“Good quality and value for money”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Bristol City Centre
Ranked #7 of 39 Hotels in Bristol
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 5 December 2013

Centrally located 4 stars hotel. Warm and efficient personnel and good furniture. This hotel is deffo value for money. Just 5 minutes from the main station and from the city center and the harbor. Breakfast was good too, aligned with other standards with fresh orange juice.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
2  Thank Michele B
93John, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Bristol City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2013

Dear Guest.

Thank you for your review regarding your stay with us. I was delighted to read you felt our hotel was 'good quality and value for money'. I was also very pleased to read that you felt our staff were 'warm and efficient'.

We very much look forward to seeing you again soon.

There are newer reviews for DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Bristol City Centre

Reviewed 4 December 2013 via mobile

Had a wonderful stay, no complaints about anything. The hotel facility's are brilliant, with the pool and spa area. welcomed with a warm
cookie. The room had a quirky boutique feel and the bed was beautiful. The breakfast was wonderful, completely spoilt for choice. Bristol as a city was also really fun to visit, good food and drink and loads to do.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jenfletch

Dear Guest.

Thank you for your review regarding your stay with us back in March. I was very pleased to read that you felt the hotels facilities were 'brilliant', your bed was 'wonderful' and that you were 'spoilt for choice at Breakfast'.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel when you visit Bristol again.

Reviewed 4 December 2013

Was visiting Bristol with friends to watch a show. The location was good, and the room was extremely good value. There was no mirror in the bedroom, which was a bit interesting with three girls sharing, however the hotel assured me that they were in the process of remedying this problem. Also did not feel that customers should have to pay £7.50 to park their car.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Dear Guest.

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay with us. I am delighted to read that the location of our hotel suited you and your friends. We are just a very short walk from Temple Meads train station and only a 10 minute walk into the centre of Bristol, Cabot Circus and Bristol Harbour side.

Please be assured that we do regularly monitor our car parking charges ensuring that we remain one of the cheapest hotels in Bristol for guest parking.

We look forward to welcoming you and your friends back to the hotel again soon.

Reviewed 3 December 2013

i have had great stay in the hotel, it is a lovely hotel. the food is brill. it isnt a normal hotel i would choose as i would feel its too posh for me but i was here with work.

the only bad feedback i have is the unhelpfulness of one of the reception team, i was told by my company that i was able to charge to my room. but was told by reception staff this wasnt added to my room. the lady was unwilling to check to see if this was an option. there for i had to hand over my card for what i can only say was an overpriced meal.

but all in all i would recommend the hotel...but just advise people to make sure the receptionist do everything in there power to check all options before admitting defeat and handing over your own debit card

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Dear Guest.

Thank you for your recent review. It was very pleasing to read that you felt our hotel was 'lovely' and that the food was 'brill'. I am very sorry for any inconvenience that was caused to you due to an administration error with your booking. I am aware that this has now been rectified for you.

We hope you will come and stay again soon.

Reviewed 2 December 2013 via mobile

We arrived at 6pm on Friday evening and checked in fine. The welcome cookie was a lovely touch and the reception staff swiped our credit card so drinks etc could be added to the room.

The room was nice with a very comfy bed but very soft pillows ... I needed 3 to get comfy, there was only 2 each on the bed, with no spares. The bathroom was lovely, albeit no shower mat for inside the cubicle.... Which although looked lovely when in use got quite a slippy floor.

The following day we headed out to Bath Christmas market. The train station is approx 10 min walk from hotel.

That evening we returned to the hotel and decided to book breakfast for the morning. In asking the reception desk to put us down for breakfast I was asked to make payment. I confirmed that we had given a card over for using and asked for it to be taken from that. I was informed no card had been given. I argued that it had and the gentlemen went off to look for it .... Eventually he confirmed the system hadn't been updated and apologised.

