“excellent hotel”
Review of Avon Gorge Hotel

Avon Gorge Hotel
Ranked #34 of 39 Hotels in Bristol
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We stayed at this fantastic hotel whilst staying in bristol to watch lets rock 80s. We stayed over for 1 night on a very busy Saturday, the staff were very friendly and helpful and couldnt help us enough. We checked in to friendly and helpful reception staff and had a guided tour around the hotel. The views over the bar terrace were amazing, overlooking the river and the bristol bridge. We had breakfast on the terrace and it was an amazing breakfast.The room for the price was excellent and so comfortable, worth every penny of our stay. We will definately be staying in the hotel again as weve stopped in loads of hotels around the Bristol area, this hotel is by far the best hotel weve stayed in. A very special thank you to Jamie the bar manager for his pleasant handling of our stay, so nice to see a friendly and polite person on our stay

Room Tip: views of the bristol bridge rooms
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
TheAvonGorge, General Manager at Avon Gorge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Many thanks for your kind words on the team, rest assured that will pass on your comments.

Reviewed 13 June 2014

Albeit I have never stayed overnight at the Hotel, the other services they offer for non-guets/locals are flawless! I have visited the Hotels Bar & Restaurant on several occassions with my Girlfriend's Parents when they have visited from Germany and each time has been as good as the last! The latest visit had seen a different menu with just as much choice and class. The food is remarkable here and you'll never be let down. Whether you are staying for Business or Leisure you won't be disappointed with the Hotel. It boasts amazing views of Bristol's iconic 'Clifton Suspension Bridge' and panoramas of the City all from a large seated and heated Terrace. The Restaurant also have several Dinner Offers throughout the week with a Thursday (I think) being their Steak Night where you can buy x2 Steaks and a bottle of wine for £25, but do keep an eye out for the other offers as they're just as good! Not to be missed if in the area! RECOMMENDED!!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank GarySolan
TheAvonGorge, General Manager at Avon Gorge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Hi Gary,

Many thanks for your kind comments. Glad you enjoyed our Steak night on Thursday, it is great value. Don't miss Fish and Chips night on Tuesdays!
We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

May this weather last forever!

Reviewed 10 June 2014

I stayed here while on business in Clifton, Bristol.

The rooms are excellent, modernly decorated with brilliant facilities including a very large bathroom and fast, free wifi. The big downside and why I only give it 4 stars is the lack of air conditioning.

Food in the hotel is was superb. The quality of the breakfast buffet was second to none - the scrambled eggs were to die for.

Would stay again and recommend to anyone

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
TheAvonGorge, General Manager at Avon Gorge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

Thank you so much for your very kind words. It is always great for the team to read such positive comments.
The downside of having such fantastic historic building is that the installation of Air conditioning is difficult, We are however in the process of equipping all rooms with powerful tower fans. and extra fans are always available on request from reception.

thank you once again for being such a great supported of The Avon Gorge, We look forward to welcoming you back very soon .

Guillaume.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

I stopped here for two nights and on first impressions it is a lovely hotel, very clean and well presented. The room we had was again clean, lovely bathroom and spacious bedroom. At night however, there was a lot of noise coming from the pub below at street level which wasn't great. Breakfast was good overall. The room service for food and drinks at the bar is nothing short of extortionate though. We had two drinks with two bags of crisps at the bar and it cost over £12. This is crazy. I would recommend staying here, however, get a room away from the pub below, ie not room 133 and if you want food or drink, avoid getting it from the hotel because it is seriously expensive.

Room Tip: Not room 133
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback, I was glad to read you enjoyed our newly refurbished rooms and Bathrooms.
I disappointed to hear that you thought the room service your ordered was expensive. It is very difficult for me to comments as I am unable to know what you had ordered however
I would be grateful if you could contact me directly so that I can look into this for you personally.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

I arrived in Bristol to spend 24 hours in the company of my niece and booked on line for my hotel where the Avon Gorge popped up and at a very reasonable price with full English breakfast included I opted for the one night.
From the station it is a good bit out of the centre of town but it sits in a quiet residential area in amongst old Victorian houses and apartments on the top of a hill which overlooks the Bristol suspension bridge.
Sliding doors invite you in to an old world style of reception far removed from the marble interiors the modern hotels seem to have making you feel you entered a rest room. The Avon Gorge had that comfortable feeling walking over the thick pile carpets and the traditional ornaments and furniture gave it that good feel factor. Pleasant polite staff greeted me and took my card for security issued my keys and directed me to the lift.
The rooms were very tidy and the double bed very comfortable which all made for a great sleep with no interruption save for the light coming in under the door to the hall, but a bath towel sorted that. Bathrooms were exceptionally clean but for tall men like myself the fitted shower rain fixed head sticks out of the wall below my chin which made for an uncomfortable shower but I managed.
Breakfast in the dining room at a very reasonable £7.50 was very good with the usual fruits and cereals coffee and tea and a very well cooked full English made to my request. The toast was a bit limp and obviously been sitting around as opposed to prepared fresh.
All in all I was very happy with this hotel and would use it again on my return.

• Stayed: June 2014

Thank you for your very kind comments.
We do have a couple of rooms with rain showers from the ceiling. Please contact me directly on for your next stay I will ensure you have been allocated one them.

we look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

Today 4th June my husband and I arrived at the Avon Gorge Hotel to celebrate my 50th Birthday. He had booked via booking.com. £125 double room for two with a beautiful Gorge view.When we arrived we were allocated our room. However the room looked out almost pavement level to the busy main road at the other side of the hotel. It had twin beds, was dark and you needed to pull the curtains in order not to be seen from the busy road outside. Returning down to reception we were told the hotel was full and we were in no uncertain terms NOT getting a gorge view room as they were all occupied. We were offered a different room but told it would be on same side of hotel with NO View but at no reduction in the price we were paying and offered no inducement to sweeten the deal. I informed the duty manager that it was my 50th birthday and my husband had also booked us in for dinner at the hotel restaurant at 8pm. She shrugged, her attitude was she couldn't care less. I could not believe how rude and complacent she was ruining my birthday surprise. We left in disgust....Hence the attitude of the staff lost our custom of £125 for the Room and probably another £80/100 for my birthday dinner. Her attitude has the hotel business and money. I will inform all my customers and my husband his work colleagues was a crap and uncaring place the Avon Gorge Hotel is

Room Tip: Don't bother we booked. A gorge view room and got basement level looking out onto busy main road
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sean C

Many thanks for your feedback.

I was disappointed that you did not stay with us on this occasion and I can only apologies for the issue with your booking made via booking.com.

I would have loved to be able to resolve the issue with yourself prior to your Tripadvisor review. It is a shame that you did not stay with us and enjoyed the full hospitality of the team and the beautiful view from the Bridge Café Terrace.

I do hope we will have the chance to regain your trust.

Please contact me directly.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

Competent staff, stunning location, well-maintained rooms, but try to avoid the weekend noise and partying -- hard to get a quiet drink at the bar. The breakfast was uneven -- again, on weekends they seem overwhelmed and the noise level rises as the quality of the service drops. Best for a mid-week stay.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo

Many Thanks for your feedback. I was glad to read that you enjoyed our rooms and the service from the team. The White Lion Bar is a busy place when the sun is shining and the best view in Bristol without a doubt. It does become the place to be seen on a great summer day. The bridge café restaurant is a little more quiet and has a raised terrace glass panelled to protect from the wind and noise. We are very fortunate to be able to offer so many varied option. it is a great place for everyone.