“A Grand Hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #25 of 37 Hotels in Bristol
Truro, United Kingdom
“A Grand Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2013

We stayed one night at this hotel to see a gig nearby. We were moving on but would have liked to have tried another night there. The hotel is a grand old building, a bit worn in places, but clean. We had booked a room with a view, the hotel overlooks the Clifton Bridge. We were not disappointed with the room. It was large, had a balcony and overlooked a garden. The receptionists were friendly and helpful. We had booked room only but were offered breakfast at £6.50 each the next morning so took the offer. Breakfast was self service. It was very busy and staff were struggling to keep up, some guests had to wait for a table. The food was good and we enjoyed it.
Parking needs a permit from reception and is on the road or side road.
On settling up we found a bar bill added to our bill. When querried it was taken off without any fuss.

Room Tip: Book a room with a view.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (306)
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2013

Stayed in a newly refurbished room overlooking the gorge.Big and spacious room and nicely appointed bathroom but although the room was very well heated the bathroom had no heating.This Easter has produced unseasonably cold weather and a heated bathroom would have been nice.Also the double bed for the size of room is rather small...probably four feet.Larger people beware!
Breakfast on day one was really excellent...top quality ingredients cooked to order.Day two same top quality ingredients but due to the hotel being full,everything was a help yourself buffet served from a "hot" plate.I have yet to stay in a hotel using one of these that manages to produce a hot breakfast and the Avon Gorge is no exception.
Friendly,helpful staff & the view on a summer's day from the terrace must be spectacular.Good access to Clifton village and various restaurants.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
London, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2013

My wife and I went there just for our Easter holiday break 1st day, the room is ok but the service is just not good enough. Especially the hotel pub I.e. dinning place, the service is just absolutely ridiculous, order my food and waited for so long and when I asked to about my food, the manager said they have missed the order! And when I make the complain, he asked me to leave the area and offered me refund! This is first to,e in my life to encounter such a bad service restaurant or pub in a hotel like this! Really really bad!

• 1 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Bristol hotels

Poole, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2013

I'm sure the hotel's lovely. Unfortunately I can't comment on that as I've just had a very frustrating booking issue. Yesterday I made an online booking for 2 nights over Easter weekend for 2 adults and one 5 year old child. The fact that this was for 3 people, including the age of the child, was clearly stated on my initial booking request and on my booking confirmation. The website also asked me to specify that an additional bed was needed in the room for my son. I did this.
I received an e-mail today telling me there are no 'extra' beds available. This was stated as a plain fact and no apology was offered in the e-mail. I rang to check what was going on and I was told in a matter-of-fact way that even though my booking had been accepted for 3 people, they could now only provide two beds. No alternative arrangements could be made. The staff member I spoke to asked 'can't your son sleep in the double bed with you?' as if this was something normal that you'd quite happily pay £158 for! I was also told that there's normally a cancellation fee of £79 for late cancellations! Obviously I refused to pay this and the member of staff agreed to waive the fee, but in a tone which suggested that she was doing me a favour. The whole episode is very frustrating, as I'd already made bookings for other attractions etc. over the weekend. While this isn't the hotel staff's fault, the complete lack of admission that the hotel had done anything wrong and the impression that they were doing me a favour by not charging me £79 to cancel a booking made in good faith but which they were unable to honour has left me feeling rather frustrated and underwhelmed. As said, I'm sure the hotel is lovely, but my advice would be to book over the phone rather than online, and my impression of the friendliness, helpfulness and professionalism of the staff is not a good one.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Richard C
Cornwall
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2013

Sunday morning and my wife and I arrived at the B&B we had booked in Bristol; we had been asked to be no later than mid-day as the proprietors were due to go out at that time, so we turned up at 11.40. No answer - rung the bell again - still no answer - phoned on the mobile - "we are not available at present, please leave a message": just what you need when facing an afternoon and evening of commitments and nowhere to spend the night!
My wife spotted the Avon Gorge Hotel across the road - let's give it a try.From the moment we walked through the door to the time we left 24 hours later there was not a simgle thing that could have been improved upon.
Pleasant, helpful staff, a beautiful large clean bedroom with large modern ensuite, spectacularly clean and well-equipped - properly functioning shower in a bath that one could get in and out of without fear of injury. The public rooms are grand, the service beyond excellent - it's not often I leave a cash tip in addition to the service charge - dinner at 9.o'clock on a Sunday night?- No problem; how about shoulder of venison for a starter - or a sublime grilled mackerel with roasted cherry tomatoes? As for breakfast, how often are you greeted by name by the maitre 'd? How often to you see Eggs Benedict on the menu - and properly poached, none of this steamed in a pan nonsense, with home-made hollandaise sauce, the recipe for which must be locked in a vault somewhere. Then, to finish off, hot croissants and Danish Pastries to die for, made in their own kitchen by their own pastry chef!
It wasn't until we checked out that we realised that the room and breakfast rate was £11 less than the B&B we had so fortunately missed out on.............

Room Tip: In summer it's worth a bit extra to have a room with a view of the gorge - in winter it hardly m...
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2013

The room and bathroom were perfect. So spacious with high ceilings and masses of period detail. The hotel is being gradually refurbished and our room had been newly decorated to a high specification, the bathroom had natural light, was spotlessly clean and felt airy and fresh; all heating was adjustable so always comfortable. The breakfast was one of the best we'd had, everything fresh and beautifully cooked. the staff are all courteous and highly efficient. I recommend this beautiful hotel most highly, it will enhance a stay in this glorious city.

Room Tip: A room with a view of the bridge makes a good stay even better.
solihull
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2013

stayed in nov 2012, nice room, geat big bed, just a nice place, all round. nice romantic weekend or a mid week work trip. the village is nice, and the local cider is even nicer !!! just stayed a few nigts but would go back for another stay, for sure.

Room Tip: second floor over looking the bridge.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business