“Great location - decent hotel”
Review of Avon Gorge Hotel

Avon Gorge Hotel
Ranked #34 of 39 Hotels in Bristol
Reviewed 2 April 2008

Unlike most other people writing reviews, I liked this hotel! This is probably to do with the fact I got a complementary upgrade to a lovely suite with great facilities (particularly the bathroom). No, the decor isn't super-modern, but it fits with the style of the hotel. I didn't see any problems at breakfast, even though the hotel was pretty full.
The location is unbeatable - Clifton Village would be a wonderful place to live - it's full of interesting small shops, and has loads of restaurants, bars etc. The view of the bridge + gorge from the terrace and some of the rooms is fantastic.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Avon Gorge Hotel

Reviewed 9 March 2008

Thought we'd signed up for a quaint old-style weekend break. Instead got incompetent staff, tired rooms and utter chaos at breakfast. All the guests were going nuts. A shame because in the right hands the location & building would make for a great hotel.

• Stayed: February 2008
Reviewed 7 March 2008

Stayed in room 122 for one night this week. Checked in late and out early so didn't use much in the room; but it did seem to have refurbed in the last few years. Bathroom was clean and functional if not quite as modern.
The lobby and especially the residents' bar are modern and in very good shape.
Parking was surprisingly easy considering it is Clifton Village - there were two spaces right outside and several more close by.
However, I did find the room absolutely freezing. Not just air-conditioning cool, but uncomfortably cold even when in bed.
The radiator was on, but it didn't seem to help. I mentioned this to the clerk on check-out, but she didn't seem interested.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 February 2008

The Avon Gorge hotel was probably very grand 50 years ago but no longer. It has a fabulous location with easy access to the very vibrant Clifton Village and to Bristol City Centre but in recent years the place has really gone down hill.

The room we were given was freezing cold with no heating in the bedroom or the bathroom. When we first complained we were offred a free standing heater for the room - not the kind of thing you want if you are paying over £100 per night. We had paid for a room with a view of the gorge and the bridge but the window was tiny.

We were then offered a second room and it already had a free standing oil filled heater switch on - the room was not so cold but it was a much bigger room and was offered to us a free upgrade

The hotel staff checked the room with me and said that it wasn't warm enough so we were offered a further upgraded to a small suite - this was very warm and had lots of space.

Nevertheless the room and indeed the hotel as a whole has seen better days. New carpets, curtains and furnishings are needed.

The bathroom in our suite had his and hers wash basins but the taps didn't match whilst the enormous bath had a jucuzzi but it had clearly given up the ghost some time ago.

Some lights needed replacement bulbs.

Breakfast was OK but nothing to get excited about.

Bristol is a great city and Clifton is a great area but think twice before booking the at the AGH

The staff were on the whole very helpful.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 February 2008

I'm relocating to Bristol with work and have stayed here a lot since January while I find somewhere permanent. The location is great, the views stunning, the village has great restaurants and shops - in short everything you need. But, but but... The hotel itself is the epitome of faded glory; the price of rooms is punitive for what one gets. Last night £95 (approx 145 euros, 185 USD) bought me an afterthought of a twin room at basement level. The TV signal was Soviet-quality, there was only one power point (the management may not be aware that the average 21st century business traveller has a laptop, mobile phone and MP3 player that all need plugging in). The breakfast selection is very poor and the waiter wanted to charge me for an espresso rather than the "free" opaque filter coffee. I don't approve of this penny-pinching, considering my company is leaving the best part of £2k with the Avon Gorge putting me up there. They also tried to charge me for a Sunday Guardian [sic!] and then argued with me when I informed the lady that a) the Guardian isn't published on a Sunday, and b) even if it was I didn't order it! From now on, I will insist that our travel service books me in to the more consistent, higher quality and believe it or not, cheaper, Marriott in central Bristol.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 February 2008

I stayed here on a B&B basis for one night, whilst attending a business meeting at another location.

On arrival, we were lucky to be able to park on the steep road to the rear of the hotel, but I can see that parking might be a problem sometimes. The hotel is set in a spectacular location, in Clifton village just below the Clifton Suspension Bridge, which can be viewed from the restaurant and hotel bars.

We dined out at one of the good selection of restaurants which are very close by, though, at the time of my stay, we were offered discount on dining at the hotel, where the menu looked interesting. I think I would have tried dining there if I had been staying for more than one night.

My room was clean and comfortable, though the decor and fully functional bathroom were a little dated.

Breakfast was buffet style, with a good selection of continental and cooked options, and was enjoyed with the magnificent view of the bridge!

The staff I encountered were predominantly young and very enthusiastic and helpful, especially those on reception.

I was sad that I could only stay for one night, as I would have liked to have explored the area more - the zoo and downs are very close - and would certainly consider staying here for fun as a 'short-break' .

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
TheAvonGorge, Front Office Manager at Avon Gorge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2016

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write us such a glowing review. We are absolutely thrilled you had such a pleasant stay with us. Your positive feedback has been passed on to our staff members.

We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 17 December 2007

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)