“Functional Grandeur”

Bristol Marriott Royal Hotel
Ranked #17 of 39 Hotels in Bristol
Reviewed 25 May 2014

The trick with modernising a grand old Victorian hotel is which bits to polish up and which ones to modernise. The Royal Hotel manages this with the confidence and style. Bedrooms with high ceilings in minimalist cool greys and bathrooms updated in chequered ceramics and chrome. The staff were extremely helpful and the benefits of having relatively cheap parking in the centre of Bristol should not be overlooked. Breakfast was fine although the dining room a little crowded and cramped - perhaps because there was a conference on at the time. As we were down visiting a son at the University, it was the perfect place to base ourselves for the weekend.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 25 May 2014

I booked the restaurant for Sunday lunch to celebrate my daughter's 21st birthday and I was horrified at the level of poor service we received from this hotel.
I do not expect to receive such dismal service from a hotel group like the Marriott.
Firstly, we arrived at the hotel and requested a jug of Pimms to be told they do not offer such facility. Only sold by the glass at £4.50 per glass. So the assistant used her intelligence and asked the Manager who permitted the use of a jug to make up Pimms..

What I did not know or was advised at the time of the booking was that the Hotel do not offer Sunday Lunch!
So we arrived at the hotel restaurant to be offered bar snacks in the restaurant for my daughter's celebration meal. The service was atrocious and we waited 45 minutes to be served with bar snacks. The prices are hidious as well. My daughters were served cold chips,pizza that looked like it come from the local Tesco store and they had the audacity to charge for rubbish food being served.
I complained to the Manager as I was not prepared to pay for crap food which was knocked off the bill after my protest.

Be warned do not buy drinks or foods at this hotel as you surely be ripped off. Avoid all costs.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank keith j
BristolRoyal, Guest Relations Manager at Bristol Marriott Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

I am sorry to hear you had an unsatisfactory experience in our restaurant, I believe you have spoken to our Bars and Restaurant Manager on the day but if you feel that the issue is still not resolved, please do not hesitate to contact her again. I do hope one day you will return to our hotel when we can ensure you have a very enjoyable experience.

Reviewed 24 May 2014

Grand old building in a perfect location. The staff were most helpful and friendly and the breakfast is great although lacking in originality. But it's expensive and although the rooms are very large, the decor is tired in the bathrooms and the bed is mediocre. The paint was pealing in the bathroom, the toilet paper holder broken and for this price, a bouncy plastic bath! Really? Needs renewal.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your comments about our hotel and associates; it's great to hear they were most helpful and friendy. Thank you for the comments on our bedrooms as well, all feedback is looked at by management.

Reviewed 19 May 2014

We were booked in just for 1 night as we were taking in a show at the Hipperdrome.
On arrival we were offered an opportunity to pay an extra £50 for a suite, ordinarily I'd have probably passed, but heck you only live once! Our regular room was nice enough but when I saw the suite we could not resist. Made all the better as it came with a welcome 1/2 bottle of wine & they threw in the parking fee. (a combined cost of probably £35.00) so an added 15 notes. Good call: And well done to the proactive receptionist for getting us to spend a bit more! It worked.

The hotel is lovely, I'm not faulting it, breakfast plentiful although a bit ordinary, got to hand it to the foreign staff, far more smiley and friendly than the local ones!
Would stay again, might be nice for a week end break. Good value.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GraylingDorsetUK
Reviewed 18 May 2014

I've stayed at this hotel before, two years ago, but my three night stay this time has made me realise just what a great hotel this is. Things got off to a great start when I was entered the hotel via the car park and met a lovely member of staff called Claudia, who was busy cleaning the floor but nevertheless took me all the way up to reception in the lift and made me feel very welcome.

From then on I really noticed that everyone working in the hotel, no matter what they were doing, made a point of smiling and saying hello. Makes you realise that actually this level of friendliness and courtesy is now quite rare in the world of corporate chain hotels. The barman who mixed us a mango bellini (on his, spot on, recommendation), the reception staff, the room cleaners, the waiters and waitresses in the restaurant - all of them were lovely.

