“Sub-standard - what a disappointment.”

Bristol Marriott Royal Hotel
Ranked #16 of 39 Hotels in Bristol
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I was bitterly disappointed with my experience of staying at the Marriott Royal. The grand entrance and façade is impressive, but once you're in the bowels of the hotel, boy do the cracks start to show - literally. 1980's decorated corridors (on the lower ground floor) led me to my suite which reminded me of staying at 'grannies house'. With old fashioned standard lamps, inexpensive window treatments, old fashioned and faded carpets, and a bathroom which was so 1980's it should be in a retro museum. The lift down to the LGF was positioned opposite a doorway which has to be the dirtiest door in town (see image). When inside my £249 per night suite, I couldn't help but notice the poor electric cabling near the TV, the huge stain on the Sofa (let's not dwell on that for too long), furniture which belonged in a bric a bric store, and the basic feel of it all. Shabby chic? certainly not - just shabby. I'm not a regular booker of suites, but due to limited availability in Bristol, this was my only option at short notice. I was rather excited by the prospect and the opportunity to stay in a suite, in a beautiful hotel, but I was thoroughly disappointed.

In addition to the points made above, the TV interface is clunky, the in room menu very limited and expensive (£17 for a Marriott Burger) and it wasn't very nice. I had to call to request more French Fries as I only received 10 on my plate. They arrived 18 minutes later.

Remember the days when you had to turn everything off manually in a hotel room, when exiting your room? Well, this still exists at the Marriott Royal. Take a trip down memory lane and experience walking around your room, turning off each light, desk light, side light, TV, bathroom light etc as you head out for the night. Whilst walking round doing all of this switching on and off, I noticed that the same framed large picture of Clifton suspension bridge appeared twice in my room - real double vision!

And to list quickly what else was wrong: the Champagne bar doesn't exist anymore, the ladies changing rooms are so dated, they made using a public swimming baths seem appealing. The shower in the ladies changing room smelled. The complimentary shampoo in the pool area was like fairy liquid.

Empty bars, empty lounges, an empty pool and Bristol was buzzing that evening. Friendly staff though. Oh and breakfast wasn't included in my rate!

I was really pleased to leave the Marriott Royal, I felt short changed, miserable and hungry.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
5  Thank BristolMoog
BRSRY, Guest Relations Manager at Bristol Marriott Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Thank you for sharing your observations and views based upon your last visit with us.

First and foremost, I wish to extend my sincere apologies for the poor experience and challenges you were met with on your stay here with us. Your comments have been shared with my team of managers for their review and follow up.

I am disappointed to see that you feel that the property is not kept up to your expectations. There is a continuous focus on all of our public areas, including hallways, to ensure that they are in pristine conditions. The décor of our property enhances the elegance of our quintessentially British design as well as preserving our rich heritage.

Should your travel take you back to London, please do let me know so that I can ensure you have a most enjoyable stay with us.

There are newer reviews for Bristol Marriott Royal Hotel

Reviewed 21 July 2014

I stayed in this hotel for 1 night. I stayed in a family room with one of my friends. We had a double bed each, very comfortable bed and pillows. Visited the swimming pool and it was very clean and not very busy. Breakfast was buffet style and it was superb.....fried breakfast not not greasy. I will definitely be recommending to my family and friends

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to provide such valuable feedback, we were very pleased to know that you had enjoyed you stay with us from the comfortable beds to the English breakfast, we hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 19 July 2014

Stayed here for one night for our daughters graduation. Excellent accommodation, clean, well appointed rooms. Excellent staff, really polite, helpful and friendly. Booked two rooms and check in wasn't until 4pm which was the time we needed to be at the ceremony, I phoned ahead and explained that we had a long journey and needed to be able to get ready etc and they would arrange to have a room ready early for us, which they did. Tasty lunch in the bar and super breakfast the next day, lots of choice and very well cooked. Would definitely stay again and highly recommend.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank saffron1965
BRSRY, Guest Relations Manager at Bristol Marriott Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Firstly congratulations on your daughters graduation, such a proud momemt for you. It was great to know you throroughly enjoyed your stay with us, your feedback is very valuable to us.

Reviewed 19 July 2014

Stayed here as my niece was graduating. Excellent hotel thet was very convenient. Staff very helpful and room good value. Would stay again. Breakfast was very good with a great selection of food.All eggs were freshly made and staff very obliging.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Congratulations on your nieces graduation. It was good to know you enjoyed your stay with us and that your particularly enjoyed the breakfast.

Reviewed 19 July 2014

The room service was of poor quality as maids were ignorant towards the 'do not disturb signs'. Some technical errors with televisions and services asked for over the room service telephone. Putting all of that aside, I found the overall stay comforting and to a good standard of quality.

Room Tip: I always prefer to ask for a corner suite with a hot tub.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Abbie-Hayter,

Thank you for your feedback, we were sorry to learn of your poor experience regarding room service, TV service and being disturbed by our room attendant, your comments have been taken on board and shared with the team.

Reviewed 18 July 2014

Stayed for one night, a clean and comfortable old hotel but showing it's age in many ways, badly chipped enamel bath and scratched bathroom sink etc. The charge for internet connection at £6 per hour is pretty steep. I tried to get connected but was told there was a problem with payment and asked to try again, I didn't but it now transpires that I was still charged the £6. Unhappy with that and the fact that the internet service provider does not declare its name or contact details on the emailed invoice confirmation I have written to the hotel manage and eagerly await a reply

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank JDC288

Thank you for your valuable feedback following your stay with us, we have taken your comments on board seriously regarding the bathroom and internet, we apologise that these issues spoilt your stay.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

Very short review.
Excellent location and generally very good old hotel.
Clean and with very efficient staff , however , the internet connection was not working and even when it was fixed it was useless as it was too slow.
The worse thing was the noise coming from the main road.
Unfortunately the window frames are not well made and you can clearly hear the traffic during your sleep.
I was on the 1st floor so I kindly suggest to get a room facing somehwere else.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not facing the main road
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Matteo C
BRSRY, Guest Relations Manager at Bristol Marriott Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Dear Matteo C,

Thank you for taking time to provide us with your feedback on trip advisor following your recent stay.

I will ensure your feedback regarding internet connectivity is passed onto our service provider for for investigation and action. Only very recently a contractor has revisited our bedroom windows to ensure correct closure and locking devices, unfortunately we are unable to improve the noise generated through the alluminium frame until any window replacement project is considered. I apologise for the disturbance caused from this.