“Lovely Hotel, great position in Bristol, but no free wifi”

Bristol Marriott Royal Hotel
Ranked #17 of 39 Hotels in Bristol
Reviewed 10 April 2014

Cant fault the hotel for ease of parking (although had to pay extra), our room was clean and decor was very nice. View from room not very good, but we only wanted an over night stay so that wasnt really an issue. It is in easy walking distance of the theatres, restaurants and attractions at the harbourside. Had to sleep with the air con on, as couldnt open the window and it got quite warm for us. Breakfast was excellent, buffet style. The only suprising downside was no free wifi, which I found hard to understand. I think it could at least be set that you need a code to use, especially if you are staying.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Windy2009

Reviewed 10 April 2014

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 9 April 2014

I love it - simple as.

Picture the scene - Saturday afternoon I arrived at a Travel Lodge in Bath only to find the twin room that had been booked was a double, so in the interests of masculine safety and thanks to the unhelpful staff, I ended up sleeping on the floor. Fast forward 24 hours and I found myself stood in the lobby of the Marriot Royal, a smiling receptionist checking me in and the gentle hum of people buzzing around.

Arriving at my room I was greeted by two large, soft and comfy beds, plenty of towels and the Sky Sports F1 channel on the tv.....I was already happy.

As the race finished I had a wonderfully warm shower before wandering down to the bar for a drink. A warm smile and greeting was offered by the reception staff as I walked past, and I was soon sat at my table in the bar having a beer with some complimentary nibble waiting for my wife to arrive.

After an excellent nights sleep we headed for breakfast where once upon we were immediately made to feel welcome before diving in to the diverse buffet accompanied by tea of a proper strength.

If I could afford to I would stay at this hotel every weekend, it is quite simply phenomenal in all aspects. Friendly and helpful at all times, the staff are always on hand to help with any requirement or issue, they really are a credit to the company.

In summary, having visited Marriot hotels all over the country and world, I would say this is one of the finest places to stay the UK has on offer - a place to try at least once before you die.

Thank you Marriot for a wonderful evening.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 April 2014

We stayed here for a night and had a great stay. The room had an extra inner door which made it very peaceful despite being a very large and, as it turned out, fully booked hotel. Breakfast was good and they had gluten free bread which is always a nice surprise, but perhaps to be expected in a hotel of this size and stature. One small but irritating negative, you have to pay for WIFI, think £15 for 24 hours. This seems very mean-minded when you paying £160 for a room for the night. Can't remember the last time we paid for WIFI in a hotel. The hotel is in a great location and the staff are pleasant. We were warned breakfast would be busy, but we were seated straight away and service was good.

Room Tip: We had an executive room on the third floor, 1301, even though it's opposite the lift you don...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 April 2014

My wife and I stayed here in May 2012 while attending Crimefest - the international crime fiction convention. I was surprised to find out that they were charging for wi-fi - I think it was 10 pounds per day at the time. I questioned the staff about this and was told that they were locked-in to a contract with the provider and that the policy would probably change.

Well, we are planning to attend this year's Crimefest in May and just received hotel information from our tour organizer. We will be staying in three other hotels in Cornwall and Oxford, as well as the Marriott in BristoI, and each of them offers free wi-fi. I was shocked to see that the Marriott is still charging for wi-fi and that it would now cost 15 pounds a day! We Americans would be paying more than $25 a day for this service. No thank you, Marriott. If the the pub across the street still offers free wi-fi, that's were we will be.

On the positive side, the Marriott does have a great location.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank fredgtjr
BRSRY, Guest Relations Manager at Bristol Marriott Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2014

Thank you for your comments, I can confirm that wifi is available free in bedrooms as a Gold Marriott Reward member and available free in public areas of the hotel. We looking forward to welcoming you back later in the year.

Reviewed 2 April 2014

Lovely hotel and staff. Room clean/comfy, Breakfast was plentiful. Hotel central to where we needed to be. (Very close to Bristol Hippodrome & Docks) They do charge you for parking £15, But you have peace of mind that your car is safe.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jo F
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Visited as a younger couple thinking we may feel slightly out of place but was be no means disappointed. Made to feel very welcome at all times.

Loved the gym and spa facilities, made a nice change from the day job! Ate in the restaurant one night and the food was superb. Not overpriced either for the high quality of the food.

Located in the centre of everything you'd like to do in Bristol really, really couldn't find one negative! Will return.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple