“Never again - ruined weekend”

Bristol Marriott Royal Hotel
Ranked #14 of 39 Hotels in Bristol
South Wales
“Never again - ruined weekend”
Reviewed 17 December 2010

Went to Bristol for our xmas shopping weekend with husband, planned on shopping through days and going for nice meals and plenty of sleep (no kids). After staying at the Bristol Marriot city centre last year and having a fabulous restful weekend, we really loked forward to our trip this year and due to the city centre being full we decided to go to the Bristol royal marriott, afterall, its a marriott and should be same standard. What a disappointment!! Room really pokey to start with, not much naturel light due to small window. Never mind, got on with shopping. Quite a walk to main shopping malls, but pleasant enough walking. When it come to going to sleep, it was another thing! Really noisy from outside noise, although on 4th floor, it was as if traffic, talking, sirens were right outside window. We didn't shut our eyes all night. Complained to reception who were very understanding and changed our room but the noise was not much better at all. I was so tired i was in tears at one point, ruined our shopping trip as we were both too tired and miserable to shop! My worry is I've booked 3 rooms at the Marriott in Cardiff for New Years eve, i only hope its not a disaster!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Bevevans

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (425)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Dorset, England
Reviewed 3 December 2010

I chose the Marriott as it was superbly located to stay after the EXCELLENT Steve Harley acoustic set at St Georges. The hotel itself is lovely, beautiful room, very comfy bed, nice swimming pool, convenient parking, pleasant staff, but they didn't really seem to be very knowledgeable about where they work. We came in about 10.45 and were looking for a meal and reception staff were not aware that bar food ends at 11pm. Luckily we asked in the bar and managed to order a meal at the last minute. We actually run a pub and to be honest, our food is ten times better and about half the price! But hey ho, it was late. What really annoyed me was that I had spent HOURS on the internet looking for a deal and I know that I would never book a hotel without breakfast included. To us, that is one of the pleasures of staying away, to saunter down to breakfast, with everything laid on. I particularly searched for a bargain, with English breakfast included, rather than continental and when it came to it, we had to pay £17.50 each for the priviledge. It was not worth anywhere near that much, and made my bargain rather expensive in the end. I'm not that bothered - chalk it up to experience, as we had such a fantastic night, but they draw you in online with deals and offers, and then you end up paying anyway. Unfortunately for me, it didn't specify this on my confirmation, so I had no leg to stand on.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Evesham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 December 2010

My husband and I took my 80 year old mother here for afternoon tea for a birthday treat. The level of hygiene and cleanliness leaves a lot to be desired - dirty tables and chipped teapots etc. We all suffered with an upset stomach afterwards and I wrote to the hotel to complain. Their response to ask for doctors reports! Very unsatisfactory - who wants to waste the doctors time with a bout of food poisoning? No other recompense was offered - we will definitely not be visiting this hotel again.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
5 Thank C0l0mbini
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 October 2010

My wife and I ended our half term escape here with a planned quality meal in the Palm Restaurant and we weren't disappointed. We had a nice welcome even though the room wasn't ready - we were early so we can't complain - they still booked us in so we could have a drink and eat charged to the room.
The staff in the bar were friendly and when we got to the restaurant the service was spot on. The only down side was the person in front of us asking for the manager as there were no tables available - the note on the hotel did say book a table! Not really the staffs fault that this person hadn't booked.
The food was well cooked and very well presented. All in all it was just what we wanted.
However that said the room was a little noisy but that's what you get in a city centre hotel on a weekend

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
Chippenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 October 2010

We stayed and had dinner here for my birthday as it looked so impressive from the outside and the Marriott chain has a very good reputation but we were very disappointed from the beginning.

We had to queue for 15 minutes to check in. As we had purchased the dinner deal I asked how much we were entitled to spend on dinner and receptionist told us the incorrect amount. When we went down for dinner no one told us the restaurant had been hired out so we spent 10 minutes trying to find it. When we asked we were directed to a make-shift restaurant set up in the club bar where service was slow. At about 1am we were woken by the noise of people out in the centre of town that coninued for at least an hour. When I got a bath in the morning there was stubble around the bath, which we hadn't used. In the morning I asked how we provide feedback on the hotel, the receptionist said they didn't do paper forms but would be sent an email containing a link to do this (they already had my email address). I have never received this yet I have received advertising from the Marriott Chain.

All of those things made our stay disappointing.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Louise190801
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 October 2010

If you visit Bristol and wish to stay in the centre you couldn't stay in a better place. However, with the location you also get the noise... this is inevitable as the hotel is surrounded by busy roads, restaurants and all the panoply of noises you'd expect in the heart of a commercial centre. The building itself is magnificent, inside it was refurbished a while ago and is showing signs of tiredness. For example the public loos are really quite run down and much in need of a lick of paint. The bedrooms are of a good size and with all the usual amenities you'd expect. Food is average (at least the one I had as part of a function), though breakfast is very good. Service is variable, from efficient to scatty. So all in all, it's what you'd expect, business hotel, part of large chain, in the hear of a busy city, no more, no less.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
Horsham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 October 2010

We stayed here in February 2008 and really enjoyed ourselves so decided to go back for a weekend. We contacted the hotel a few days prior to arrival to make a request for an upgraded room and were told that our request would be noted on the system. On arrival we were told no note had been made but were offered an upgrade to an a room on the executive floor for an extra £25 per night, we agreed but were very disppointed when we arrived at the tiny room, you don't mind paying extra but when you end up in a room that had clearly not been cleaned properly and is tiny you do feel a bit cheated. The mud on the floor and the empty pill bottle under the bedside cabinet were a big giveaway of this, also the sheets did not fit the bed!! I went to reception with the empty bottle and we swiftly moved to a far larger room which did contain the extras that we were expecting, such as enlarged bed, bath robes etc. They also waived the £25 per night charge, thankyou. In the evening we had dinner included in the Palm Restaurant, which was superb and we had excellent service from a young Goan Waitress. Everything was going pretty well until Sunday morning when we woke to find no hot water in the bathroom, we called reception and were told that an engineer was looking into the matter and were offered 20% off of the room rate, which was a very nice gesture but does not get you clean!?! Upon checking out we were served by a rather rude young lady, who got quite uppity when I asked for the manager's email address, so that I could send in a complaint. We have stayed in many Marriott hotels over the yars, and never had any real issues, however the Marriott Standards do not seem to be being adhered to here.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple