“I'd even be happy if I were paying myself”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Bristol City Centre
Ranked #9 of 39 Hotels in Bristol
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Stayed here for a business trip, brought husband along. I was allocated a twin room which was a surprise but not a problem. It was spotless and the beds within were very very comfortable.

I'd read other reviews and was concerned about having room under the "soft rain shower", as I'm 5'10" .... not only was it not a problem but there is also a flip over to a non-fixed shower if required. The bathroom mini's are a good size and have a pleasant scent. The towels are soft.

I was particulalry impressed by the huge amount of sockets in the room, the free wifi, and even though there is air con that works, there are also windows that open ... a real bonus for those of us that like to experience a bit of fresh air!

Ate in the restaurant on the first night. As others have said, it's housed in the old glass kiln ... there is not a huge range but there is a choice of meals and the two tried were of very good quality and filling. They were charged at usual hotel prices. Good wine list, especially the bin ends which were well priced.

Staff are all naturally approachable and pleasant rather than "corporate". As I said in my header, i wasn't paying as this was a business trip but I would have been happy to do so, as this is a very good quality hotel, priced well and excellently placed between the train station and the "harbour".

Room Tip: Use the luggage storage facility before and after check in .... it frees up the day for exploring
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
John D, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Bristol City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2014

Dear Guest.

Thank you for your 5* review and for taking the time to us your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. My team will be delighted to hear that both you and your husband enjoyed your stay with us. I will ensure your review is displayed on our TripAdvisor board in our staff canteen for all team members to see.

I was very pleased to read that your felt the hotel was spotless, the beds were comfortable, that you liked the rainfall shower and also the scent of the toiletries. It was also pleasing to read that you enjoyed your meal in our Kiln Restaurant and that the staff were all 'naturally approachable and pleasant'

We very much look forward to welcoming you both back to the hotel again soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,805)

Reviewed 14 May 2014

Apart from an odd eggy smell the hotel itself was very nice. Spacious clean room, and the warm cookie on arrival was a nice touch. However we were woken several times in the night by loud stag and hen do goers loitering in the halls. At one point they were confronted by another guest and an Eastenders-style slanging match ensued. If the hotel is a magnet for stag and hen do's perhaps some hall security is in order?

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
John D, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Bristol City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

Dear Guest.

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I was very sorry to read that you were disturbed by other guests in the hotel, we do always have a Duty Manager on duty and if they are made aware of any disturbances they will act on this and ensure any issues are dealt with. I can confirm we do have CCTV in the hotel and the Duty Managers conduct regular security walks. I am very sorry that on this occasion this was not picked up and for any inconvenience caused to you. I will ensure you feedback is passed onto the relevant departments ensuring we regularly monitor this.

I was however delighted to read that you felt the hotel was 'very nice' and that felt the warm cookie on arrival was a 'nice touch'. The cookie is a signature of the 'DoubleTree by Hilton' brand and all guests arriving at the hotel receive a cookie when they check in. We do hope you will come and stay with us again.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

My partner and I stayed here the weekend just gone was such a lovely stay the Hotel is beautiful, staff were very polite, room was perfect no complaints. Over all was well worth the money and would definitely come back here again just make sure we eat in the hotel next time. Wish we could of stayed another night. Thank you

Room Tip: Go for a king room was so nice having a larger bed
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
John D, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Bristol City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Dear Guest.

Thank you for the 5* review you have given the hotel. I was delighted to read that you and your partner had a lovely stay with us and that you both felt the hotel was 'beautiful'. I was also pleased to read that the staff were 'polite' and your room was 'perfect' for you both.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon. You can always find our best guaranteed rates and offers on our website and in addition you can earn points in our world renowned Hilton HHonors loyalty program.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

Organised an evening event for nearly 100 guests. Room was large and airy, food was good and served promptly. Staff were extremely helpful in helping us prepare the room with our specific requests ahead of the event.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
John D, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Bristol City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

Dear Guest.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review in relation to your evening event which you held at the hotel last month. I was extremely pleased to read that the event room was to your liking, was spacious and that the food/service was good. I will ensure you feedback is passed onto the relevant departments.

I was also delighted to read that the staff were extremely helping to you with the preparation of the event ensuring all your needs were met. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

As a party of six we stayed over Easter to celebrate a family member's birthday.
The Hotel lived up to its usual high standards. A friendly welcome was followed by an efficient check-in for all of us.The bedrooms were clean ,comfortable and well supplied with fluffy towels, ample tea and coffee, quality toiletries, free WiFi and a large TV. Breakfat was varied, well cooked and supplimented by a plentiful choice of continental alternatives. The birthday dinner was exceptional, served in the historic Kiln Restaurant, with the usual mix of friendly familiarity and professionalism. Thank you to everyone who contributed towards making this visit such a special and memorable occasion.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
John D, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Bristol City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Dear Guest.

Thank you for your review regarding your stay and birthday celebrations with us last month. I was delighted to read that your felt the hotel 'lived up to its usual high standards' and that you enjoyed your stay with us.

It was pleasing to read that you were greeted with a 'friendly welcome', 'efficient check in', your bedrooms were 'clean and comfortable' with 'fluffy towels and 'good quality' toiletries. I was also delighted to read that your birthday dinner in the Kiln Restaurant was a 'memorable one' and 'exceptional'. I will ensure your review and kind comments are displayed in our staff canteen for all team members to see.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again very soon.

Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

Overall, a very nice hotel. Recent renovation and the rooms have a clean, modern feel. Staff were generally friendly and helpful.

For me there were a few challenges, in particular the size of my room- which could only be described as tiny. To be fair, I was at the hotel for nine days, and the room seemed to shrink each day. The bathroom was small and completely lacking in counter space (where do I put my shaving cream, toothpaste, etc.?). A personal annoyance was the shower arrangement- a sheet of glass covering half the shower, and allowing water to splash on the floor. I do not understand the logic although the approach seems common throughout the UK.

The restaurant is nice (interesting use of what was previously a glass kiln). Room service menu is very limited but there are good restaurants within walking distance.

I would come back- having stayed in a number of properties in Bristol, I like this one the best (within my price range). Try it- I think you will like it.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear Guest.

I was pleased to read that you felt the hotel was 'very nice' and that you liked the new décor of the hotel. The hotel underwent a £5 million renovation programme last year which saw all areas of the hotel being fully refurbished.

I was disappointed to read that you found your room and bathroom to be small. When you next make a booking with us please ask for some details regarding our deluxe rooms as these are larger than the standard rooms and may be of more comfort to you. You can always find our best guaranteed rates and offers on our website and in addition you can earn points in our world renowned Hilton HHonors loyalty program.

I was delighted to read your final paragraph stating that you have stayed in a number of properties in Bristol but you 'like ours the best'. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 10 May 2014

Double Tree have some great hotels. This is one of them.

A short walk from the main Temple Meads station.

Great clean, modern hotel, with comfy room, love the comfy beds and modern bathroom / style of the rooms.
Nice toilet items in bathroom - makes a good touch. Clean fluffy towels.

Had room service as was late arriving - great quality food, home made and quick service.

Lunch in the bar area on day 2 was also good.

Would reccomend.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo

Dear Guest.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay with us. It was fantastic to read that you feel the brand of DoubleTree by Hilton have some great hotels including ours.

The location of our hotel for guests using Bristol Temple Meads Train Station is great as we are only a very short walk away, we are also only a short walk into the city centre and Bristol harbour side.

My team will be delighted to read all your kind comments regarding your bedroom, bathroom and your dining experiences in the hotel, I will ensure your review is posted on our TripAdvisor board in the staff canteen. We hope to see you again soon.