“Almost great.”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Bristol City Centre
Ranked #9 of 39 Hotels in Bristol
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 17 December 2013 via mobile

My wife and I visit Bristol every December for a couple of days Christmas shopping without the kids and this was our first stay at this hotel. The hotel looks a bit ropey from the outside but once you step in you are in a lovely modern hotel. The booking in process was fine and were provided with a couple of sumptuous warm cookies. Our room (230) was a little small but had everything we needed with a lovely bathroom and amazing shower, even if the shower was a little cold on the Tuesday morning. On the Sunday afternoon after arrival we sat in the bar whilst I watched the football and ordered a couple of hot chocolates, for £3 the least you expect is quite a large mug and for it to be a "hot" chocolate not a drink you can gulp down in two gulps. On the Monday evening we had been to the cinema at Cabot Circus which is only a 10-15 minute walk, unfortunately it was pouring down with rain and we were soaked (obviously not the hotels fault) but when we got back both our key cards wouldn't work so I had to make my way back to the reception to get them reactivated which was annoying as all I wanted to do was dry off. Upon leaving today we couldn't get out of the car park as my previously stamped ticket wouldn't work so I had to go back to reception to get that sorted. Whilst I was there a couple were checking in and were told about the free WiFi with no password and were also offered a complimentary newspaper, both of which my wife and I were not told about. We would like to make this hotel our base for all future visits to Bristol as it's easier to get to with on site parking and is close to all the amenities, but I would need convincing....maybe a tin of those cookies in the post would help me on my way.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Stuart S
John D, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Bristol City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 18 December 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent 4* review. I am pleased you liked the newly refurbished interior of our hotel and that you felt the warm cookie you were given on arrival was ‘sumptuous’. All our guests receive a cookie on arrival and we also have tins of cookies available for guests to purchase. The ‘cookie’ is a signature of the DoubleTree brand and is incredibly popular with all our guests.

I am very sorry for any inconvenience that was caused by your key card/car parking ticket not working, I can confirm that all our guests are eligible for free Wi-Fi in the hotel (no password required), I am sorry if you were not made aware of this.

I can also confirm that guests on certain levels of the Hilton loyalty scheme 'HHonors' do receive a complimentary newspaper during their stay with us. We do however always have available for all guests on Reception a copy of the daily 'I' paper. All our guests are eligible to join the HHonors loyalty scheme, please ask for more details when you next make your booking and they will be able to give you all the information required.

We hope you will come and visit us again soon.

Reviewed 17 December 2013

We were over on a weekend break in Bristol . We stayed here about 5 years ago . what an improvement. Rooms are very tastefully decorated now. Staff were very pleasant, from the moment we walked in to reception, then my wife had a chat with the chamber maid/house keeper, then bar and restaurant staff. We will be back as it is quite central to the shopping, the river bars and the restaurants. Glad to see all the improvements. Well worth the visit.

Room Tip: Just go and stay , you will enjoy it.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for your fantastic review and I am very pleased that you enjoyed your weekend break at our hotel.

We are delighted that you approve of the significant changes we have made to all areas of the hotel. We are really proud of our new product and enjoy reading guest's reviews such as yourself, making such positive comments.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 15 December 2013

I have been coming to this hotel for over 20 years. At first my office was just over the road. This was my first visit since retiring almost 4 years ago and the first since the major refurbishment. The rooms are now fantastic. The old baths have been replaced with walk in modern showers and everything has been given a makeover. From the position of the room safe to the control of the TV the little details have been thought through. The room lighting is top notch and you can actually read in bed without a torch!
Service at reception was efficient with a nice touch of being given a hot cookie.
We were there for the annual Xmas party. Bearing in mind the hotel was serving about 200 diners the food was good with very hot plates for the main dish. Vegetables were matched to the dish so no sprouts with the salmon!
Breakfast was buffet style but a la carte options were available. The setting was the old glass kiln restaurant that always has a wow factor when you enter with its old association with Bristol Blue glass.
Staff were always attentive and efficient.
The best hotel I have stayed in this year and the makeover was money well spent.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Paul T
Reviewed 15 December 2013 via mobile

I've just spent a night in this hotel as part of a girls weekend. What a great find! Very stylish interior, reception staff incredibly helpful and rooms comfortable and clean (lovely fluffy pillows!). It's in a good spot - only 5 minds walk to the bars and restaurants on the harbour and a 15 min walk to Cabot Circus/Broadmead. Can't fault it and would def stay again. Great value for money.

Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Rachel1807
John D, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Bristol City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2013

Dear Guest.

Thank you very much for your 5* review. It is great to read that you felt the hotel had a 'very stylish interior', our reception staff were 'incredibly helpful' and our rooms were 'comfortable and clean'

I agree with you that our hotel is ‘conveniently positioned’ in Bristol, just a short walk from Temple Meads Train Station and that the City Centre (including Cabot Circus Shopping Centre and Bristol Harbourside) is only a short walk away.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on your next visit to Bristol.

Reviewed 15 December 2013

We stay in this hotel three times a year and would not want to stay anywhere else in Bristol.Value for money, great welcome, pleasant and efficient staff throughout, excellent food and service, comfy beds, quality linen, smart decore, free WiFi and good leisure facilities. What more could you want? We are already planning our next visit.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for yet another 5* review you have recently given the hotel. Your comments and feedback are very much appreciated and my team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us again.

I will ensure that your comments and feedback are placed on our Trip Advisor board in our staff canteen, so that everyone can see them.

Reviewed 11 December 2013

I don't know if you ever read this part, but I will type this anyway. I have stayed in many different types of accommodation(s) throughout the world. Pound for pound this is the best value group of Hotels I have experienced anywhere. I have also stayed at 2 other Hilton Hotels in Newcastle and Aberdeen so I have a comparison group. The rooms are excellent quality, the staff are friendly and efficient and I would thoroughly recommend this hotel to anyone staying in this part of the world. I am so impressed that in January , rather than staying in your Cardiff Hilton, for a Rugby match , I will be staying in the Bristol Double Tree and travel across the Bridge to Wales. nb: Airport (A1) bus, £11 return takes you straight to the front door of the Hotel, how good is that ? Don't take a taxi they cost a fortune £30 one way

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
1  Thank ENOSISGala
John D, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Bristol City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you very much indeed for your recent 5* review.

I am very pleased to read that you felt our rooms are of 'excellent quality' and that our staff members were 'friendly and efficient'. I am also delighted to read that you would highly recommend our hotel and the DoubleTree by Hilton brand to others.

It is great that you have chosen to stay with us again in January whilst attending the rugby in Wales, as you said we are only a very short walk to Bristol Temple Meads train station.

We very much look forward to seeing you again in the New Year.

Reviewed 9 December 2013

Fabulous weekend stay, special thanks for Imran and Domingo and the lovely receptionist who made it even more special. We had dinner in the hotel and the food was delicious and a high quality. Breakfasts are good value and good choice. The walls are a tad on the thin side. And the drainage needs to be looked in as the bathroom got flooded each time. But very good value and experience overall.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
John D, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Bristol City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your review and your kind words regarding some of our team members. I will ensure your reviewed is passed onto each of them. I was very pleased to read you had a 'fabulous weekend stay' with us, enjoyed your dining experience and that the food in our Restaurant was 'delicious and of a high quality'.

I will ensure your comments regarding the drainage are looked into by our Maintenance team, I am sorry if this caused you any inconvenience.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.