“An excellent hotel right where you'd want it to be.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bristol Marriott Hotel City Centre

Ranked #18 of 37 Hotels in Bristol
Crewe
“An excellent hotel right where you'd want it to be.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

I've been stayed here for 7-8 years, not on business expenses, but spending my own money, when I visit my family, who live in Bristol.

The hotel is within 300 yards of Cabot's circus and a good selection of shops and restaurants, including a Brasserie, Blanc, Carluccio's and a Picollino amongst others. It's in a prime site.

I'm a Marriott rewards client, I have been for nearly 30 years. Internationally Marriott provide me with the basic facilities that I require, when there are no reasonable individual or small chain hotels on hand. So in Singapore I stayed at a Shangri-la hotel, for instance.

I have found the staff at the City Centre Marriott to be helpful and friendly, an absolute for me. The place is clean. The rooms provide the basic facilities that I expect with more space than most chained hotels. I've yet to experience stained sheets, towels that would be rejected from a charity shop and various items left behind by previous guests that have been overlooked by the cleaning staff. (I once found a used condom, on the floor, beside the bed in a room in a hotel under a competitors brand that will remain nameless. It was easily visible when I first walked in, and no it wasn't mine! - needless to say we walked out).

The only slight moan is that the a/c units in some of the rooms can be a little noisy, but hey! They're there and they work!

The rooms have a fridge but you'll need to stock it yourself

There are 3 lifts and at peak times it can take a while to summon a lift to descend to the ground floor or the Terrace level for breakfast, but most of the time they're quick.

Breakfast is the basic, standardised, American style buffet, serve yourself affair. Oh! How I hate those toast machines, first pass the toast is underdone and if one puts it through again it's "caramelised". Burnt in lay-speak. However, at least they don't have a tea/coffee machine. Tea/coffee is brought freshly made to the table and service is quick. The waitresses are good.

I tend to eat out whilst staying at the Marriott City Centre there's a plethora of excellent eateries in Bristol that I prefer to venture out too. Last visit we went to The Turtle Bay Caribbean Restaurant - wicked! The food, of an evening, at the Marriott City Centre is basic hotel food and my culinary ambitions are a little more diversified and ambitious.

The bar area is well laid out and there is one of those big chain coffee lounges. I think it's a Costa. I don't like Costa coffee or indeed the coffee from the other brand that it's alleged have been avoiding paying UK taxes!

The health club and pool are good with very good changing facilities. I've spent many a happy hour in the pool whilst looking after my grand daughter whilst her mother and father were at work. She loves the place.

I approve of the recent changes which have allowed general access to the outside terrace. Previously the outside terrace was only accessible through the Executive Lounge, and therefore only for the use of "the few". Well done Marriott.

The Marriott City Centre Hotel deserves it's 4* rating, I've yet to be disappointed by what's on offer. If you want a hotel that's at a level above this, there isn't one in Bristol, you'll have to go to Bath and stay at the Priory or the Royal Crescent at 3 - 4 times the price. Incidentally, the Bristol Marriott Royal is not better than the Marriott City Centre. I used to stay at The Royal, until 8 yrs ago when the place was ruined by an over ambitious upgrade, which, in my opinion, ruined the uniqueness of the place, also the environs on Fri/Sat night is awash with drunken students who make it impossible to get a good night sleep. also the area around the Royal is out on a limb. Park Street isn't what it used to be. so I changed my allegiances to the City Centre, about 8 yrs ago.

I intend to stay here on many more occasions, in the future. It has what I want and expect!

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank John F
Marriott Bristo... C, Guest Relations Manager at Bristol Marriott Hotel City Centre, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Thank for your review following your continued loyalty to the Bristol Marriott Hotel City Centre. We are so pleased to hear that, as a regular guest, you have experienced comfortable stays with high levels of service, which is what we strive to provide all of our guests.

With regards to the air conditioning units, I am happy to say that we will be getting them replaced in all of our bedrooms, with work starting shortly. This will result in quieter units that produce either hot or cold air at a much faster rate than the ones that we currently have in our bedrooms.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon, and if I can be of any assistance with future arrangements, please feel free to contact me.

Holly Garnett
holly.garnett@marriotthotels.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (423)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Southampton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

I stayed here on business and found the hotel to be your standard Marriott. It was clean and comfortable and the gym and breakfast were both good. My only grumble is that Marriott still charge for the Wifi access. £15 for a 24 hour period for in room access, this day and age its rediculous as many hotels provide it for free. I would have scored it higher had they sorted this out. Otherwise no complaints

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
      Sleep Quality
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Marriott Bristo... C, Guest Relations Manager at Bristol Marriott Hotel City Centre, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Thank you for your comments following your stay here at the Bristol Marriott Hotel City Centre.

