park the car - it's situated on a busy main road...which was very noticeable overnight. Although it says outside it has a bar - it doesn't.

The rooms, although clean and tidy, had no air conditioning so had to leave the windowas open, so the noise was very bad indeed.

Also, there seemed to be a contingent of hotel 'regulars' which I assume are imigrant workers,that gathered at the front just under my window, smoking and chatting loudly until 2am.

At breakfast, there was little room to manouever around the tiny canteen. There's no 'full english' and the hotest thing you can get is toast...that's if you can be bothered to queue after a long sleepless night!

Two other points worth noting...There was a problem with booking so the twin rooms were unavailable and there were not enough seats for all guests in the canteen so there was a bit of a wait for some guests.

Definately not returning.

Room Tip: Don't stay at the fron of the hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Lianne36

Reviewed 23 May 2014

May the 20th I planned to short break away to Bristol coming up from Falmouth with my Girlfriend to stay for a night at this B&B just for some shopping and just to get away. It being slightly cheaper, was an added bonus. I was happy, it looked great from the pictures uploaded onto the website I used to book online. I was happy until my girlfriend and I arrived. The building of the Malago looked tired and the surrounding area was dreadful and littered with fast food takeaways dotted up and down the streets, Boarded up buildings, old run down pubs and other to go with the look. This did not look anything like the photos I saw on the booking website. As we drove through, the area seemed to get worse. I was already thinking what is the place we're about to stay in like?!

We quickly find the car park which was free ( and about the one good thing) and it had some spaces. The car park was by no means perfect. It was small, dirty, dark and quiet frankly if you had anything bigger than a golf don't bother trying to get into the spaces over the far side as it is a complete maze! Cramped to say the least. There was damage to the a few of the walls in the car park that i had seen, One on the corner of the building with scrape marks and missing parts of cladding to building as you turn into the car park and another right in front of the bay I maneuvered into. It was about about 1ft wide and about half of that from top to bottom as an educated guess it must of been a tow hitch judging by the position of the hole!

After my three point turn. My partner and I we keep our bags in the car and go in to check out our room and things. We get to the door where there is a rather different security system in place where you ring a door bell and wait for the porter or receptionist to open the door for you, while you wait out in the cold. The gent came to the door on his phone and put his finger up signalling to the both of us to wait a minute while he finished his business, I didn't really feel that welcome. He then just said plainly 'follow me' which led us to the tiny office where he asked us to pay then and there and asked me to confirm my card details. i came back and said 'do you mind if we check the room out first?' I asked, he said 'of course'. Then we both proceeded up to the room. The room was basic, which was expected really. But ok for what we needed (it was only a night), nothing romantic about the place at all. I didn't feel it had any character. I take a look out the window expecting a half decent view as its a BS3 postcode so a reasonable chance. No chance! A rusted, old, run down dump for want of a better word really. It was disgusting. The building directly next to the B&B was non-repairable and needed knocking down. It had all sorts of litter and people have obviously been fly tipping over its walls. We have a think and decide if there is no where nice to eat for the evening then we wouldn't bother staying (it gets better). So it was around half 7ish so thought best that we try and scout out somewhere to eat as time was moving on swiftly, my partner thought she saw a nice little Italian as we drove past earlier, along with a little Tesco express right next to the little Italian restaurant. As we walked out both holding hands as couples do. Two dodgy looking men walked closely past us and one says to my girlfriend " I'll give you £30 to ..........!! " which I ignored. But I was utterly livid with. As we walk down the street my partner gets propositioned. I felt sick that someone could do that, no respect at all. a complete scumbag in my opinion. I only noticed men in the streets, no women and I couldn't help but feel stared at, if they were indeed looking at me. I somehow doubt they were. After that escapade, I'd had enough. She had already said she didn't feel safe. We both quickly walked back to the car to arrange something in town, handed back the key and left.

If you are looking for something 'cheap, tired and lacking a bit of passion' this is your place. I have no clue how this place won an award last year. Honestly don't! i felt robbed out of my money completely. The gent in the office was positively miserable and didn't seem like he wanted or could be bother to be there at all. Which didn't make us feel welcome from the start. My advice, Go into Bristol and stay any where other than here.

Mr Murray.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank B8255CKRobert
Reviewed 10 May 2014

We selected this B and B because it was within the correct Bristol area for an early appointment we had at a local studios and it did fulfil our requirement. The location was excellent, we only had a short drive (10 mins max) to our appointment and the traffic was flowing good so no hold ups. The room was clean and facilities adequate. Toiletries were provided and a tea tray in the room. Self Serve Breakfast was continental as expected and had a good choice of cereals, toast, fruit, hams and cheese. The area had a number of eateries within walking distance and the B and B provided a map. The car park to the rear is a very tight squeeze but can accommodate approx 9 cars. As others have said it is located on a noisy busy road and asking for a rear room will help with the noise levels. Overall the price reflected the facilities and was good value for money.

Room Tip: Top floor rooms at the back are away from the main room noise.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 April 2014

Only booked this for 1 night & that was plenty. Shabby, dark room & very sparse. Take you own toiletries as you have to ask to use theirs! Towels paper thin & I wouldn't go near the shower. Poor quality tea in the room & breakfast was awful.....had 1 bite of a very old croissant. Noisy room on the front as it's on a main road so had to have the window closed. Had 2 hours sleep. There were 12 people there on the night we stayed & all were going to Deal Or No Deal! I think this is the only trade they get as it's near the studios! Would not stay here again or recommend.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank mrsbobs
Reviewed 21 April 2014

The rooms are simple but comfortable and have all conveniences expected off a 3 star B&B. Top marks for the excellent breakfast offered and the very friendly and helpful staff. Highly recommended for anyone wishing to stay in the Bedminster area.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank LondonCarioca
Reviewed 20 April 2014

We went to this B&B for a short Easter break this weekend. Nice staff, very casual and laid back establishment. Very easy check in/out. Our double room was nice & clean, the only comment we would make is that the shower curtain smelt a tad musty. The bed was ok but no mattress protector! (Do you not watch the Hotel Inspector)!
Breakfast was not bad for a continental, could have as much as you like of toast, fruit, cereal, boiled eggs, ham, cheese, yoghurts etc. parking a bit tight at the back but not bad. Not too far from Bristol city centre, don't rely on satnav to get to B&B it takes you round in circles!
Excellent chippy across the road The Argus.
Would we return? Yes if we were going to Bristol again. Thanks Malago.

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

The room was adequate for the price, nice and warm, decent shower, comfortable bed and basic breakfast.
Location is not close to Town Centre but you can get buses easily. The towels provided were old and bare, i had my own so did'nt use the B&Bs, only one pillow which by 2 nd night i had a neckache, you have to ask for extra pillows and toiletries in reception, i slept okay,although at times i could hear chatter and doors closing which worrief me. All in all a budget friendly B&B

• Stayed: April 2014