Everything else about the hotel was great - food, room, bathroom, cleanliness, atmosphere - brilliant. Would highly recommend.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
BRSRY, Guest Relations Manager at Bristol Marriott Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

It was great to read your comments about our hotel and associates, its such a boost to be recognisised for the fantastic, qualtiy custome service Marriott is reknown for, thank you.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

I stayed a three or four nights a week at the Bristol Royal for about a month on business. The hotel is very centrally situated and the prettiest part of Bristol and the College Green area beside is very pretty. The building itself is stunning - old English architecture at its best - and the decor has been tastefully done including a couple of comfy, homely bars.

There are quite a number of rooms at this hotel but for a Marriott, they were pretty average. Whilst they were very clean, they were a little dated and the bathrooms especially had seen better days - the marble sink tops in all of the rooms I stayed in were chipped or cracked, the sinks themselves were the same, I had a ripped shower curtain and cracked tiles. The decor itself in the bathrooms is relatively 'grand' so it looks more like a tatty stately home - which is to say it's just about getting away with it. Other than that, the rooms are totally generic but lacking the sharpness of the Marriott that I usually see - in the London hotels for example. There is no iPod dock, no slippers etc.

The main bar at the hotel is very warm and welcoming with a real fire. The drinks prices are exorbitant like most hotels and I would recommend stepping out into the surrounds as you're surrounded by pubs, cafes and restaurants. The hotels own restaurant 'Walters' is trying to be 'great' and scraping an 'average to good'. The nights I did eat there I had a luke warm goat's cheese tart and an overcooked sirloin and the portions are very meagre for the price - you get about 8 chips with your steak and a tiny (I mean teeny weeeeeeeeny tiny) pot of bearnaise sauce. It feels mean rather than selective - good example, I asked for salad instead of chips with my steak, one night - it came in a tiny bowl and whilst it was nice, salad ain't exactly filling! The staff are lovely which makes up for the shockingly poor atmosphere in the restaurant - no music, hardly any patrons, it isn't great!

For food I'd recommend skipping over the road to Turtle Bay - great Caribbean food, or trek up the massive hill to Browns, or get a cab a 10 minute ride to Lido which has great food! There are loads of chain and independent restaurants within walking distance so I'd definitely eat out - and it's a lot cheaper.

The hotel does have a gym which is a small collection of machines in a very small room - you'd be better off burning the calories walking up the hill! There simplt aren't enough machines, it's quite airless and you're on top of everyone else - beware trying to get past the cross machines when someone is on the rowing machine - you need Indiana Jones skills!

There is also parking at this hotel - I think it's £14.50 or thereabouts for 24 hours and it's basically a multi storey car park underneath the hotel. You enter the car park down a little nook to the left of the main entrance at the front of the building. Beware using a sat nav - it takes you to the road at the rear of the hotel where you exit the car park!

Overall I would stay here again, ultimately it has clean, comfortable rooms, onsite parking and is right in the centre. I think Marriott have some work to do though to improve their facilities and food quality to match their wonderful staff!

Room Tip: If you have trouble sleeping, ask for an inward facing room as a number of rooms are directly above...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 May 2014

booked this hotel on phone 2 hrs before arrival, no problem £120 plus parking £14.50 fine,deal accepted, got reference number off to check in, all fine until asked to pay, oh the rate is now £130.. gone up quick i thought, but cant do as i have a reservation reference number!
no no no.....not even with reference number its £130.. so be aware u grt bullied and ripped off, duty manager spoke awful english(german)... was give 2 no drinks vouchers..hmm ok, till got to bar, baileys coffee £5.50 to pay with voucher OMG what a rip off..and wrong..plus side best bed ive slept in and pillows were excellent

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
BRSRY, Guest Relations Manager at Bristol Marriott Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

Thank you for your comments, and I apologise for the challenge you encountered with the rate amendment, I agree this should not have been the case and the initial rate should have been honoured against your booking reference number. I do hope this incident will not deter you from continuing to use the Marriott Group.