“Brilliant setting for a summer evening...”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Avon Gorge Hotel

Avon Gorge Hotel
Ranked #27 of 37 Hotels in Bristol
london
“Brilliant setting for a summer evening...”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

stayed here for one night last week - we booked a room with a gorge view and although it was only visable from one window the room itself was spacious and clean and the bathroom very good. The room was hot but they had put a good fan in there for us that we could set to cold and it was one of the hottest nights of the year to be fair. The food in the Bridge Cafe is very very good and the service friendly and efficient. The view from the drinks terrace and the restaurant terrace are to die for! I would definitely stay here agin - bit pricey but you get what you pay for I guess. Breakfast was buffet style, and again everything you would want, though I would suggest some plain yogurt could be on offer as well as flavoured ones.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (311)
Surrey
Reviewed 18 July 2014

I stayed here for one night this week. As soon as I arrived I went to my room which was a good size, modern and very clean. I had a view over the terrrace bar, river and if I looked to the right the suspension bridge. There were plenty of tables and chairs on the terrace. I had a drink outside in the sunshine with spectacular views of the suspension bridge. I ate in the restaurant and the food was lovely. The receptionist kindly gave me a 25% off discount card off my meal. I was lucky enough to sit on the restaurnat terrace for my meal again looking at the bridge. There was a good choice at breakfast. All the staff seemed very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Berkeley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 July 2014

The Avon Gorge Hotel must have the best location in Bristol for views over the Avon gorge and the city's iconic suspension bridge ... but I guess that depends on your room. I lucked out and found myself in a large sunny room with patio doors leading to a covered balcony with a view towards the bridge - as a Bristolian this was probably wasted on me but lovely nonetheless. The Avon Gorge is creaky and tired but comfortable enough and the staff were friendly and responsive to my requests. The price was a little on the high side but comparable to other independent hotels in the city and worth the extra pennies for the location and to avoid soulless corporate chains. For visitors to Bristol, the hotel is located in Clifton, a leafy and affluent area renowned for its Georgian architecture with plenty of bars and restaurants. We didn't eat at the hotel but the breakfast on the open terrace was good and plentiful. A pleasurable stay.

Room Tip: Ask for room 128.
1 Thank 29nickyf
Cornwall, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We booked a room with a view ,with a strained neck, leaning over a table, I guess you could see the bridge, but the most we could really see from the room, was some wire outside the window probably put there to stop the pigeons. The room itself was large, but the whole hotel had creaky floors and our room was No exception, tbh I guess that's just because of the age. The room was painted the exact same shade as the muddy river outside, very uninspiring. The terrace was lovely and a great atmosphere but dreadful service at the bar, I asked for a medium sweet wine, but what I got was a very dry musky wine, hubby took it back and it was replaced for what tasted like the exact same wine, with a 20 minute queue We didn't go back again. Bar girl tried to overcharge by £12 when we ordered food, good job, OH is an accountant. Evening meal was a burger, it was nice but quite pricey for what it was. Breakfast was nice but cold. We had stayed there for a special treat as it was our daughters wedding but were left feeling flat and disappointed.

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

I bought a room here for two nights for my parents. On the first night they were woken up at 0530am by the drunk boyfriend of a girl in the next room trying to kick down the next door whilst shouting and screaming. This went on for some time. The hotel said that they had dealt with the problem and assured us it wouldn't happen again. On the second night the same girl brought some friends back to the hotel at 2am and proceeded to continue drinking in the room and playing loud music. Whilst the hotel can't control who stays in their accomodation, in no way should the guests have been allowed to stay for a second night after waking up guests in the manner that they did. I would not book a room here again.

Stayed July 2014
3 Thank Brrristol

Travellers are raving about these Bristol hotels

Derby
Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for one night had a large room but no aircon. Room was very hot and cooling fan they put in the room was to noisy so couldn't sleep. The whole hotel smelt musty and car park only has twenty space, so parking was a nightmare. Breakfast was terrible cold and had to send back twice. For the price you pay you would have expected a better service.

The plus side location for Clifton village and the view of the bridge, both of which can be had for free if you slept rough. This would be an improvement on hotel.

I won't be staying here again.

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank DJHDerby
Parbold, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 July 2014

This hotel has a lot going for it - the view from the terrace is excellent. The gorge and bridge are the star attraction and it is not far from good restaurants and shops.
The bar and café are modern and attractive but you do pay for it. £9.50 for a large glass of wine is more than I have paid in London hotels.
We booked a suite and expected to have a decent view. My wife was disappointed when we were told that the room was out of the hotel down the road about 40 metres and then approached down stairs below street level.
The suite was massive - kitchen (2 cups and a kettle) had a fridge but little else. The dining room had a large table and 6 chairs - large lounge, hallway, double bedroom and modern bathroom.
Much bigger than we expected but no real advantage as we would have been happy with a two room suite not an apartment.
The view was a garden surrounded by trees and shrubs with no sign of the bridge.
The sun terrace at the back of the hotel was brilliant if you could afford the bar prices and as I was hosting about 14 people it got pretty expensive.
Breakfast was good but staff didn't look that happy - it just takes a smile and a comment to change that perception.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business