“Really lovely hotel”
Review of Avon Gorge Hotel

Avon Gorge Hotel
Ranked #33 of 39 Hotels in Bristol
Reviewed 24 November 2013

I only stayed one night with my partner but the hotel was lovely. The room was spacious enough with lovely modern bed and clean comfortable bedding. The bathroom was also clean and modern. The staff were all very professional and polite. We paid extra for a view of the bridge which was well worth it. Our friends didn't and stayed at the front of the hotel. They loved their room too. They said there bathroom was in another room through a walk in wardrobe! I didn't eat here so cannot comment about the food. I would love to stay here again.

Reviewed 24 November 2013

My wife had a hankering to revisit some places from her childhood in the Bristol area so we checked out Last Minute and came up with this Hotel. The outside is a little sad, but the inside and the staff, food accomodation more than made up for this minor thing. We had a little trouble finding somewhere to park as there was a wedding going on when we arrived, but we told the staff where we had parked and they said that was fine. The room was ready and clean, the hotel staff very friendly and helpful. We ate out at Zizizis and went back to the hotel for the rest of the evening. There is a loverly terrace outside the main bar, the selection of beers was good and the atmosphere nice. Our sunday morning breakfast was fabulous. There was everything to choose from all plentiful and provided again by very attentive staff. This was only one night stay and we throughly enjoyed it. We would definatley recommend this Hotel for a visit.

Room Tip: The rooms that overlook the River Avon have a nicer view.
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Wonderful views of the suspension bridge from the restaurant and our room at the back. Staff were very courteous and attentive - everything seems really well run. Our room was beautifully appointed and very quiet so we were more than comfortable - apart from a non-functional radiator, with only a small portable heater, on two cold nights. Parking was a bit of a problem, probably due to the location in a classy area of Bristol but we were lucky enough to nab one of the few assigned to the hotel. The restaurant offered a pleasing variety of menu choices for dinner and we saw several people taking afternoon tea, which looked sumptuous, if a bit pricey.

Room Tip: Try to get a room at the back, overlooking the gorge.
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Nice hotel with great views of the suspension bridge from the restaurant and rooms at the back. Our room seemed to be newly refurbished and there was renovation work ongoing in other parts which were cordoned off.
Good location with lots of buzzy pubs and restaurants nearby.
Breakfast wasn't included in the price we paid however we booked it at reception as exceptional value at £6.50 per person. It was buffet style with lots of choice in a nice setting with views over the gorge.
Overall only negatives were the lack of shower pressure and also the fact that I had booked 2 rooms at the same cost but the one turned out to be considerably larger than the other. There are apparently 3 room types - gorge view, village view or suites but within these price categories the room sizes vary as it is an old building so it's basically a matter of pot luck what size room you end up in! This wouldn't deter me from booking again however and as we loved Clifton and no doubt we will be returning for another stay.

1  Thank Domino98
Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

I had business in Filton so I stayed in the nearest decent looking hotel I could find that wasn't booked up. I only slept in the hotel and also had breakfast. Room was comfortable breakfast was fine if a little slow arriving. Only poor point for me was complete lack of parking in the immediate vicinity hence 3 rather than 4 stars. Great view of the gorge.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 November 2013

Spent sunday to wenesday at the avon gorge and i must say it was great, the staff were friendly and helpful,the flowers i had order for my wife were very nice(cost £35 you could also have £20)
they were in the room when we arrived. The room was very nice with a great view of the bridge.
Food was great and again the staff were very good.
The only thing i would say is they could do with a lounge to sit in, and you must ask for sweetners
if you use them!

Room Tip: Pay the extra for a room with a view
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank paul s
Reviewed 13 November 2013

An invitation to be a guest at a wedding chose the hotel for me. An excellent choice, if you are going to stay in a hotel in the Bristol area. Why plum for The Avon Gorge Hotel, over other hotels? Well, opting for this hotel comes with the bonus of an unforgettable, unbeatable, awe-inspiring iconic view. The Grade I listed, Clifton Suspension Bridge, by Brunel.
Reason enough for anyone and as an ideal wedding location.
This historic bridge presents an amazing backdrop from the hotel terrace. Even couch potatoes will be inspired to take that early pre-breakfast walk to take the air and witness the panoramas both up and down river, from high above the Avon Gorge. The bridge is just a stones throw from the hotel. In autumn, the steep sided gorge, across from the hotel, gets a 'New England' makeover, as the leaves change colour. You may not be a Pro-photographer, but the backdrops are just perfect. Outstanding wedding photographs were created on the terrace.
The hotel? No problems there. They gave me what I wanted. My room was clean, spacious and comfortable. I had instant hot water and the towels were soft and plentiful. My big bed was comfortable and there was plenty on offer at breakfast. All the staff were smartly turned out, polite and helpful.
Next time I need to stay in the Bristol area, it will definitely be at this Hotel. This will be May 2014, when a daughter in the same family gets hitched.
I just can't resist that view from the hotel... gorgeous or what?

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family