1,306 results
All reviews clifton suspension bridge white lion great view of the bridge balloon fiesta third floor hotel bar full english lovely room stayed for one night parking permit
Reviewed 1 week ago

Appalling customer service. Scalded by hot water as cafetiere incorrectly prepared by inexperienced untrained staff.
Head Office response was that the hotel is going through a transition period with a complete new team and new Restaurant Manager and training does take time which they're sure I can imagine!.
Breakfast charges were refunded which considering we had to leave breakfast to get cold water onto the burn is hardly generous.
We had visited for our wedding anniversary and breakfast on both mornings was atrocious. Incorrect orders, burnt food, 4 requests for coffee which arrived after food had been eaten. Asked for apple juice to be told they didn't have any so had to point it out on the shelf!
Room was comfortable but nothing special. Accident was documented at the time with a follow up call promised by the duty manager who either forgot or couldn't be bothered.
4" burn on wrist is now blistered but will heal quickly enough however, response to this accident is unacceptable.
I suggested that the cost of our stay was refunded in the circumstances, but HdV felt the offer of an afternoon tea was sufficient. Thankfully Hotels.com have refunded in full and are investigating.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
OnAir68226735023, General Manager at Avon Gorge by Hotel du Vin, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago

Dear nat1962,

Many thanks for your detailed feedback.
As we have already had communication via email,and whilst I deeply sympathize with the incident,we are not responsible for your husband scalding himself with coffee,once placed on the table the pouring of the beverage is with the guest.
The refund for all of the food and beverages that you had whilst staying was refunded before you checked out.
I offered you a champagne afternoon tea by way of an apology and to restore your faith in the hotel and the brand.
The offer still stands and we would welcome you back.

With best regards

Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

Made a reservation for Monday 4th Feb with colleagues from Edinburgh and London so asked for a table with a view. We must have had the best table in the house as the view of the bridge was stunning! Lovely restaurant and I’m impressed with the new decor. Menu slightly restrictive, but service was brilliant from the two girls there. Slight problem with our monk fish dish, but this was quickly and professionally rectified. Only improvement for me would be slightly more varied menu and waitresses to tie their hair up when serving food. Otherwise it would have been a five star rating from me. Will be back and thank you for a lovely evening

Trip type: Travelled on business

Thanks 403suzieb for your lovely review,I am thrilled you enjoyed such a lovely dinner.
I agree we have the best view in the whole of Bristol.
i hope that we can welcome you back again soon,the menu is always changing- some wonderful new dishes are in preparation.

Reviewed 1 week ago

I was excited to visit with a group of friends for brunch since it's changed hands...what a disappointment it was! As soon as we arrived we were made to feel an inconvenience and the atmosphere in the restaurant was really lacking. One man in particular who looked like the manager wouldn't crack a smile to save his life and needs some serious lessons in customer service.
As I'm vegan, I phoned ahead to make sure they had options for me as the brunch menu looked very 'meaty'. The lady I spoke with was very helpful and said she'd ensure there was a note on the booking so I would be accommodated for. They had note of this but just put the normal menu in front of me and walked off?! I flagged them over and asked what my options were. I was told to just choose something and they'd adapt it! hmm what would I have ended up with? It doesn't take much to quickly explain what my options were. The lady kept saying poached eggs so seems the staff need some training in dietary needs as well as customer service. I'd ordered an almond milk latte which I was later told they couldn't make - no reason given. The lady who delivered my avocado on toast(sure) was very nice and let me know they had some vegan sausages she could bring for me to make the breakfast more substantial. Finally a bit of friendly service!! praise the lord for her (blonde hair)

Much improvement needed

Date of stay: January 2019
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends

Dear egm90

I am very disappointed to read your feedback
It appears from the initial call to the delivery of the breakfast we did not meet the standards.
The reason we cannot do an almond milk latte is our coffee is bean to cup and the milk is semi skimmed,so please do accept my sincere apologies,you should have been made aware.

I would really like you to come back and have breakfast complimentary,please do email me directly.

diane.mctague@hotelduvin.com

I look forward to hearing from you

Reviewed 1 week ago

We stayed for a 2 night break, for a birthday treat. And chose the hotel as we had stayed there before it was in the Hotel du Vin group. We have also stayed in other Hotel du Vin hotels. Therefore, we thought we would be in for a treat by booking a superior room with a balcony overlooking the Clifton Suspension Bridge.

The balcony and the view were amazing, there is no doubt about it, but the room was a real let down.

The room was small, dark and uncomfortable and the bathroom, although updated was also small.

We know that the Hotel du Vin hotels are noted for their amazing bathrooms and this was a big disappointment. However, the towels were lovely and the toiletries excellent and the shower worked very well.

The decor was very dark and the lighting poor, it was difficult to read in the room even in the daytime. The easy chairs were very uncomfortable and the bed had a large gap between the mattress and the headboard. The heating was difficult to control.

The service was a bit hit and miss and the White Lion bar extremely noisy.

Unfortunately, the restaurant was fully booked and we had to eat in the bar which was very limited with either burgers or pizzas.

Breakfast was also disappointing with the food being cold on arrival and toast forgotten.
All in all a very disappointing stay and certainly not good value for money as the room was expensive.

We travel to Bristol often but will not be returning here.

Room tip: The side with the view
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Dear Deborah S,

Thankyou for taking the time to post a review with regards to your recent stay,I was very saddened to see you encountered issues during your stay.
The decor is the HdV style and the lighting is currently being improved with dimmer switches so that guests can enjoy a brighter room and can dim if so desired.
I have noted your comments regarding the breakfast service with the Restaurant Manager,as we usually have very good feedback with our cooked to order breakfast,sadly on this occasion we failed to deliver.

I do hope that we can welcome you back again,I really would like to restore your faith in the brand and in the Avon Gorge Hotel.

Please do email me directly
diane.mctague@hotelduvin.com

Look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 1 week ago

recently revisited this hotel back in Bristol on business the hotel has been totally revamped they have spent millions on it and very tastefully transformed it into a beautiful hotel the rooms are fantastic with very large comfy beds big walk in shower rooms
the reception and restaurant staff are very very helpful there are 2 bars one is a formal bar with a leather seating area with a very helpful and informative barman west ham supporter the 2nd bar shows BT football games has bar snacks and a huge decking area
that looks out across the river and the views of the bridge are unbelievable!!
its well worth a stay here!!

Date of stay: December 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled on business

TOMMY S Thanks so much for your amazing review,my team and I are truly delighted that you enjoyed such a wonderful stay!

I hope that we can welcome you back again very soon,

Best Regards