Please be advised that our internet is complimentary in all of our public areas. In relation to internet in guest bedrooms, the charges are dictated to us by our provider to ensure that our guests experience high speed and high security internet access.

Everything we do is aimed at providing you with an excellent hotel experience and your feedback is extremely valuable. We truly appreciate you sharing your thoughts with us so that we may continue to deliver exceptional service.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

The stay was very good well located. It is set in an old 1970s building but very preventable inside. The only complaint is the layout of the pool, like a hexagon not ideal for swimmings lengths in.
Breakfast was of a good standard

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review following your recent stay here at the Bristol Marriott Hotel City Centre.

Everything we do is aimed at providing our guests with an excellent hotel experience and we are so pleased to hear that this was achieved during your stay.

We very much hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel again soon and please do not hesitate to contact me on my details below if I can assist with you any future arrangements.

Swansea, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

Stayed for one night. If your doing a bit of shopping in Bristol then this is the hotel for you. Great location right in the middle of shops. We paid for an upgrade and had the executive lounge which was a nice treat. Breakfast was ok but had better in other Marriott hotels.

Room Tip: High floor overlooking City.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

Crawley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

We only stayed one night and found this hotel to be perfectly located because of its central location within easy reach of all main attractions. We had a river side room which was great (if you don't mind the hustle and bustle of the bars and restaurants on a Saturday night).
The room was very clean and modern.
During our stay we had 2 problems: the air conditioning only seemed to work on and off (we did not report this as we only found out during the night) and the tv just turned itself off after about 1 hour of being in use. We reported the problem with the tv and an engineer attended while we were out. Unfortunately they were unable to repair the tv, so in exchange we were given free breakfast and a drink at the bar.
We did not use the free drinks as we came back very late from dinner, but we did have the free breakfast which was very good in quality and selection.
All the members of staff we dealt with were very courteous and professional. All in all definitely a hotel where I would stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the higher floors as you are likely to get less noise from the bars and restaurant...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
      Location
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Everything we do is aimed at providing you guests with an excellent hotel experience and we are so pleased to hear despite an isolated incident you enjoyed your stay with us.

Torquay, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

stayed for three nights whilst attending a conference at the hotel.

room comfortable,clean, welcoming and contained everything needed. the city centre location does mean some traffic noise, so earplugs handy.

the food throughout the event was delicious, and the service excellent.

the leisure facilities were also very clean and welcoming, the only problem I had was opening the coded locker doors with my glasses inside - perhaps that needs a think through for us visually impaired folk.

there are some nice touches here, such as iced water infused with fruit in reception and popcorn being dispensed!

i would gladly come to stay again.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business

Everything we do is aimed at providing you guests with an excellent hotel experience and we are so pleased to hear that this was achieved during your stay.

Yeovil, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

I'll start with a positive, the hotel is in a good central location, ideal for Cabots Circus and central Bristol. We paid for an executive room which was located on the 9th floor. It took 10 mins to check in as there was a massive wedding party staying at the hotel, our room was quite disappointing not particularly big and quite dated, the carpet was in need of being replaced, the old air con unit was so noisy there was no way it could be kept on at night, the bathroom was small and the mini bar had nothing in it what so ever. The bar area was nice but was also used a walk way to other areas of the hotel, the staff were very good and helpful but the cocktails we were drinking were totally different each time a different member of staff made them. Breakfast was good, plenty off choice and all nice and hot. £15 for wifi after already paying £150 for an upgraded room was pretty poor I felt. When we told the receptionist our feelings about the room when checking out she simply said "sorry" All in all I would say the location is great but overall not great value for money.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank richt1977
Marriott Bristo... C, Guest Relations Manager at Bristol Marriott Hotel City Centre, responded to this review, 8 July 2014

With regards to your comments about the feel of the hotel, we do try our utmost to keep our building and the decor well maintained. I apologise that you did not feel that this was the case during your stay and I can assure you that your comments have been taken on board and passed to our management team.

I am happy to say that we will be getting our air conditioning units replaced in all of our bedrooms, with work starting shortly. This will result in quieter units that produce either hot or cold air at a much faster rate than the ones that we currently have in our bedrooms.

We hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel, and please feel free to contact me if I can assist you with any future arrangements.

Clare Walters