“Remarkably good hotel”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Bristol City Centre
Ranked #9 of 39 Hotels in Bristol
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I am a status member of Hilton's loyalty programme. I don't usually bother mentioning this in reviews but it's central to this one, because I was treated absolutely superbly. Even though I had an excellent rate, I was given an upgraded room, free car parking and a free drink - status benefits for the top tier even though I'm not quite there. Clearly the hotel (which has competition from three other Hilton properties nearby) is attempting to attract the business of status travellers.

That said, the hotel is well worth a visit for anyone. Arriving late before a wedding a little way away I didn't want to go out and the food was (though not at all exciting) up to scratch for a business hotel and well priced with generous portions. The staff were extremely friendly and capable.

Breakfast the next morning was great if you wanted a cooked breakfast, but the other selections were a little lacking.

The room was excellent, nicely refurbished and extremely comfortable, although even on the top floor there was some outside noise.

Overall I would definitely return, especially because of the loyalty extras I would get - but it's worth it for anyone at a good rate.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
John D, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Bristol City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Dear Guest
We were delighetd to recieve your 5 star review particularly as you are a member of Hilton's loyalty programme. As you already know, Hilton HHonors members are very loyal to the Hilton Brand and we have a responsibility at hotel level to ensure that we don't take your loyalty for granted. I like to think we do all we can to recognise Hilton members and it sounds as if you appreciated our efforts.
We hope you won't need to look any further than our hotel next time you are coming to stay in Bristol.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Only spent one night here but was very good, only 5 minute walk to city centre, all hotel amenities were first class, friendly check in and were happy to change my original booking from double room to twin with no fuss.
Rooms were clean and bed very comfy with large HD TV but no fridge. Bathroom and shower were good. Water pressure wasn't great but large walk in shower and head were ideal for what I needed.
24hr gym was great for what I needed and was ideal for me to use at 0530 - very well equipped also. Breakfast was excellent with the buffet serving everything and all fresh and great tasting.....
Definitely will be staying here again.

Room Tip: All very good!!!!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear Guest

Delighted to read that you will be staying with us again and please remember you will always get the best available rate on our Hilton website.
Our 24 hour gym is an addition to the hotel since we became a DoubleTree by Hilton and offers our guests a bit more choice for when they want to exercise.
Thank you for your "excellent" comments concerning our breakfast which I have passed on to the team.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Stayed for weekend. Excellent location. Close to harbour, shops and restaurants. Hotel superb - friendly staff, excellent choice for breakfast. Clean large room. Public area, spotless clean. Everything you could ask for for a weekend break.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our hotel and we were particularly pleased that it was a 5 star review.
We do have an excellent location and with so many events and festivals taking place in Bristol over the summer, our hotel offers our guests a fantastic opportunity to explore this wonderful city.
I was delighted to hear that you had such a positive experience staying at our hotel and I do hope you will visit us again next time you are in Bristol.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

The staff were friendly and helpful, even giving me some history of the glass kiln being used as the hotel restaurant. The room I had was clean and comfortable, not much of a view, and an increadible 15 power outlets! I felt completely under-equipped.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your 5 star review - we really appreciate it and never take these for granted.
Our restaurant is very unique and I am pleased that the staff were able to give you some history on The Kiln. We have just produced some nice artwork with a history on The Kiln in print which we will hang up outside the entrance for all to see.
I agree 15 electrical sockets does seem rather a lot. However, the modern traveller brings a lot of gadgets with them for an overnight stay - but 15, not so sure!

Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

What a great hotel for a great price great bedrooms great bar area however did not experience good as price was room only great location. Found it difficult to get to due to one way system. Would recommend people to stay here previously stay at radisson blu which was good too easy to walk into the main bar area

Stayed: June 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you so much for your GREAT review.
We were really pleased that you experienced so many "greats" during your stay with us.
I am pleased to say that Bristol City Council have listened to our requests to help improve the one way system and whilst this has taken sometime to resolve, I do hope that they will start the work soon.

Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

I found this Hotel to be just okay, the room was £164 B&B (overlooking the big AC units, Rm 118) I think it was overpriced for what it was (a slightly better version of a Premier Inn to be honest) there was an under stocked Tea/Coffee tray no bottled water and poor service at reception (we had to wait 40 minutes for a taxi, which we were told would be 5 minutes) and I had to be the one to remind the receptionist it still hadn't arrived!

Also as it is quite close to a neighbouring Church we were awoken by the bells ringing at 8:30am Sunday morning!!

Breakfast was okay, a Buffet with a few stray hairs in!!!

I wished I had spent a few more pounds and stayed at the Hotel du Vin!

Stayed: July 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and I am sorry that your stay was not more memorable for you.
We are always happy to provide additional tea and coffee in the room and this can be requested by asking any member of staff who would have arranged it for you.
We do provide water in the room as a benefit to our Hilton HHonors members and would always strongly recommend anyone to join the scheme as the benefits are significant.
I have looked into the taxi situation. I think you may have been the guest that wanted to pay by credit card and unfortunately the company we use only takes cash and therfore we had to source another company for you. I do apologise that there was such a delay.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

The Staff were very attentive to my and other guests needs. Stay was very pleasant and most relaxing. Breakfast each morning was a delight with all options on the menu available and no trouble to the staff and cook, regardless of how busy they were. Particular thanks to Lorraine and cook Becky who remembered me and my vegetarian sausages each morning. Highest compliments to the chef and staff for making it a home from home.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Dear Guest

Thank you for a great review.
I have passed your comments on to Becky and Lorraine who were delighted to get some personal feedback. I am really pleased that they were able to remember your order each morning. Both ladies have worked at our hotel for a number of years now and always deliver consistently high service standards.