We decided to have a nightcap before bed.... The bar tender looked less then happy to be there, however we all have 'off days'.... We ordered a glass of port to be told they had none.... It is nearly Christmas and this surprised me somewhat... So I asked for an Ameretto and ice.... They had none of that either... Nor any prosecco... It was frustrating as there was nothing really I wanted to drink and so we ended with my partner having a glass of red wine and brandy and I had a kahulla. These were charged to the room perfectly fine.

A lovely night sleep was had (more pillows brought to the room). We went to breakfast and were seated. The choice of food was fabulous, the waiting staff very attentive. The only criticism was that staff topping up the hot food were rather curt and a little rude! The hot food is on an island which has access all the way around. Being veggie it seemed most of the items I wanted were at the back and to ensure I didn't burn myself, I went the closest side.... Only to be told by the staff that this was 'there side' and that I shouldn't be there. I apologised and explained I didn't want to burn myself, to be pulled a face at and told to go to the other side! Not what you expect.

Check out was busy but the staff helpful. Overall a bit disappointed but I may just have caught people on their 'off' days .

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Elaine G, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Bristol City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2013

Dear Guest.

Thank you for your recent review. I was pleased to read you felt the welcome cookie was a 'lovely touch'. The ‘cookie’ is a signature of the DoubleTree brand and is incredibly popular with all our guests.

I was delighted to read you liked your bedroom and bathroom and additional pillows were brought to your bedroom for your comfort as requested. We do provide bathmats on guest’s requests, when you stay with us again please just ask for one at reception and this can be provided in your room for you.

I am sorry you were not able to enjoy your choice of drinks at the bar, I have already passed on your comments onto the Bars Manager whom will take on board your feedback and ensure we are able to cater for all our guests requests at all times. I apologies that we were unable to do this for you on this occasion.

We hope that should you be visiting Bristol again you'll come back to stay with us.

Reviewed 2 December 2013

Lets face it the building is hideous from the outside. i'm sure it would have been cheaper to knock it down and start again. They have tried hard to mask its origins but the fabric of the building is always going to be old. The lifts are very slow and cramped and the walls paper thin. we could hear too much of our neighbours. I wont say what....

Reception is not where you expect- up a flight of stairs

The rooms themselves were fine (if a bit small for a king room) and the air-con wasn't up to much. Far too hot even in December (but they did open a window for us)

Staff were good and helpful and our evening meal was OK

We may try the Hilton Garden - next time

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest.

I was sorry to read your comments about disliking the exterior of our hotel. We have recently spent £5m refurbishing the whole hotel. This included a significant amount spent on our front entrance and outside landscaping. The feedback we have received so far from our guests has been very positive and I am very sorry you did not feel the same.

I will pass your comments regarding the bedroom air-conditioning units to our Maintenenance team, so they can ensure we are providing the correct temperature in the bedrooms meeting all of our guests needs.

I was pleased to read that you felt the 'staff were good and helpful'. If you do decide to stay with us again we very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Reviewed 30 November 2013

Stayed 4 nights on business. Very pleasant. Hotel recently refurbished and room was very comfortable, being a reasonable size. Reception / dining area also good.

Service was very friendly & helpful throughout the stay. Breakfast is good.

I was particularly impressed with the willing & proactive service provided by a smiling chef called Becky at breakfast who was always willing to offer specially cooked items to customers individual tastes. Very much appreciated. Thank you.

Liked the gym which is very reasonable size and the free WiFi is an advantage plus good on-site parking at very reasonable rate for city centre.

Very happy to recommend and would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Elaine G, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Bristol City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2013

Dear Guest.

Thank you for the 5* review you recently gave us after your 4 nights stay at our hotel on business. Great to read you had a 'very pleasant' stay with us.

I am pleased you liked the new decor of the hotel, we are delighted with the £5m we have spent refurbishing all areas of the hotel.

I was delighted to read your kind words regarding our 'smiling breakfast chef - Becky', I will ensure your review is shown to her and also displayed on the staff notice board.

I am very pleased that you would be 'very happy to recommend our hotel to others' and we very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.